Roll of Honour

Started by Feckitt, February 15, 2014, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Would agree with Tony on this one. Neil Lennon already suffers incredible hatred and bigotry, and this will only
feed the likes of Campbell in their hatred campaign against Lennon and Celtic. 
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Nally Stand

Quote from: give her dixie on February 16, 2014, 09:13:43 PM
Would agree with Tony on this one. Neil Lennon already suffers incredible hatred and bigotry, and this will only
feed the likes of Campbell in their hatred campaign against Lennon and Celtic. 
Ah sure if it wasn't this, it'd be something else. He'll be grand.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Apparently so

This has nothing to do with Neil Lennon. There are fans being lifted every week for simply singing songs and trying to create an atmosphere in Scottish stadiums. Lads getting their doors kicked in and getting lifted for singing songs like Roll of Honour because of a stupid bill passed by the Scottish government trying to criminalize fans for singing a f**king song. Getting this song into the charts is simply part of a campaign to show this bill up for what it is. How can you be lifted for singing a song that is given official recognition and isn't illegal?

I applaud the FAC for organising this. This bill has to be fought. Neil Lennon has f**k all to do with this. Its the fans who are being affected every week by police harassment 

Gregory Campbell and the rest can f**k off. They're sitting in government with these so called terrorists

T Fearon

What have these songs got to do with Celtic FC? Why are they sung at Celtic Park? It's as ludicrous as the players wearing poppies. Celtic is a club for all and politics should be left at the turnstiles >:(

J OGorman

Quote from: mouview on February 15, 2014, 09:43:15 PM
More jingoistic nonsense.

Has to be a candidate for the boards favourite word

Main Street

I'm heartened that some of you appreciate the merits of living in a land where the dumbest reactionary dimwits in uniform decide how a law should be applied :o
Police verbals? how did we ever do without them?
Sure, why not give legal power to  a policeman to interpret and lay down the law according to their warped opinion?
Who needs proof?  lets just go back to the golden days when a police sergeant's word was 100% proof.

The post GFA criminalisation process continues in its many guises.

haranguerer

Quote from: Syferus on February 16, 2014, 12:55:03 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 16, 2014, 12:43:54 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2014, 10:31:40 PM
I'm not that well read on this so correct me if I'm worng but I reckon Scotland will vote for independence by a resounding majority. The attempts of the "establishment" for want of a better word to stop it are actually having clearly the opposite effect. Keystone cops stuff.
On what basis are you reckoning? Seems like wishful thinking.

Sure everything points to an easy win for the No side. Scotland will fall in line, predictably.

I don't think anyone expects Scotland to vote for independence, including Alex Salmond. This isnt the important vote however, this is the one that gets it on the table and keeps it there, its some of the next few which may actually go through.

lawnseed

Quote from: J OGorman on February 16, 2014, 10:07:30 PM

No. Favourite word is "pastishé" ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Applesisapples

Quote from: haranguerer on February 17, 2014, 08:29:08 AM
I'm not that well read on this so correct me if I'm worng but I reckon Scotland will vote for independence by a resounding majority. The attempts of the "establishment" for want of a better word to stop it are actually having clearly the opposite effect. Keystone cops stuff.

Sure everything points to an easy win for the No side. Scotland will fall in line, predictably.

I don't think anyone expects Scotland to vote for independence, including Alex Salmond. This isnt the important vote however, this is the one that gets it on the table and keeps it there, its some of the next few which may actually go through.
Spot on, the majority of Scots, like the majority of nationalists here want Independance (Unity) only as a aspiration. They won't take a bet on standing on their own feet in case they lose the NHS/Dole/DLA etc... In relation to Roll of Honour, the song has a place and a time, I don't think at a Celtic match is either the place or the time. As an aside I see the Irish News are now describing Bobby Sands as an IRA terrorist as opposed to the more usual Hunger Striker.

Main Street

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 17, 2014, 11:32:46 AM

Spot on, the majority of Scots, like the majority of nationalists here want Independance (Unity) only as a aspiration. They won't take a bet on standing on their own feet in case they lose the NHS/Dole/DLA etc... In relation to Roll of Honour, the song has a place and a time, I don't think at a Celtic match is either the place or the time. As an aside I see the Irish News are now describing Bobby Sands as an IRA terrorist as opposed to the more usual Hunger Striker.
It would appear that some irish people's nationalist aspirations are buried well behind a cost analysis. Similar in Scotland.
Fumblin' in a greasy till and all that

Whether CP is a suitable place for the Roll of Honour is a separate issue, and there's no debate on whether the Green Brigade can protest in CP about the law or how it's applied, they can't inside the stadium.

The main issue is that in the opinion of a dumb cop, it's a sectarian song and a criminal offence to sing it. The police can decide themselves what constitutes an offence. The police define the law.  It's not a sectarian song and just because some people have anathema to Irish republicanism does not make it sectarian.
Policing methods against fans are also an issue but a separate one.

Media in Scotland have attempted to tarnish celtic fans for decades, tarnish any 'unapproved' connection with Irishness, even catholic religion. How long ago was it that in response to the media slurs of 'Irish catholic bigots'  one  fan's club unfurled a banner in Celtic Park, saying  'We're Irish, we're not bigots'?

Keyser soze

Quote from: lawnseed on February 17, 2014, 10:03:10 AM

I had this one time and very tasty it was too.

glens abu

where did you see this,I dont have a lot of time for the politics if the Irish News but can only see in todays paper it decribes Bobby Sands as a Hunger striker.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 17, 2014, 12:16:17 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 17, 2014, 10:03:10 AM

I had this one time and very tasty it was too.
With brown sauce? In a bap?

Applesisapples

Quote from: glens abu on February 17, 2014, 12:48:45 PM

where did you see this,I dont have a lot of time for the politics if the Irish News but can only see in todays paper it decribes Bobby Sands as a Hunger striker.
Andy Newport " The runaway Scottish Premiership leaders were fined £42,000 by UEFA after a banner depicting IRA terrorist Bobby Sands was unfurled" page 70.

glens abu

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 17, 2014, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: glens abu on February 17, 2014, 12:48:45 PM

Andy Newport " The runaway Scottish Premiership leaders were fined £42,000 by UEFA after a banner depicting IRA terrorist Bobby Sands was unfurled" page 70.

thanks