BennyHarp

Quote from: rrhf on February 10, 2014, 08:23:13 PM

My team is
Morgan / O Neill
Mc Crory, Clarke, Joe Mc Mahon 
Mc Ginley, Gormley, Harte             
Mc Kenna / Grugan,  Colm Cavanagh
Mark Donnelly Sean Cavanagh Conor Mc Aliskey
Ronan O Neill, Mattie Donnelly, Darren Mc Curry.       

I think that keeps us solid and experienced at the back with some blinding pace at wing half back, I havent liked our half forward line this year, we need the break ball that Mark Donnelly can win and Sean setting off.  I think one of the reasons we have a loose defence is we are missing Gormley and indeed Mc Mahon so badly in there.  I think Mc Aliskey and O Neill have laid on some superb ball this season.  Fair play to Mickey he has persevered with some players and they are now starting to deliver - sometimes its all a young lad needs is the faith of the manager.  Morgan probably has goals at the moment but I really like the Clonoe lad as well, in fact if he was taking the frees he would be in.  I think we have two cracking keepers at the moment.  Both Grugan and Mc Kenna have to be persevered with as they are the most likely to succeed to let Sean up front.  Theres a big year in Darren Mc Curry and Ronan O Neill and Mc Aliskey.

There's plenty of scores in that forward line but I just think Mark Donnelly needs to learn to move the ball faster. This seems to be part of the new system to get quick ball into the inside forwards and hopefully Mark can adapt his running game to suit. Also, can you really not decide between Morgan and O'Neill in goals? I haven't seen much of O'Neill but he must be some talent to be challenging Morgan.
That was never a square ball!!

macdanger2

That's a decent Tyrone team, not sure about Gormley at chb though, could see him getting the run around from the likes of Kilkenny come the summertime

tyroneman

Wouldn't be unhappy with most of that team. Main concern would be that we would be cleaned out at MF with Grugan / McKenna beside Colm.

Morgan is by far the better GK.

bucko

Quote from: highorlow on February 10, 2014, 03:17:05 PM
QuoteAlong with the Regan situation, it's also starting to look like Freeman is being alienated. The only full forward player who started every championship match last year and IMO improved with every game only got 5 mins yesterday.

Can you explain how you think Freeman is alienated?

I would prefer to see us through the league as injury free as possible.

Without dragging up what did or didn't happen between Freeman and Horan last year, there is no clear reason why Freeman is on the bench. He was one of our very few form forwards last year, and given the number of forwards we have out at the moment with injury would it not make sense to have some consistency in our forward division? Freeman started every C'ship match last year, improved in every game, why is he now not deemed good enough to introduced until the last five minutes when the game was gone??? Especially in a match where inability to win possession in the FF was obvious, would introducing a factor that worked for a lot of last year not have been the logical move? Freeman is a confidence player and it took a long time for him to get back to the level he was playing last year. I have a real fear that this current selection policy, whatever the reason behind it, will knock him back.

Redhand Santa

Not necessarily my team but I'd like to see the following get a run out in the league:
Morgan
Pj Quinn
Clarke
Tierney
Mcginley
Gormley
Harte
Joe McMahon (playing defensive role)
C cavanagh
McNabb
S cavanagh
Grugan
Mccurry
Donnelly
R o'neill

That team would provide bit of cover for defence and ball winning ability while still providing a lot of attacking threat.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: kickingmule on February 10, 2014, 12:22:08 AM
Big improvement from last weeks performance against derry,but we have a disaster waiting to happen @ chb, in saying that the wing halfs worked very hard , as did the full back line , tierney a great find. I think the bench is a good place for relatives.

Although I think Harte is too attacking for centre half back I still think he's worth his place on the team whether he's a relative or not. I wouldn't be surprised if similar to last year Harte stays at centre half back with joe McMahon at half forward dropping back allowing Harte to bomb forward. McMahon will help cover up the centre of defence.

rrhf

Quote from: tyroneman on February 10, 2014, 09:34:38 PM
Wouldn't be unhappy with most of that team. Main concern would be that we would be cleaned out at MF with Grugan / McKenna beside Colm.

