An Lú v Ard Mhacha, NFL Div 2 Round 1, Drogheda, Sunday 2nd February 2014

Started by BennyCake, January 20, 2014, 08:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: stew on January 31, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
I am excited to see how we do in the league and I think grimley is going to have a strong squad at his disposal for the championship. Prediction. Louth 1-11 Armagh 520-409-12.

Possible Clarification

Louth: 1 goal and 11 points
Armagh: 520 miles chasing shadows, 409 committed fouls, 0 goals, 12 points
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on January 31, 2014, 08:17:02 PM
Quote from: stew on January 31, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
I am excited to see how we do in the league and I think grimley is going to have a strong squad at his disposal for the championship. Prediction. Louth 1-11 Armagh 520-409-12.

Possible Clarification

Louth: 1 goal and 11 points
Armagh: 520 miles chasing shadows, 409 committed fouls, 0 goals, 12 points

I think...

- 520: the number in Armagh's backroom team.
- 409: players we have injured
- 12: the number of Louth players that will mark Jamie Clarke

BennyCake

This is probably the first time this has been asked on GAA Board. But here goes.

Heading to the match on Sunday. Thought I'd kill two birds etc... Where exactly is the church that has the head of St Oliver Plunkett? Learnt about him in school, and never got around to seeing it. Is it near the ground? Handy to get to by car? etc

All of a Sludden

Quote from: BennyCake on January 31, 2014, 08:53:01 PM
This is probably the first time this has been asked on GAA Board. But here goes.

Heading to the match on Sunday. Thought I'd kill two birds etc... Where exactly is the church that has the head of St Oliver Plunkett? Learnt about him in school, and never got around to seeing it. Is it near the ground? Handy to get to by car? etc

The shrine is in St Peter's on West Street, which is the main street in the town. Go on past the Gaelic Grounds until you come to the traffic lights at the Trinity Arms, turn left on to West street and the church is a few hundred yards on the left, you can't miss it.

http://www.mypois.ie/mpoi.php?n=shrine-of-st.-oliver-plunkett&i=151161
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

QuoteIt is further into town from the pitch looking at google maps, but wouldn't take you long to get to.

It makes me feel old that there are people who don't know their way through Drogheda, back in the last century Gaels queued up in the town many's the time.

In any case the shrine to Cross' 13 in a row Armagh victories in Oliver Plunkett Park should be enough for anyone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Can only ever recall seeing Armagh play in Drogheda once,and that was in the early 90s against Dublin in a play off (think it was relegation) and we lost in a fairly robust game.

Also recall Armagh playing in Dundalk against Louth in 1977 just a few months after contesting the AI final, and suffering a surprise defeat which caused great rejoicing all over the ground and no doubt across the whole of the wee county

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on January 31, 2014, 10:51:57 PM
QuoteIt is further into town from the pitch looking at google maps, but wouldn't take you long to get to.

It makes me feel old that there are people who don't know their way through Drogheda, back in the last century Gaels queued up in the town many's the time.

In any case the shrine to Cross' 13 in a row Armagh victories in Oliver Plunkett Park should be enough for anyone.

I think the long queues at Drogheda (and Dundalk) on matchdays before the motorway arrived, is partly the reason for not visiting the town more. I know Dundalk reasonably well, but not Drogheda so much. I am a frequent visitor to the wee county, but it tends to be the Omeath/Carlingford areas.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on February 01, 2014, 12:06:50 AM
Also recall Armagh playing in Dundalk against Louth in 1977 just a few months after contesting the AI final, and suffering a surprise defeat which caused great rejoicing all over the ground and no doubt across the whole of the wee county

Louth back in the hunt for honours (4/12/1977)

Louth 1-10  Armagh 1-7

Louth scored one of their best wins in several months when defeating Ulster champions Armagh, 1-10 to 1-7 in a very competitive National Football League match at Dundalk yesterday. The points put Louth back in contention in Division II 'A" North and also deprived Armagh of their undefeated record. The Dundalk game ended on a ' sour note with Dublin referee, Paul Kelly, attacked by some Armagh supporters as .he made his way to the dressing room. Louth officials, who had come to his rescue were also abused. The Ulster champions, who held only a one point advantage (0-5 to 0-4) at half time after having had the use of the wind, were quickly overtaken by on Louth on the restart. but in the 16th minute Armagh fought back to level (1-6 to 0-9) thanks to a fine goal from centre-half Paddy Moriarty. There followed an exchange of points between J. P. O'Kane and Sean Devlin, leaving the position still deadlocked (24 minutes). But a minute later, veteran Louth full forward. Mick McKeown had the clinching score of the match -with a very well executed goal following a Matt McDermott pass. With only a minute remaining. Armagh came very close to getting a draw when a thundering free by full forward  John Corvan, crashed off the crossbar.

LOUTH—G. Farrell, P. McCarthy, L. Toal, B.. Byrne. B. Coyle. T. Lennon, D. Culligan, A. Wiseman, J. P O'Kane (0-2), A. Hoey, (IY-3). M. McDermott. B. Gaughran, P. Lennon (0-1), M. McKeown (1-0), D. Reid (0-4). Subs.—D. Murray (for McCarthy, E. Marmion (for Coyle).

ARMAGH—B. McAlinden, D. Stevenson, P. Loughran. T. Cassidy, K. Rafferty, P. Moriarty. J. Donnelly (1-0), 3. J Kernan (0-1), C. McKinstry, N. Marley. J. Smyth, S. Devlin (0-1), P. Loughran. J. Corvan (0-2), P. Trainor (0-3).

Referee_P. Kelly (Dublin).

T Fearon

Remember this as if it was yesterday.Huge crowd at the game and I remember Jimmy Smith quoted in the paper that morning saying that "Armagh will show Louth no mercy". Also vividly recall Corvan's free kick at the end,a soccer scenario,with a free kick from thirty yards from which a goal was needed to save the game,and his powerful shot crashed against the bar.

Armagh Co Board was fined later for the abuse supporters meted out to Dublin referee Paul Kelly,who a few years earlier had incurred the wrath of Derry supporters.He definitely didn't like Northern teams.

However I don't recall any Armagh full back by the name of P Loughran? Wonder was it Jim Looughran?

BennyCake

All of a Sludden

Anywhere on the North Rd, between the Gaelic Grounds and the roundabout. Straight back on to the M1 afterwards, assuming you have already been to see Oliver Plunkett.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

T Fearon

I hear Louth people are still trying to get the head of Martin Sludden...just to keep Oliver company!

armaghniac

The ground in Drogheda is reminiscent of the 1970s and the standard of Armagh play is about 1975.

lawnseed

Getting a lesson in football by the sounds of it. Armagh played louth in sheelagh at the opening of the pitch in 2002 I think. Armagh played their full team against a makey uppey sheelagh/louth county team. Armagh got slaughtered
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once