Old School Green Gloves

Started by Keane, January 18, 2014, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keane

Anyone remember the old school green gloves that lads used wear playing football? This would be 15-20 years ago and your two options were the old Mikasa yellow and black numbers or these green ones that looked for all the world like gardening gloves.

Anyone remember what brand they were or have any pics with them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Keane on January 18, 2014, 02:31:13 PM
Anyone remember the old school green gloves that lads used wear playing football? This would be 15-20 years ago and your two options were the old Mikasa yellow and black numbers or these green ones that looked for all the world like gardening gloves.

They left a quare imprint on your face when ya happened to get a hit

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I preferred the Mikasa ones too the ones worn now. To be fair I spent a lot of the time on the sideline chewing off the black spots with the taste if mud on them.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

brokencrossbar1

Do you mean the old cotton gloves?  I always loved those gloves and  they were brilliant when the ball was very wet.  There were different companies thatr made them but they were great as you could 'feel' the ball,  also less padding on them if you drew the slap out at someone (not that Iever would have done that!!)

CD

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 19, 2014, 03:06:16 PM

Do you mean the old cotton gloves?  I always loved those gloves and  they were brilliant when the ball was very wet.  There were different companies thatr made them but they were great as you could 'feel' the ball,  also less padding on them if you drew the slap out at someone (not that Iever would have done that!!)

I used to wear those - I remember on a wet and muddy day they would weight about a stone and often fly off my skinny teenage wrists when I was running! The only gloves I ever owned that I had to take off when it started raining.  :D
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: CD on January 19, 2014, 03:32:24 PM

I used to wear those - I remember on a wet and muddy day they would weight about a stone and often fly off my skinny teenage wrists when I was running! The only gloves I ever owned that I had to take off when it started raining.  :D

Ah jaysus man did you not tape them on?  Juvenile mistake!

CD

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 19, 2014, 03:37:14 PM

Skinny and hairy in the wrist department - I couldn't deal with the pain pulling them off - the Mikasa's were a godsend for me!!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

theticklemister

I mind the Mikasa gloves well. I use to stand at corner forward and see how many black spots i could peel off.

Keane

Haha it seems at least a few of you remember the green ones I was on about! The Mikasa ones surely everyone has had a pair!

Jeepers Creepers

Classic, my mikasa's which were about 10 sizes to big, then progressed to the orange honeycomb ones(still to big), remember them? I can rmemebr wacthing Kerry team using the green cotton ones and wanted a pair. Wore them in dry sunny weather (to look cool ) and never got a ball  ;D

5 Sams

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 20, 2014, 04:24:08 PM
Classic, my mikasa's which were about 10 sizes to big, then progressed to the orange honeycomb ones(still to big), remember them? I can rmemebr wacthing Kerry team using the green cotton ones and wanted a pair. Wore them in dry sunny weather (to look cool ) and never got a ball  ;D

They're all wearing them in this clip!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0h3QQIBH6Y
The Aristocrat Years

Jeepers Creepers

lynchbhoy

Quote from: CD on January 19, 2014, 03:40:10 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 19, 2014, 03:37:14 PM

Skinny and hairy in the wrist department - I couldn't deal with the pain pulling them off - the Mikasa's were a godsend for me!!
Should have taped them tight round the wrists (nearly stopping yer circulation )ON the bottom of the glove , not on your skin!!

I hated the yellow ones, found them rubbish.

Much preferred the green ones when they came along - though opted for puma goalkeeping gloves which were almost skin tight with no padding after trying the big thick sondico soccer keepers gloves for a while.
Before all those I found a yellow gardening glove with some kind of clear compound that was half rubber half plastic.
After washing them the compound became a wee bit stick and great for fielding the ball on a wet day!
Then they became hard to get.
Around the same time the Kerry team started wearing those green gloves - so as they were the best side in football we all wanted to copy them. The gloves were quite good!

Carmen Stateside

I remember using white cloth ones one time.  I do believe they may have been out of sausage factory in Cookstown but!