I've seen o Neill so much at club level and he's a very impressive keeper. Morgan place kicking sets him apart. I think that midfield is where some hard choices need to be made.  As I said before colm is the only man we trust is at the level and ye have 3 options alongside him this year. Mr Kenn a assists the running game of the half backs and is a great passer of the ball. Gregson has been great in most games and is still a cub. Cassidy or a fit Justin mc mahon would give serious options. But I think the new rules and indeed thrones system mean we will continue to attack at pace up the wings rendering midfield as less important. To have the luxury of big Sean running at goals from 11 would be class.

tyroneman

Quote from: rrhf on February 10, 2014, 09:55:32 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 10, 2014, 09:34:38 PM

I've seen o Neill so much at club level and he's a very impressive keeper. Morgan place kicking sets him apart. I think that midfield is where some hard choices need to be made.  As I said before colm is the only man we trust is at the level and ye have 3 options alongside him this year. Mr Kenn a assists the running game of the half backs and is a great passer of the ball. Gregson has been great in most games and is still a cub. Cassidy or a fit Justin mc mahon would give serious options. But I think the new rules and indeed thrones system mean we will continue to attack at pace up the wings rendering midfield as less important. To have the luxury of big Sean running at goals from 11 would be class.

Would love to see a fit Justy given a run of games in MF.

Unfortunately a fit Cass seems like a pipe dream.

PJ will need game time after the break. 

moysider

Quote from: bucko on February 10, 2014, 09:35:52 PM
QuoteAlong with the Regan situation, it's also starting to look like Freeman is being alienated. The only full forward player who started every championship match last year and IMO improved with every game only got 5 mins yesterday.

Without dragging up what did or didn't happen between Freeman and Horan last year, there is no clear reason why Freeman is on the bench. He was one of our very few form forwards last year, and given the number of forwards we have out at the moment with injury would it not make sense to have some consistency in our forward division? Freeman started every C'ship match last year, improved in every game, why is he now not deemed good enough to introduced until the last five minutes when the game was gone??? Especially in a match where inability to win possession in the FF was obvious, would introducing a factor that worked for a lot of last year not have been the logical move? Freeman is a confidence player and it took a long time for him to get back to the level he was playing last year. I have a real fear that this current selection policy, whatever the reason behind it, will knock him back.

Are you suggesting that James Horan does not like to be questioned and may hold a grudge to the detriment of the team? :o

armaghniac

Quote from: orangeman on February 10, 2014, 11:18:21 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 09, 2014, 09:11:37 PM
I'd save the negativity about Mayo for a while longer. Mayo were well short today in all fairness.

I just read in the paper that Mayo have 20 men unavailable at the minute. Talk of their demise is premature.

Kerry lost their first 4 league games last year, stayed up and could have won the all Ireland, having played in one of the best games in history.

Perspective please.

I agree.
Here is Mayo's prospects in perspective.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bucko

Quote from: moysider on February 10, 2014, 10:25:08 PM

Are you suggesting that James Horan does not like to be questioned and may hold a grudge to the detriment of the team? :o
Not at all, I wouldn't dream of such a thing......😬

moysider

Quote from: bucko on February 10, 2014, 10:32:24 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 10, 2014, 10:25:08 PM

Not at all, I wouldn't dream of such a thing......

Hmmmmm. Never doubted you would  ;)

Blowitupref

I just read in the paper that Mayo have 20 men unavailable at the minute.

The paper must be including squad and players no longer on the panel? Mayo were missing 7 All Ireland final starters yesterday. Tom Cunniffe, Chris Barrett, Donal Vaughan, Seamus O’Shea, Alan Dillon; Cillian O’Connor, Alan Freeman and how likely are Freeman,Dillon to be starters this year?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 10, 2014, 11:20:58 PM

The paper must be including subs and players no longer on the panel? Mayo were missing 7 All Ireland final starters yesterday. Tom Cunniffe, Chris Barrett, Donal Vaughan, Seamus O'Shea, Alan Dillon; Cillian O'Connor, Alan Freeman and how likely are Freeman,Dillon to be starters this year?

Why are you picking on Dillon and Freeman? Just asking like.

muppet

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 10, 2014, 11:20:58 PM

The paper must be including subs and players no longer on the panel? Mayo were missing 7 All Ireland final starters yesterday. Tom Cunniffe, Chris Barrett, Donal Vaughan, Seamus O'Shea, Alan Dillon; Cillian O'Connor, Alan Freeman and how likely are Freeman,Dillon to be starters this year?

Freeman will definitely be a starter unless something has gone terribly wrong.

Barry Moran & Conor Loftus would be getting games. Mikey Sweeney from Kiltane would be getting a look, although I am not convinced. Richie Feeney yes, although if he wasn't brought on against the Dubs around the same time he was brought on against Donegal, when would you use him?  Maybe a keeper or two is unfit.

Evan Regan is technically unavailable I suppose.  :D

Hard to see '20 men unavailable' though.
MWWSI 2017