NHL 2014

Started by seafoid, February 16, 2014, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Tipp off to a good start and the hurling season is on. Discuss

Asal Mor

Galway 10 up on Dublin at half time without the Portumna contingent. Just tuned in and heard Padraig Brehony and Johnny Glynn are playing well. Great if some new leaders can emerge in the absence of Hayes and JC. Think I just heard that Laois are  up on Offaly at ht.

Asal Mor

Galway 14 up now. Very positive start with some great performances from some of the young players- Flynn, Mannion, Brehony, Glynn, Cooney. It should inject some much needed optimism into Galway's year. David Burke having a stormer too according to Galway Bay FM.

Farrandeelin

Great manly hurling between KK and Clare...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Was at Armagh v Down this afternoon. You can tell it's only February  :-\

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 16, 2014, 03:20:40 PM
Galway 14 up now. Very positive start with some great performances from some of the young players- Flynn, Mannion, Brehony, Glynn, Cooney. It should inject some much needed optimism into Galway's year. David Burke having a stormer too according to Galway Bay FM.
Looks like a good shtart

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Stickwork or pitch?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2014, 04:59:21 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Stickwork or pitch?
Pitch wasn't bad, the odd wild bounce from a divot but held up well. Couple of points in it at halftime but Armagh were roasted in the second-half - some very sluggish play. Down weren't exactly on fire either but they introduced some decent subs in the second-half. Their CHB, full forward Bailie and sub #23 (Coleman I think) were the pick of them IMO. Early days...

Premier Emperor

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2014, 02:46:00 PM
Tipp off to a good start and the hurling season is on. Discuss
We struggled for a lot of it. Seamus Callanan turned the game around in the 2nd half.

seafoid

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/734/504749/

waterfordlad

Waterford will be disappointed at not taking something from the game in Thurles last night. Tipp were poor in first half and Waterford could have been further ahead. We hit too many wides. Seamus Callanan wasn't seen till the goal which was nicely set up and taken but really came into it then. Bad mistake under the high ball from Stephen O'Keeffe which finished the game in injury time.
Good battle between Clare and Kilkenny in Ennis with the Banner sneaking it by a point.
Cork and Limerick was a good game too and probably the best of the 3 I saw. Limerick did very well to come back for a draw being down to 14 from the first half and well behind too.

orangeman

The Kilkenny and Clare game today. Brilliant entertainment.

I heard this said on the radio and I must say I thought this myself during the course of the game but did any of you think that Clare deliberately targeted Henry at every possible juncture. This was especially noticeable when he would hit a wide or miss a free.

Was this a tactic or just one of those things ?

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2014, 10:00:22 PM

Fair play to Cunningham for sticking at it. I thought he was deluding himself about how big a job they would have to get things back on track but yesterday was a better performance than they gave in any game in  2012. And to see so many young lads stepping up so well is heart warming. Some might say it's only the league but the league is taken a lot more seriously these days and there's great cause for optimism for 2014.

johnneycool

Will Tannian be given the No 6 jersey come the height of summer though?

Liked the cut of the Brehony lad in the white helmet, and the fullback, Burke looked solid enough, but with Moore and Coen either side to ease him into it as well as a very poor Dublin not really challenging.

Interesting game in Ennis, Kilkenny taking a few more passes than before to work the ball out of defence before launching it into Shefflin, larkin and Walter with the clooty grip. The cats have blooded a few defenders with a bit of pace and they'll need it, Paul Murphy out to the half backs is having a greater impact on the game, now taking on the mantel of Tommy Walsh.
Big Walter was doing well, using his physique to get the required space to get that awkward stroke away, and somehow managed to kick a ball wide, 6 yards out with an empty goal at his mercy, a dual star he isn't.

KK had the chances to win it, but Clare steadied themselves to hold on for the win, both will have a huge bearing on where the AI ends up this year..

Henry skelped another lad on the hand yesterday as he was lifting the ball, is he that type of player now in his twilight years?

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 17, 2014, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2014, 10:00:22 PM

Fair play to Cunningham for sticking at it. I thought he was deluding himself about how big a job they would have to get things back on track but yesterday was a better performance than they gave in any game in  2012. And to see so many young lads stepping up so well is heart warming. Some might say it's only the league but the league is taken a lot more seriously these days and there's great cause for optimism for 2014.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831HqYWcUC0
"the most talented bunch of lads underage for the last 10 years has been Galway. Now where are they at senior level"
That was 2010

Mouview should be along in a minute to say they are still shite  :o but it was a great opener for 2014