Railway Cup 2014

Started by BennyCake, February 06, 2014, 08:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

So the concensus from North of the pig's ditch is that Ulster played very badly and that a lot of them were tired.
Does it ever occur to them bies that maybe just maybe that there are a lot of good footballers in Connacht who played well and won the game pulling up.
I suppose that doesn't fit the stereotype though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

When they are winning by 2 at half time and lose by 11, there would be obviously be a factor of tiredness since a few players played mid week. But since Roscommon had a game Thursday night , maybe it wasn't such a big factor. There was lots of Quality on that Connacht team anyway, wouldn't have expected an 11 pt win though.

Rossfan

I suspect the Connacht lads decided to give it a right go this time for a change and to end the long gap since 1969.
Or maybe it's the effect of the black cardeen

rodney trotter

Will they take it easy for the next 45 years so?

Greenabovethered

Is it true that Keith Higgins is the only person ever to have won a Railway cup medal in both codes?

Rossfan

No.
Didn't Des Foley of Dublin win both on the one day once??

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Greenabovethered on February 25, 2014, 01:32:39 PM
Is it true that Keith Higgins is the only person ever to have won a Railway cup medal in both codes?

Pat Dunney did the double in 1974.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

rodney trotter

I saw on Hoganstand yesterday that he is the only player from Connacht to have both. Good achievement for him, even if it doesn't get great attention.

AZOffaly

Would Liam Currams or Teddy McCarthy have them? They've both All Irelands in both codes obviously. Liam has All Stars in both as well, and I presume Teddy has too.

Lone Shark

I'm pretty sure JBM won both. He picked up a rake of medals when Munster won four in a row in football in the seventies, and I think he won a hurling one after that at some stage.

I don't know about Currams - Leinster didn't win a hurling title for about ten years there in the early eighties, that would rule him out I'd say.

muppet

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 25, 2014, 02:57:40 PM
I'm pretty sure JBM won both. He picked up a rake of medals when Munster won four in a row in football in the seventies, and I think he won a hurling one after that at some stage.

I don't know about Currams - Leinster didn't win a hurling title for about ten years there in the early eighties, that would rule him out I'd say.

Jack Lynch won 8, including 1 in football.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

One of the greats. Ray Cummins. I think Brian Murphy might have as well.

Both awarded All-Stars in both codes as well.

Cummins 2 football and 3 Hurling!
Murphy 2+2!

Zulu

Less than 60 at the hurling final.

theticklemister

Quote from: Zulu on March 01, 2014, 04:56:18 PM
Less than 60 at the hurling final.

half them on the field?

Blowitupref

HT Leinster 0-11  Connacht 0-9. Full-Time: Leinster 1-23 Connacht 0-16
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose