tips for "eco" living

Started by lawnseed, February 23, 2014, 10:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Every penny counts. Any tips you have for saving energy/money?

Its taking near a £100 a week to run our house (3000sqft) with the cold weather at the moment. Aaahoooch! About 50 for oil, 20 for coal, 25 for electric and gas cooker plus i'm sawing up any shite I can for the pot belly.. Granted in the summer this will go down but it hasnt really been sub zero so far.. Its not over yet.

Thinking about getting cavity walls pumped it might help but its about £800 (and thats cheap) it wont save all that much theres already white board in the walls. Might get the place done with a heat camera to see where the heats going..

Meanwhile if you put a bucket in the shower before you get in to catch the cold water before it warms you can use it to water your plants they like cold water ::)  theres a tip..  ;D from the ikea.uk website im sure the fellas in somerset never thought of that... ::) :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on February 23, 2014, 10:12:09 PM

Its taking near a £100 a week to run our house (3000sqft) with the cold weather at the moment. Aaahoooch! About 50 for oil, 20 for coal, 25 for electric and gas cooker plus i'm sawing up any shite I can for the pot belly.. Granted in the summer this will go down but it hasnt really been sub zero so far.. Its not over yet.

Thinking about getting cavity walls pumped it might help but its about £800 (and thats cheap) it wont save all that much theres already white board in the walls. Might get the place done with a heat camera to see where the heats going..

Meanwhile if you put a bucket in the shower before you get in to catch the cold water before it warms you can use it to water your plants they like cold water ::)  theres a tip..  ;D from the ikea.uk website im sure the fellas in somerset never thought of that... ::) :D
What cold weather?! Much milder now and if you think it is cold put a jumper on.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 23, 2014, 10:32:55 PM

What cold weather?! Much milder now and if you think it is cold put a jumper on.
That's what I tell my wife all the time.
If she ever thought of turning off a light we'd save a fortune on the ESB bill.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lawnseed

Quote from: laoislad on February 23, 2014, 10:57:48 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 23, 2014, 10:32:55 PM

That's what I tell my wife all the time.
If she ever thought of turning off a light we'd save a fortune on the ESB bill.
She knows what your like when the lights are off..

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on February 23, 2014, 10:12:09 PMMight get the place done with a heat camera to see where the heats going..
I could have a good guess at where hot air is escaping.

Cold tea

We got a meter in with NI Power, best thing you will ever get, shows you what is eating the electricity up and really makes you think of using energy.  I have to say I would recommend it to everyone raging I never did it before.  We use to be with NI Power and then switched to airitricity, even sending regular meter readings in they estimated you for months in advance, so our bills would be 187 for 3 months then 45 for 3 months, it was all over the shop, with a meter you pay for what you use in any given month just like the oil no more estimation, I really like it and it is free to get installed.  From what I gather lots of people are moving to them.

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2014, 07:21:49 AM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 23, 2014, 10:12:09 PMMight get the place done with a heat camera to see where the heats going..
I could have a good guess at where hot air is escaping.
Your mate big al must have some heating bill with his horticultural sideline

The Iceman

There is a great book I have and re-read all the time called "the self sufficient life and how to live it" by John Seymour. He's dead now but used to run a big school of thought place on all this type of thing in the South of Ireland. Every year we take on new projects and this is my go to reference guide.
Home gardening, catching rain from the roof to water the plants, how to rotate crops in a small garden right on to raising animals, harvesting manure for gas etc. etc.
We haven't got overly adventurous just yet but we have a great wee garden going now and some Eco-friendly money savers around the house.

In terms of saving money on your heat I would invest in someone to come in and assess where you are losing it all and borrow money to fix it. If you don't want to do that I would hedge the money saved in the summer time and use it to pay for the heat in the winter time and average your spend out over the year.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Especially for Lawnseed: http://twistedsifter.com/2013/01/50-life-hacks-to-simplify-your-world/

Some are quite good:

MWWSI 2017

All of a Sludden

Man in 3000 square foot house complains that it is hard to heat.

Next week he will be complaining that his range rover is hard on diesel.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

lawnseed

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 24, 2014, 09:54:27 PM

Title tip...
Get a house in cox's with neighbours on both sides who keep the fire lit...

The Iceman

Typical begrudgery.....

Fair play and good luck to him. I tip my hat to any man who works hard and does well for himself.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 26, 2014, 07:00:13 PM

Typical begrudgery.....

Fair play and good luck to him. I tip my hat to any man who works hard and does well for himself.
What if he inherited the lot?  :P

The Iceman

I thought it was a fair questions on how to save a bit of money and reduce bills.....

tyssam5

Quote from: hardstation on February 23, 2014, 10:17:41 PM
£70 a week to heat your house? Fcukin hell....

Be as well down the pub every night at that price.