Neil Francis and gay sportspeople

Started by seafoid, February 19, 2014, 07:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: Cold tea on February 20, 2014, 08:18:22 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 20, 2014, 06:47:23 PM
I think the point of gay pride and the 'coming out' business is for it to become so commonplace that in future we'll return* to a time when it'll be considered no big deal what your sexual preferences are. Nobody will have to 'come out' because they won't feel any pressure to be 'in' in the first place.  Gay pride parades are an act of defiance in cultures where homosexual or bisexual behaviour is or was suppressed, and I think the intention of them is to let gay people know that there's no need to stay in the closet.  It's like the atheist billboards doing the rounds in America at the minute reassuring atheists in religiously-dominated areas that it's okay to be an atheist and that they're not alone.

* Yes, return to a time when it's no big deal. The idea that there's something wrong with homosexual behaviour is a relatively recent invention. In ancient Rome and ancient Greece nobody gave a toss.

Bad choice off words.   ;D  Common place or not a man wanting another man is not a natural thing.
What about a womans ass or is that out of bounds as well?

seafoid

Quote from: ludermor on February 21, 2014, 09:24:53 AM
I think the point of gay pride and the 'coming out' business is for it to become so commonplace that in future we'll return* to a time when it'll be considered no big deal what your sexual preferences are. Nobody will have to 'come out' because they won't feel any pressure to be 'in' in the first place.  Gay pride parades are an act of defiance in cultures where homosexual or bisexual behaviour is or was suppressed, and I think the intention of them is to let gay people know that there's no need to stay in the closet.  It's like the atheist billboards doing the rounds in America at the minute reassuring atheists in religiously-dominated areas that it's okay to be an atheist and that they're not alone.

* Yes, return to a time when it's no big deal. The idea that there's something wrong with homosexual behaviour is a relatively recent invention. In ancient Rome and ancient Greece nobody gave a toss.

Bad choice off words.   ;D  Common place or not a man wanting another man is not a natural thing.
Or any other orifice. What is natural anyway ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

EC Unique

Quote from: hardstation on February 21, 2014, 10:24:13 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 21, 2014, 10:01:18 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2014, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 21, 2014, 09:30:25 AM

Hmmm, methinks the boy doth protest too much!!

Ah, the old 'you don't like Gays so you must be Gay' logic. ::)
You don't like gays?

No. I don't dislike them either.

Orior

I'd love the British royal family to all turn out gay and then they would die out, wouldn't they? Then Elton can take his rightful place on the throne
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on February 21, 2014, 11:28:34 AM
I'd love the British royal family to all turn out gay and then they would die out, wouldn't they? Then Elton can take his rightful place on the throne

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on February 21, 2014, 11:28:34 AM
Would he not empty his bowels regularly anyway ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cold tea

Quote from: seafoid on February 21, 2014, 10:35:38 AM

Men being with women, and don't even start me on the child abuse that is two gay men going for adoption, that thing should never be allowed.

johnneycool

Quote from: Cold tea on February 21, 2014, 02:52:06 PM

Men being with women, and don't even start me on the child abuse that is two gay men going for adoption, that thing should never be allowed.

What about two gay women adopting? Is that Ok?

thebigfella

Bad choice off words.   ;D  Common place or not a man wanting to put his c**k up another man's ass is not a natural thing.

I'd say you can argue living repressed intolerant households would be closer to child abuse over having 2 caring dads. 

The Iceman

Quote from: Main Street on February 21, 2014, 08:53:46 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 20, 2014, 10:01:33 PM
there are probably 3 or 4 threads out of this one.
gallsman you are getting a bit wound up from my contribution earlier in fairness. My question was/is about the motives of the "coming out" I think part of it is for the increased attention. I am not discounting their is honest desire to live out their life as they want to either but I think a lot of it is attention seeking.
It's a curiosity how you consider seeking a lot of attention was part of the motivation for just about the only Irish sportsman to come out,  before he himself was outed. And considering, for the previous 20 years of his existence he lived in fear of attention to that very issue. Was there possibly some  overwhelming catharsis,  coupled with an overwhelming desire for nationwide attention 'look at me, look at my issues'?
Is there any resemblance between your thoughts on the matter and the reality of the experience for Donal Og?
I think you'll find the title of this thread is Neil Francis and gay sportspeople therefore my contributions are not limited to only Donal Og's case?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Kidder81

Donal Ogs brother seems to be trying to get onto the media circuit to make a few quid since coming out. People seem to want to hear about it, no idea why

J70

Bad choice off words.   ;D  Common place or not a man wanting another man ass is not a natural thing.

Think you need to learn the difference between "natural" and "normal/usual/more commonplace".

Black people are much less common in Ireland than white people. Doesn't mean being black is not natural.

Homosexual behaviour is widely seen in non-human mammals too. You saying its "unnatural" in those species?

As for the child abuse comment, either you're on the windup or you're an unthinking, reactionary idiot, because you can't back that up. I'll be generous and opt for the former.

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2014, 04:59:02 PM

Think you need to learn the difference between "natural" and "normal/usual/more commonplace".

Black people are much less common in Ireland than white people. Doesn't mean being black is not natural.

Homosexual behaviour is widely seen in non-human mammals too. You saying its "unnatural" in those species?

As for the child abuse comment, either you're on the windup or you're an unthinking, reactionary idiot, because you can't back that up. I'll be generous and opt for the former.
It's also natural for non-human animals to eat their young  - I give no credit to the its natural argument whatsoever.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on February 21, 2014, 05:00:37 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2014, 04:59:02 PM

It's also natural for non-human animals to eat their young  - I give no credit to the its natural argument whatsoever.....

Well presumably any objection you have then, if any, to homosexuality, is not based on the "its not natural" "argument, unlike the fella I was responding to.

The Iceman

thats another thread - I think it may have been done to death already....