that pub in lurgan?

Started by lawnseed, January 27, 2014, 11:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: illdecide on January 31, 2014, 12:13:44 AM
Eamonnca1 in fairness Ulick's experience of the parades would be mine too, when the parade was going past you were shoved in and door closed until they were well past. You must be 80 year old ;)...

Oh I don't doubt that that happened too.  I'm thinking of a spell when it wasn't too bad.  It was before all the Drumcree stuff blew up in 1995, so this would have been the early 90s I'm thinking of.

T Fearon

I get a hankering for the old days of the 70s, when the pubs of Lurgan (International, Beehive) and elsewhere were real men's bars (before all the disco and gastropub era crap), were the crack from the old ones was great, and the only enetertainment was a tv and darts board, and the only beers and stout available was Harp, Smithwicks,McArdles and Guinness. Those pubs had character.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on January 31, 2014, 10:06:59 AM
I get a hankering for the old days of the 70s, when the pubs of Lurgan (International, Beehive) and elsewhere were real men's bars (before all the disco and gastropub era crap), were the crack from the old ones was great, and the only enetertainment was a tv and darts board, and the only beers and stout available was Harp, Smithwicks,McArdles and Guinness. Those pubs had character.

5 Sams

Quote from: hardstation on January 31, 2014, 10:13:03 AM
You are hankering to the days when people went to the pubs and these places didn't need to put up with nonsense to make a few shackles.

Is that a typo in the third word in your post. Should it not begin with W. :P
The Aristocrat Years

Ulick

Quote from: illdecide on January 31, 2014, 12:15:53 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2014, 04:56:08 PM
When the Beehive was run by the late Tom Mc Conaghy, there was no nonsense, it was a man's pub alright, similarly the International Bar (I played for Lurgan Inter for a few years too) in the town centre was a real man's bar, where the craic was invarably good and no nonsense of any description was tolerated. They don't make pubs like this anymore

Not sure about how things are done now Tony but in fairness to the McConaghy's they never tolerated any nonsense in any of their bars from anyone when i was running about.

Mind sitting round the back of the Shankill bonfire by the community centre in summer of '85 or '86 when Tom came chasing after somebody with a cash bag after robbing the Beehive or Ashburn. Chased your man into a house a couple down from the hole in the wall. Tom had to run back and forth between front and back of house as your man tried to get away. Peelers never showed up in those days so their was practically a siege of this house by Tom and yer man Sharkey waving lead filled rubber hoses around. Woman of the house eventually negotiated a deal where the money was handed over and yer man got to run off out the back towards Tagnevan, Everyone knew who he was by that stage though and he skipped town soon after.

T Fearon

Tom would have been well advanced in age by the mid 80s as well.But you sitting around a bonfire?????

JUst retired

A portydown man sitting round a bonfire in Shankill street? That would not have happened in my day.We would have run you out of the place. ;D

JimStynes

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on February 01, 2014, 08:06:12 AM
I hear the INF is closing!

You hear wrong saan. You stick to Aghagallon and never mind what we're doing in town. ;)

Only messing...they're down sizing and selling a part of it to the rear at the car park
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lawnseed

Queing up outside cellar now. Fuksake its all fellas some que must be some craic
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

Firstly my visit was strictly for research porposes. The place was jammed from the door in the queing took 15mins if it was raining i'd have pissed off. The heat inside was just about bearable . Could I have scored...? Yeah plenty of stuff about alot of them on chapter 2. No harm you never miss a cut off a sliced loaf.. Plenty of taxis about good enough spot.

Score.. 3.5 out of 5 I dont like queing up to spend money
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once