Started by T Fearon, January 29, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cold tea on January 30, 2014, 09:13:06 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2014, 08:46:21 AM
Quote from: Cold tea on January 30, 2014, 08:17:37 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2014, 07:27:20 AM
No,I served a full sentence without remission. :D

Seriously this needs to provoke a debate about what's acceptable on this board and what isn't, and also why the current rules and breaches of same are treated in a haphazard function.On reading the thread which led to my ban,there are numerous examples of personal abuse directed at me.Were any of those posters banned,or even warned, in line with the rules? No, I didn't think so.There must be a tolerance  of  views that are neither common or popular,in spite of the fact that they provoke outrage,which says more about the intolerance of the outraged.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, notice none of the ball lickers on here don't dare to say the MODS have small man syndrome!!!
Give us a list of the ball-lickers.

You looking your's cleaned? - Always off the opinion if the cap fits, wear it.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2014, 07:27:20 AM
No,I served a full sentence without remission. :D

Seriously this needs to provoke a debate about what's acceptable on this board and what isn't, and also why the current rules and breaches of same are treated in a haphazard function.On reading the thread which led to my ban,there are numerous examples of personal abuse directed at me.Were any of those posters banned,or even warned, in line with the rules? No, I didn't think so.There must be a tolerance  of  views that are neither common or popular,in spite of the fact that they provoke outrage,which says more about the intolerance of the outraged.

Also you know what people's views on the likes of Brady etc are and you continue to post stuff about him knowing what reaction it will provoke and you complain about the reaction? I know you're a WUM and are quite good at it but I never understood that. If you hold people in high esteem why would you want to see them ripped to bits on a message board?!

Your comment wasn't innocuous and you deserved to be banned BTW.

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2014, 10:11:33 AM
Erm, imtommygunn, you are supposed to defend him because he is One of Us. Deiseach has told us so.....and he knows.

An egregious twisting of what I said. But then again, you think Fearon was banned for 'having a dig at Liverpool', so it's par for the course.

magpie seanie

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 29, 2014, 10:37:16 PM
Oh yeah - you're not allowed to say anything about Liverpool.

I didn't realise what Fearon had said was about Hillsborough. I thought he "had a dig at Liverpool" as per HS's post.

If he has brought up Hillsborough before and been warned not to as I understand is the case then the mods were right to suspend him.

That said, some of the stuff that followed his provocation leaves a lot to be desired.

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2014, 10:19:53 AM
It's true, as far as the mod banning him is concerned.
Let his heart rule his head.

If Fearon hadn't been warned, you might be right. But he was warned and he still went back to it. Once he was warned, the only rational course was to ban him.

blewuporstuffed

It has served his purpose now anyway, Fearon has got the attention he craves
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

deiseach

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 30, 2014, 10:26:21 AM

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

Bingo

+1

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on January 30, 2014, 10:32:35 AM

That's why they're the best Deiseach, they don't always assume that theirs is the only opinion of merit. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2014, 10:36:50 AM

That's why they're the best Deiseach, they don't always assume that theirs is the only opinion of merit.

I know, but then you leave the worst get away with their mendacity.

Nally Stand

I know I've been accused of overly gravitating to SF threads etc, but I think that pales in significance next to the absolute obsession a load of lads here seem to have with TF. Tony starts a thread about himself and ye are like flies around shite!  :o
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on January 30, 2014, 09:59:04 AM
It's dispiriting reading this thread. It'd be fine if people were motivated by the spirit of Voltaire, to defend the right to say what is offensive. What is depressing is how so many people can't see what is wrong with what Fearon says in the first place. It also makes me re-evaluate my attitude whenever the North-South flame war erupts. I hate the way people insult each other over differences created by the border, differences that are mostly trivial and shouldn't be enough to divide us. But when I see a man peddling bare-faced lies being defended because he is One Of Us . . . yep, it makes you see things in a different light.
Deiseach

I think it shows how strong the Board is. You are never going to get everyone to agree but there a high proportion of people on here who can see through bullshit. There is a word I love in Irish - Dúthracht  - it means taking care of people or being aware of their needs and I think the Board has a lot of that.

There was an interview in the Grauniad about writing Alan Partridge and Armando Iannucci said the aim was to have in Alan someone who would say what others may  think but would never dare say. And making fun out of Hillsborough is very much in that space.   

Ron Burgundy does it too and it is so funny when it is understood as comedy 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSqF4GG3JTU

But not in real life

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on January 30, 2014, 10:40:19 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2014, 10:36:50 AM

I know, but then you leave the worst get away with their mendacity.

Mendacity is the tool of the craven - rise above it my friend!  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2014, 11:10:23 AM

That's a cop out (no pun intended). All the people on here saying that Tony is a wum and not to take him so seriously would go batsh1t crazy if some OWCer said that everyone who marched on Bloody Sunday was to blame for the carnage that followed because they didn't do what they were told to do by the security forces. I've stopped responding to him. No, really, I have. It's the people defending him that I react to. The next step is to view them as autre, which is what my original post was about.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on January 30, 2014, 11:22:40 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2014, 11:10:23 AM

That's a cop out (no pun intended). All the people on here saying that Tony is a wum and not to take him so seriously would go batsh1t crazy if some OWCer said that everyone who marched on Bloody Sunday was to blame for the carnage that followed because they didn't do what they were told to do by the security forces. I've stopped responding to him. No, really, I have. It's the people defending him that I react to. The next step is to view them as autre, which is what my original post was about.
Me too. There is a problem with understanding social boundaries ....