The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2014, 09:09:29 AM
Beating France in France requires an Irish team that is out of the ordinary, It happened in 1972 but Scotland and Wales refused to play in Dublin due to the situation in the north. So there was no slam.
Was that part of the IRA's sport policy at the time? Or was someone else threatening the celtic cousins?

There was no specific threat as far as I remember. It was a decision  made by the Welsh and Scottish unions. It was a public statement that some Brits didn't feel it was safe to come to Dublin, which had ramifications beyond rugby and sport.   The English were happy enough to come the following year when conditions were no different. 

I've never understood why we didn't get walkovers for those games and win the grand slam.

Sea The Stars

I wouldn't be a big rugby fan but having watched yesterday's game I have to remark how fine the margins in sport are. The disallowed try being a perfect example. No doubt it was a forward pass but only for a couple of centimetres how different everything could be. It's amazing to think all the preparations and the training that goes into a game like yesterday, and all the previewing in the media, etc and yet things so small are what games are decided on.

Hardy

The Sunday Times, UK edition                     The Sunday Times, Irish edition

Main Street

Quote from: Sea The Stars on March 16, 2014, 12:38:32 PM
I wouldn't be a big rugby fan but having watched yesterday's game I have to remark how fine the margins in sport are. The disallowed try being a perfect example. No doubt it was a forward pass but only for a couple of centimetres how different everything could be. It's amazing to think all the preparations and the training that goes into a game like yesterday, and all the previewing in the media, etc and yet things so small are what games are decided on.
The fine margins affected both teams in those last 10 minutes, though the French were affected more :)
Even the home crowd mistimed their rousing chorus of the Marseillaise to coincide with the minute or so that Ireland broke upfield.
Ireland were kicking the ball away, even losing a crucial scrum at the death, the French just gave the ball back again.
Both teams were out on their feet, rugby drunk.

muppet

At the end we had a 9, 10 , 12 & 13 of Reddan, Madigan, McFadden & a 35 year old BOD facing waves of French attacks and a scrum that was going backwards.

How we held on I'll never know, but the reaction shows me romantic Ireland is alive and well.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Sea The Stars on March 16, 2014, 12:38:32 PM
It is like that in every sport. Losers always focus on mistakes and winners are feted. Mayo could have won last year with one more break. Winners need luck.

trileacman

Quote from: Hardy on March 16, 2014, 01:17:11 PM
The Sunday Times, UK edition                     The Sunday Times, Irish edition

I'm sorry but why is this a problem? English papers canvassing to English supporters tell the story that England miss out on the 6 nations. Irish paper says Ireland win the 6 nations. It's the same f**king story.

Can't help but think that when England beat us earlier in the year they'd be as small minded and petty to compare the Irish media's "Ireland lose" to the English one of "England win".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on March 16, 2014, 04:11:56 PM

I'm sorry but why is this a problem? English papers canvassing to English supporters tell the story that England miss out on the 6 nations. Irish paper says Ireland win the 6 nations. It's the same f**king story.

Can't help but think that when England beat us earlier in the year they'd be as small minded and petty to compare the Irish media's "Ireland lose" to the English one of "England win".
What problem are you on about?
It's a humorous observation of one aspect of the world we live in.
If you don't find it funny, just move on.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trileacman on March 16, 2014, 04:11:56 PM

Do you argue with everyone on this thread?? Trillick, the hotbed of rugby!

Hardy

Aye. I never said it was a problem - just thought it was funny.

I like the fact that the Irish version has Ireland beating France while the English one has France throwing it away.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on March 16, 2014, 04:49:22 PM
Aye. I never said it was a problem - just thought it was funny.

I like the fact that the Irish version has Ireland beating France while the English one has France throwing it away.
The middleclass english papers were obviously expecting, kerry 82 style,swing low to win the tournament. And 6pm was too late to dredge up fresh copy. So they went with brave England and wasn't it great to win the triple crown.

lynchbhoy

Great to 'win' the 6n but England were still the best team in it.

They and the French are gearing towards the wc - we seem to be aiming at each tourn as it comes up with no long term vision or plan?

Some great players on the Irish fringes now and we need to clear out some of the older crew

Some strange marks given to Irish players in the papers for yesterday's game - you'd swear France had won reading them

ONeill

Norn Iron version different again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 16, 2014, 10:05:55 PM
Great to 'win' the 6n but England were still the best team in it.

They and the French are gearing towards the wc - we seem to be aiming at each tourn as it comes up with no long term vision or plan?

Some great players on the Irish fringes now and we need to clear out some of the older crew

Some strange marks given to Irish players in the papers for yesterday's game - you'd swear France had won reading them

No long term vision or plan?? We have blooded an entire front row, 3 young loose forwards in Henderson, Murphy and Ruddock and 2 out halfs. The aim of having two players in every position come 2015 is starting to take shape. Yes replacing BOD is an issue but even Southern Hemisphere sides would struggle to replace that kind of talent. I'm confident Henshaw/Cave/Payne will fill that position!