Best footballer ever from your county.

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2014, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

My take on this. I think we did something similar a while ago, but I can't remember what I said then :) Only lads I can remember seeing, so no Mick O'Connell, Sean O'Neill or Sean Purcell etc.

Fermanagh - Peter McGinnity
Antrim - Kevin Brady
Tyrone - Peter Canavan
Derry - Anthony Tohill
Armagh - Oisin McConville
Down - Mickey Linden
Cavan - Stephen King
Donegal - Karl Lacey
Monaghan - Nudie Hughes

Louth - Paddy Keenan
Meath - Mick Lyons
Dublin - Bernard Brogan
Wicklow - Kevin O'Brien
Wexford - Mattie Forde
Carlow - Brendan Murphy
Kilkenny -
Laois - Joe Higgins
Offaly - Matt Connor
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Longford - Dessie Barry

Cork - Anthony Lynch
Kerry - Maurice Fitzgerald
Tipperary - Declan Brown
Waterford - Gary Hurney
Clare - Odhran O'Dwyer
Limerick - John Galvin

Sligo - Eamon O'Hara
Mayo - Ciaran McDonald
Roscommon - Dermot Earley
Leitrim - Emlyn Mulligan
Galway - Pauric Joyce

Rossfan

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 23, 2014, 09:27:39 PM
Always thought Derek Dougan was a very good roscommon player, or was the long range point against mayo in the 91 final the reason i remember so much when thinking of roscommon players, still have that game on tape, might point
Derek Dougan was a soccer player.
Derek Duggan was a Ros player who was magic at 19 but injuries and playing on poor teams meant he faded away.
As for Francheen Grehan being in the running for best ever Ros player - even for Syfín that's some sh1te.
( don't take it personally Freddie- I always admired your spirit -but let's have realism)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2014, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 23, 2014, 09:27:39 PM
Always thought Derek Dougan was a very good roscommon player, or was the long range point against mayo in the 91 final the reason i remember so much when thinking of roscommon players, still have that game on tape, might point
Derek Dougan was a soccer player.
Derek Duggan was a Ros player who was magic at 19 but injuries and playing on poor teams meant he faded away.
As for Francheen Grehan being in the running for best ever Ros player - even for Syfín that's some sh1te.
( don't take it personally Freddie- I always admired your spirit -but let's have realism)

You seem to have mistake 'best Roscommon player' with the 'best Roscommon team'. Back to school, or are you out on the rag?

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2014, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 23, 2014, 07:02:04 PM
Threads like this our most famous son Dermot Earley will nearly always get our only mention, fair fcuks to Lar,Rosfan for giving O'Malley a mention but its a shame the likes of Aidan Brady,Harry Keegan,Pat Lindsay,Danny Murray,Gerry Connellan,Eamonn Boland,Jimmy Murray,Tony McManus,Bill Carlos,Phelim Murray etc get ignored even though all were outstanding footballers.

Keegan was mentioned only days ago in a similar thread and O'Malley is hardly an obscure figure in GAA lore, Ross.

See no mention of Francie in the above either..
Where does it say team in that y'eejitín
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2014, 09:51:45 AM
My take on this. I think we did something similar a while ago, but I can't remember what I said then :) Only lads I can remember seeing, so no Mick O'Connell, Sean O'Neill or Sean Purcell etc.

Antrim - Kevin Brady
Tyrone - Peter Canavan
Derry - Anthony Tohill
Down - Mickey Linden
Cavan - Stephen King
Donegal - Karl Lacey
Monaghan - Nudie Hughes

Louth - Paddy Keenan
Meath - Mick Lyons
Dublin - Bernard Brogan
Wicklow - Kevin O'Brien
Wexford - Mattie Forde
Carlow - Brendan Murphy
Kilkenny -
Laois - Joe Higgins
Offaly - Matt Connor
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Longford - Dessie Barry

Cork - Anthony Lynch
Tipperary - Declan Brown
Waterford - Gary Hurney
Clare - Odhran O'Dwyer
Limerick - John Galvin

Sligo - Eamon O'Hara
Mayo - Ciaran McDonald
Leitrim - Emlyn Mulligan
Galway - Pauric Joyce

If you're old enough to remember Tohill, Linden etc, I assume you saw Tompkins, Steven O'Brien, Niall Cahalane play? Not jumping on you or anything, but can't see how you would pick Lynch over those 3 at least?
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

downjim

Although they never won all Ireland's the two naturally gifted players I have ever seen playing in Down were Shorty and Benny.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 24, 2014, 11:40:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2014, 09:51:45 AM

Antrim - Kevin Brady
Tyrone - Peter Canavan
Derry - Anthony Tohill
Down - Mickey Linden
Cavan - Stephen King
Donegal - Karl Lacey
Monaghan - Nudie Hughes

Louth - Paddy Keenan
Meath - Mick Lyons
Dublin - Bernard Brogan
Wicklow - Kevin O'Brien
Wexford - Mattie Forde
Carlow - Brendan Murphy
Kilkenny -
Laois - Joe Higgins
Offaly - Matt Connor
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Longford - Dessie Barry

Cork - Anthony Lynch
Tipperary - Declan Brown
Waterford - Gary Hurney
Clare - Odhran O'Dwyer
Limerick - John Galvin

Sligo - Eamon O'Hara
Mayo - Ciaran McDonald
Leitrim - Emlyn Mulligan
Galway - Pauric Joyce

If you're old enough to remember Tohill, Linden etc, I assume you saw Tompkins, Steven O'Brien, Niall Cahalane play? Not jumping on you or anything, but can't see how you would pick Lynch over those 3 at least?

