Tyrone v Mayo - 9th Feb in Omagh - Deferred coverage on TG4

Started by Fuzzman, February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

I'm sure you could make an argument to start all 3. Though when you consider 5 of the forwards in the team started versus Mayo in the All Ireland semi last year and I think the entire half back line the 3 you mentioned wouldn't be guaranteed ahead of any of them. You could make a case for McKenna in midfield. And PJ maybe ahead of Penrose depending on his form.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 07, 2014, 09:43:26 AM
I'm sure you could make an argument to start all 3. Though when you consider 5 of the forwards in the team started versus Mayo in the All Ireland semi last year and I think the entire half back line the 3 you mentioned wouldn't be guaranteed ahead of any of them. You could make a case for McKenna in midfield. And PJ maybe ahead of Penrose depending on his form.

I'd like to see all 3 start in a full forward line - McAliskey is good at winning his own ball so perhaps could play 14. There is plenty of pace in the squad which has maybe been missing over the last few years. That alternative 15 that Redhand Santa put up is very impressive and gives plenty of reason for optimism and there is loads of competition for places. Lets hope we can give a good acoount for ourselves on Sunday.
That was never a square ball!!

Mikhailov

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2014, 10:11:51 AM

I'd like to see all 3 start in a full forward line - McAliskey is good at winning his own ball so perhaps could play 14. There is plenty of pace in the squad which has maybe been missing over the last few years. That alternative 15 that Redhand Santa put up is very impressive and gives plenty of reason for optimism and there is loads of competition for places. Lets hope we can give a good acoount for ourselves on Sunday.

I think RHS is referring to the 3 men that were omitted from his alternative 15 which I mentioned (NMcKenna, PMcNeice and PJ Lavery) which goes to highlight how strong our panel is when you consider that all 3 started against Derry. The 3 that BennyCake refers to are I think RO'N, CMcA & DMcC which I believe should all be included in our first 15 every game to bring them up to speed with each others game and get a mutual understanding  between them - this can only take place during pressurised games - it wont happen in training.... if them 3 get quality ball into the FF line then it would be hard to mark from the opposing defence point of view. In saying that, any forward worth his salt should have a field day if he is getting the quality type ball that he likes.

moysider

A 'settled' experimental side by Horan. With the exception of Gallagher it's unlikely we ll see much change from last year's starting personnel when things get serious.
Boyle playing in the corner is probably out of necessity than a serious attempt to turn one of the best attacking half backs around into a marker. The injured Barrett and club tied Cunniffe the most likely to resume in the corners later. At the moment with Michael Walsh axed from panel there simply are no corner backs in there. Harrison isn't. Coen isn't. Keane and McHale more suited to central roles. I don't think Higgins is nailed down 11 either. I think he would be much more effective from 6 but sure we ll see how the next few games go for him at 11.

rosnarun

Higgins is the the best corner back in the country and mayo's best player when he plays corner back. its stupid to move him out  of there to where hes much less effective.
he's simply not a CHF nor a CHB.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mikhailov on February 07, 2014, 11:31:23 AM

I think RHS is referring to the 3 men that were omitted from his alternative 15 which I mentioned (NMcKenna, PMcNeice and PJ Lavery) which goes to highlight how strong our panel is when you consider that all 3 started against Derry. The 3 that BennyCake refers to are I think RO'N, CMcA & DMcC which I believe should all be included in our first 15 every game to bring them up to speed with each others game and get a mutual understanding  between them - this can only take place during pressurised games - it wont happen in training.... if them 3 get quality ball into the FF line then it would be hard to mark from the opposing defence point of view. In saying that, any forward worth his salt should have a field day if he is getting the quality type ball that he likes.

Correct, that's who I meant - but I'm not Bennycake!  :)

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on February 07, 2014, 01:46:07 PM
Higgins is the the best corner back in the country and mayo's best player when he plays corner back. its stupid to move him out  of there to where hes much less effective.

He was wasted at corner back for the last couple of years. If you look at what made him a good back it was his speed and reading of the game as he is at best an average defender/man marker. Anyone who has watched him hurl over the years would have seen how good a CHF he is. If Kilkenny gave a shite about football do you think the would put Henry Shefflin or Eddie Brennan at corner back? It's not as if we overburdened with potential CHF's these days and he was doing serious damage against the Dubs up front until he was called back to the full back line. I would say give him more time and he will grow into the position by the summer. We know what he can do in the backs so lets try a couple of new faces in the corners for the league.

