Kildare v Mayo NFL 2nd Feb 2014

Started by Dinny Breen, January 28, 2014, 04:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2014, 09:53:02 PM
Unless we re struggling for points to avoid relegation I would not expect to see either before championship.

A win here would settle things down nicely. As the first competitive match since the final loss it would be important to win. What we don t want is to lose the first couple of rounds.
But it wont be easy. Kildare gave us a bit of a going over last year in Castlebar in what was probably our worst league game. We could be a bit off the pace and could struggle if they have work done.

It ll be interesting to see how this 15 fare out. Looks like McHale is getting serious consideration as a 6 going forward. Boyle in the corner - no harm to have a look but cant see it last. I dont think marking will ever be his forté. Probably doing the opposition a favour by taking his influence out of the game. He is too good a half back. Just when we got Higgins out we put Boyle back. But no harm and it gives Harrison, who is also a proper player, a run.
Selecting Higgins at 11 is a statement of intent about his future it seems. Great to see Parsons back and I hope he is given games to get the best out of him. With Gallagher it will be be a case of how good can he be, rather than a case of will he be good enough?I d have no fear of him if he taking frees. Lots to look forward to.
Have to say I'm very impressed with what I've seen of McHale so far.He is a back in the real Knockmore mould.He plays with great assurance,well able to look after himself and fears no-one.Reminds me very much  of Trevor Howley.In my opinion he's a solid option for a central position,freeing Donal to push forward-something he's more comfortable at than defending
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on January 30, 2014, 10:07:56 PM
Unless we re struggling for points to avoid relegation I would not expect to see either before championship.

A win here would settle things down nicely. As the first competitive match since the final loss it would be important to win. What we don t want is to lose the first couple of rounds.
But it wont be easy. Kildare gave us a bit of a going over last year in Castlebar in what was probably our worst league game. We could be a bit off the pace and could struggle if they have work done.

It ll be interesting to see how this 15 fare out. Looks like McHale is getting serious consideration as a 6 going forward. Boyle in the corner - no harm to have a look but cant see it last. I dont think marking will ever be his forté. Probably doing the opposition a favour by taking his influence out of the game. He is too good a half back. Just when we got Higgins out we put Boyle back. But no harm and it gives Harrison, who is also a proper player, a run.
Selecting Higgins at 11 is a statement of intent about his future it seems. Great to see Parsons back and I hope he is given games to get the best out of him. With Gallagher it will be be a case of how good can he be, rather than a case of will he be good enough?I d have no fear of him if he taking frees. Lots to look forward to.
Have to say I'm very impressed with what I've seen of McHale so far.He is a back in the real Knockmore mould.He plays with great assurance,well able to look after himself and fears no-one.Reminds me very much  of Trevor Howley.In my opinion he's a solid option for a central position,freeing Donal to push forward-something he's more comfortable at than defending

Or is he being seen as a better option at 6? What would that leave the hb line looking like? I cant see fit Keegan or Boyle not being in hb line come championship.

sans pessimism

Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2014, 10:21:20 PM

Or is he being seen as a better option at 6? What would that leave the hb line looking like? I cant see fit Keegan or Boyle not being in hb line come championship.
6 is where I was thinkin of to
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on January 30, 2014, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2014, 10:21:20 PM

6 is where I was thinkin of to

Is there kinda of natural corner backs around that could be looked at instead of playing Boyle there. I mean why would ye want to convert Boyle to a corner back. Be as well off trying to convert one of the forwards! McLoughlin for example could play at 4 with his eyes closed.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 30, 2014, 11:13:38 AM
Many mayo lads heading to this?
Any directions from the LWs? Coming from Dublin

N/M7 to Junction 10 (Naas South/Newbridge). Left at the top of the slip road then right at the roundabout. It's less than 10 mins down the dual carriageway from there.

The ground is just off the main street on the Naas side of the town. Parking can be tricky, especially now that the car park at the entrance to the ground closes when there's a match on. You can get a refund in the Whitewater car park if you have a match programme but you wouldn't want to be in a rush anywhere after the match because it can take a while for the traffic to clear on the main street.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Ohtoohtobe

Aspect of that Mayo team that would worry me the most is Keith Higgins coming at us our backs are ill-equipped to handle pacy, direct runners.

macdanger2

Any of the Mayo lads on here want someone to use their seaon ticket for this game?  :D

Dinny Breen

Team for Sunday from the Kildare GAA website. Apart from Shane Connolly coming back, looks like no changes from the Meath game.

1. Shane Connolly
2. Mick O'Grady
3. Mick Foley
4. Hugh McGrillen
5. Kevin Murnaghan
6. Emmet Bolton
7. Paul Cribbin
8. Tommy Moolick
9. Gary White
10. Cathal McNally
11. Eoghan O'Flaherty
12. Sean Hurley
13. Paddy Brophy
14. Darroch Mulhall
15. Padraig Fogarty
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Long term, I would prefer to see Paul Cribbin in the forwards but he was excellent at wing back last weekend so it's no surprise he's there again. Apart from that it looks a strong enough team considering all the lads we're missing at the moment. The midfield have gone well so far but this will be the toughest pairing they have come up against. There's scoring potential in that full forward line if given a good supply. The backs will have to be tighter than they were in the first half last weekend. I can't see us holding Mayo to a beatable score if we're as loose at the back as we were at times against Meath.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayo.mick

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 31, 2014, 07:31:20 AM
Any of the Mayo lads on here want someone to use their seaon ticket for this game?  :D

Mac, there'll probably be a good few season tickets floating round before the match.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Lar Naparka

Is the game likely to go ahead? I'm concerned that it might be cancelled due to weather condition or that the pitch may be waterlogged. I intend driving down from Dublin and I don't want to arrive and find the journey was wasted. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

StephenC

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 02, 2014, 10:34:09 AM
Is the game likely to go ahead? I'm concerned that it might be cancelled due to weather condition or that the pitch may be waterlogged. I intend driving down from Dublin and I don't want to arrive and find the journey was wasted.

Saw a few people on twitter saying that it was looking good to go.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 02, 2014, 10:34:09 AM

I don't think there is any inspection planned. They moved the Kehoe Cup hurling match that was due to be played there yesterday as a precaution.

Kildare are likely to make two changes to their starting line up due to late injury withdrawals. This very much tilts the odds in Mayo's favour now.

maigheo

Mayo in a bit of bother here.kildare 1.11 Mayo 0.10 HT