I never got the Larry Tompkins thing. A good player, but I never really enjoyed him as much as other people. Steven O'Brien is a good shout alright, but I just thought Anthony Lynch was a great player for Cork teams that probably never won as much as they should have. It's all subjective I suppose, but if I was picking a team I'd have Anthony Lynch on it before I'd have Tompkins. I might review on the Stephen O'Brien one alright. Niall Cahalane I wouldn't have put in with the others at all.

EC Unique

Can't understand this talk of McGuigan better than Canavan? Canavan IMHO is the best that has ever played the game never mind Tyrone. This is no insult to McGuigan as he was quality but not better than PTG.

AZOffaly

I think Peter Canavan was a great player, no doubt, but I don't think I'd call him the best to ever play the game. It's hard to compare backs and forwards, midfielders and backs etc etc, I think it's really only fair to compare in the same position. Even in the forwards though I can think of a couple that I would put just ahead of Canavan, great and all as he was.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2014, 10:19:57 AM
I think Peter Canavan was a great player, no doubt, but I don't think I'd call him the best to ever play the game. It's hard to compare backs and forwards, midfielders and backs etc etc, I think it's really only fair to compare in the same position. Even in the forwards though I can think of a couple that I would put just ahead of Canavan, great and all as he was.

what forwards would you put ahead of canavan?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Maurice Fitzgerald, Gooch, Matt Connor, John Egan, maybe even the likes of Kevin O'Brien and Dessie Barry. if they were from a different county, would have gotten more notice and more big games. Talent wise those two were lethal as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Peter Canavan, and in his prime it was basically himself and Gooch that were the marquee forwards, before Brogan came good, and slightly ahead of Declan O'Sullivan at his best (a different type of player).

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on February 25, 2014, 10:16:47 AM
Can't understand this talk of McGuigan better than Canavan? Canavan IMHO is the best that has ever played the game never mind Tyrone. This is no insult to McGuigan as he was quality but not better than PTG.

All a matter of opinion and debate.

Mc Guigan didn't even work at his game and look how good he was.
Had Frank been around today and had the benefit of modern day training regime, nutrition, diet, strength and conditioning etc etc, it's scary to think of the type of player he'd have been such was the natural raw talent that he possessed.

The same would apply to a good few others of that era it is fair to say as well.

Peter was an incredible player as well. He worked hard at it and trained and practiced at length.

So it's hard to say who was best given the different eras.

I know who had the most natural raw talent.

O'Muireachartaigh put Canavan in the corner and Frank in the middle.

Imagine had Mc Guigan been in the middle feeding Canavan instead of Canavan having to win his own ball before finishing ?.

AZOffaly

Frank McGuigan taught me the dummy solo, I saw it on the Sunday Game that day he scored 0-11 (I think) against Armagh (I think). I just remember thinking it was class. I used it a lot over the years and I have to say it got me a fair few scores. Thanks Frank.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2014, 10:51:59 AM
Frank McGuigan taught me the dummy solo, I saw it on the Sunday Game that day he scored 0-11 (I think) against Armagh (I think). I just remember thinking it was class. I used it a lot over the years and I have to say it got me a fair few scores. Thanks Frank.

You're welcome.  ;)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2014, 10:50:16 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 25, 2014, 10:16:47 AM

All a matter of opinion and debate.

Mc Guigan didn't even work at his game and look how good he was.
Had Frank been around today and had the benefit of modern day training regime, nutrition, diet, strength and conditioning etc etc, it's scary to think of the type of player he'd have been such was the natural raw talent that he possessed.

The same would apply to a good few others of that era it is fair to say as well.

Peter was an incredible player as well. He worked hard at it and trained and practiced at length.

So it's hard to say who was best given the different eras.

I know who had the most natural raw talent.

O'Muireachartaigh put Canavan in the corner and Frank in the middle.

Imagine had Mc Guigan been in the middle feeding Canavan instead of Canavan having to win his own ball before finishing ?.

i take your point about mcguigans natural ability, but for me Canavan delivered for tyrone pretty much every time he set foot on the pitch and over a sustained period of time.
As well as his ability he was a leader and set the standard for those young lads of that 97-98 minor time coming into the senior ranks.
For me , he is hands down Tyrones greatest player, although mcguigan was certainly special
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either