The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 13, 2014, 05:34:05 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 13, 2014, 03:00:36 PM
Ferris well past it now at international level, be lucky to get back being a performer for Ulster.

You might be right. But if any back row forward in Ireland could afford to lose half a yard of pace through injury, and still be international standard, it's Ferris. I's be confident he'll be blindside again by the November series.

I can't see it. A back row of say SOB, Ferris and Heaslip wouldn't have the right ball carrying/winning turnover balance. POM has been excellent thus far.

That back row didn't do Ireland any harm against Australia in the last World Cup. O'Mahony has been superb and the six shirt is his to lose but a fit Ferris will extremely difficult to leave out

whitegoodman

Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2014, 05:24:55 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on March 13, 2014, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2014, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: Estimator on March 13, 2014, 01:38:11 PM
Peter O'Mahony is back in the Ireland team for Saturday's crunch Six Nations game against France in Paris.

The flanker's return in place of Iain Henderson is the only change from the team that started against Italy.

With Henderson in the replacements, Rhys Ruddock drops out while Ian Madigan's versatility sees him edging out Paddy Jackson for a bench role.

Leinster utility back Madigan can play at full-back, centre and fly-half, and coach Joe Schmidt has opted to recall him to the squad while Jackson will play for Ulster against the Scarlets on Friday night.

Ireland: R Kearney (Leinster); A Trimble (Ulster), B O'Driscoll (Leinster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), D Kearney (Leinster); J Sexton (Racing Metro 92), C Murray (Munster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster); D Toner (Leinster), P O'Connell (Munster); P O'Mahony (Munster), C Henry (Ulster), J Heaslip (Leinster).

Replacements: S Cronin (Leinster), J McGrath (Leinster), M Moore (Leinster), I Henderson (Ulster), J Murphy (Leinster), E Reddan (Leinster), I Madigan (Leinster), F McFadden (Leinster)
I know D'Arcy is Leinster and Schmidt trained them and they have all the moves etc but would Zebo not be a better pick for this match ?

D'Arcy is not in because he is a Leinster / Schmidt man, he is the best in the country in his position and is having a super championship. Bringing Zebo in for him in Paris would be a a crazy call imo. Keep the defence solid and win it ugly up front

I think he was terrible that last match... every time we had momentum and he got the ball he was stopped in his tracks!!

Time to build for next year maybe Tommy Bowe? I imagine Payne will come in also when he's eligible. He's a serious player!

Henshaw and Cave should get a go at 13 on the summer tour.
Payne is twice as good at Fb than he is at centre, shouldn't be shoehorned into midfield
Stuart Olding the player to look out at inside centre when he comes back from injury, will go ahead of Marshall next year at Ulster.  Could be a bolter for world cup
Darcy is done
Ferris will only ever make an impact sub for Ireland at this stage, if that.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on March 13, 2014, 06:45:14 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 13, 2014, 05:34:05 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 13, 2014, 03:00:36 PM
Ferris well past it now at international level, be lucky to get back being a performer for Ulster.

You might be right. But if any back row forward in Ireland could afford to lose half a yard of pace through injury, and still be international standard, it's Ferris. I's be confident he'll be blindside again by the November series.

I can't see it. A back row of say SOB, Ferris and Heaslip wouldn't have the right ball carrying/winning turnover balance. POM has been excellent thus far.

That back row didn't do Ireland any harm against Australia in the last World Cup.
Aye, the Aussie without Pocock though. They got badly owned by the Welsh. O'Brien and Ferris chopped tackled onto their snouts. Heaslip going pushed over the touchline like a loaf of bread as Paidi would have put it.

michaelg

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 13, 2014, 07:00:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2014, 05:24:55 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on March 13, 2014, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2014, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: Estimator on March 13, 2014, 01:38:11 PM
Peter O'Mahony is back in the Ireland team for Saturday's crunch Six Nations game against France in Paris.

The flanker's return in place of Iain Henderson is the only change from the team that started against Italy.

With Henderson in the replacements, Rhys Ruddock drops out while Ian Madigan's versatility sees him edging out Paddy Jackson for a bench role.

Leinster utility back Madigan can play at full-back, centre and fly-half, and coach Joe Schmidt has opted to recall him to the squad while Jackson will play for Ulster against the Scarlets on Friday night.

Ireland: R Kearney (Leinster); A Trimble (Ulster), B O'Driscoll (Leinster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), D Kearney (Leinster); J Sexton (Racing Metro 92), C Murray (Munster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster); D Toner (Leinster), P O'Connell (Munster); P O'Mahony (Munster), C Henry (Ulster), J Heaslip (Leinster).

Replacements: S Cronin (Leinster), J McGrath (Leinster), M Moore (Leinster), I Henderson (Ulster), J Murphy (Leinster), E Reddan (Leinster), I Madigan (Leinster), F McFadden (Leinster)
I know D'Arcy is Leinster and Schmidt trained them and they have all the moves etc but would Zebo not be a better pick for this match ?

D'Arcy is not in because he is a Leinster / Schmidt man, he is the best in the country in his position and is having a super championship. Bringing Zebo in for him in Paris would be a a crazy call imo. Keep the defence solid and win it ugly up front

I think he was terrible that last match... every time we had momentum and he got the ball he was stopped in his tracks!!

Time to build for next year maybe Tommy Bowe? I imagine Payne will come in also when he's eligible. He's a serious player!

Henshaw and Cave should get a go at 13 on the summer tour.
Payne is twice as good at Fb than he is at centre, shouldn't be shoehorned into midfield
Stuart Olding the player to look out at inside centre when he comes back from injury, will go ahead of Marshall next year at Ulster.  Could be a bolter for world cup
Darcy is done
Ferris will only ever make an impact sub for Ireland at this stage, if that.
Olding is quality. Hope he comes back the same player after cruciate injury.

Estimator

Ferris made a cameo appearance in Ulster's victory tonight. His first hit was huge.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Wildweasel74

Is ferris to small heigth size at 6ft 41/2 to be converted to a line out jumper, O`connell would only be 2inch taller?

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 14, 2014, 11:54:41 PM
Is ferris to small heigth size at 6ft 41/2 to be converted to a line out jumper, O`connell would only be 2inch taller?

With the likes of Ryan, Henderson and (Jesus-Christ-I-can't-believe-I'm-saying-this) Toner there why would we be converting an injury prone back rower into a second rower?

J OGorman

Quote from: Estimator on March 14, 2014, 11:04:48 PM
Ferris made a cameo appearance in Ulster's victory tonight. His first hit was huge.

Great to see the big man back. As good as there is when fully fit. Heart of a lion

theticklemister

Quote from: Syferus on March 15, 2014, 01:16:44 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 14, 2014, 11:54:41 PM

With the likes of Ryan, Henderson and (Jesus-Christ-I-can't-believe-I'm-saying-this) Toner there why would we be converting an injury prone back rower into a second rower.

Was mick galway not just 6' 4" also?

Asal Mor

France out to 11/8 now with PP. Must be a lot of money going on Ireland.

AQMP

Eng piling on the pressure and Italy look to have given up.

Syferus

Asal Mor