Quote from: moysider on February 07, 2014, 11:36:35 AM
A 'settled' experimental side by Horan. With the exception of Gallagher it's unlikely we ll see much change from last year's starting personnel when things get serious.
Boyle playing in the corner is probably out of necessity than a serious attempt to turn one of the best attacking half backs around into a marker. The injured Barrett and club tied Cunniffe the most likely to resume in the corners later. At the moment with Michael Walsh axed from panel there simply are no corner backs in there. Harrison isn't. Coen isn't. Keane and McHale more suited to central roles. I don't think Higgins is nailed down 11 either. I think he would be much more effective from 6 but sure we ll see how the next few games go for him at 11.

I would like Keith Rodgers to get a game in the corner as I think he could be an option although like you my personal preference would be Michael Walsh but Horan ( who sees him day ,day out)  doesn't think he is ready for intercounty.

All in all we are trying a couple of new faces so I am still keeping patient but with the lack of pace in the full back line I think we will be 0 for 2 after Sunday and then the pressure is on!

God14

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2014, 02:16:37 PM

I don't think you could play RO'N, CMcA & DMcC in the same full forward line - even if we did operate a traditional 3 man forward line. All too similar. Once you'd come up against a defensive system like Donegals they'd be redundant. We need at least one big man capable of winning 50/50 ball
I notice RO'N has been playing at 11 a lot more in recent times for Club & College, but id remain to be convinced he can play that role.

mayo.mick

Tyrone GAA ‏@TyroneGAALive  1h
There is a new ticketing system in place at Healy Park this Sunday. Please allow extra time for entry into the ground
Expand  Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Mikhailov

Sorry Benny Harp - obviously I am spending too much time on this bloody board !!!!

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 07, 2014, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on February 07, 2014, 01:46:07 PM

He was wasted at corner back for the last couple of years. If you look at what made him a good back it was his speed and reading of the game as he is at best and average defender/man marker. Anyone who has watched him hurl over the years would have seen how good a CHF he is. If Kilkenny gave a shite about football do you think the would put Henry Shefflin or Eddie Brennan at corner back? It's not as if we overburdened at with potential CHF's these days and he was doing serious damage against the Dubs up front until he was called back to the full back line. I would say give him more time and he will grow into the position by the summer. We know what he can do in the backs so lets try a couple of new faces in the corners for the league.

I would like Keith Rodgers to get a game in the corner as I think he could be an option although like you my personal preference would be Michael Walsh but Horan ( who sees him day ,day out)  doesn't think he is ready for intercounty.

All in all we are trying a couple of new faces so I am still keeping patient but with the lack of pace in the full back line I think we will be 0 for 2 after Sunday and then the pressure is on!

Mick Walsh is in London. Cut from panel. So too is James Burke. I mean he s been dropped as well or hasn't rejoined.
You re probably right about the 0 from 2 but a lot of these teams can take points off one another on any given day. If we had taken our goal chances the last day we could have been home and hosed by ht. silly black card too. These games can go either way.

ross4life

I suppose it helps when the opposition is also experimental, i'd wonder how many of that Tyrone team will start come championship time likewise with Kildare last weekend.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: God14 on February 07, 2014, 08:37:27 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 06, 2014, 11:15:48 PM
Plenty of running from the number 10 upwards, would be fairly hopeful! ;)

Im a bit underwhelmed by that selection Fear - not much height or physicality in the middle third of the field. Outside of Colm Cavanagh they are all mobile ball player type players and Ive reservations about our ability to win primary possession. Our 'modus operandus' will be for Colm & Grugan to break the ball for the half backs & half forwards to pick up the spills - but that clearly didn't work in Celtic Park last week.

Point taken G14, though I'm still fairly optimistic - it depends on Healy not being as utterly sodden underfoot as Celtic Park last weekend,  to be sure.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: God14 on February 07, 2014, 02:26:41 PM

I don't think you could play RO'N, CMcA & DMcC in the same full forward line - even if we did operate a traditional 3 man forward line. All too similar. Once you'd come up against a defensive system like Donegals they'd be redundant. We need at least one big man capable of winning 50/50 ball
I notice RO'N has been playing at 11 a lot more in recent times for Club & College, but id remain to be convinced he can play that role.

I think McAliskey is well capable of winning his own ball and I believe the three of them could provide plenty of movement which would be difficult to mark. Pace inside will kill most teams if fast enough ball is played in and the new rules make running at defenders a much more viable option. However, getting that fast ball in has been a problem of ours for a few years now, so I take your point about them being redundant.

Lar Naparka

How long would it take to walk from the Ulsterbus Depot to Healy Park?
I'd like to go to the game but, given the likely weather conditions, I don't fancy the idea of driving to Omagh and then back to Dublin afterwards.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi