All-Ireland Club Semi Finals

Started by riptorn, January 14, 2014, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Tubberman on March 18, 2014, 05:22:40 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on March 18, 2014, 05:10:20 PM
I thought a completion started under the old rules would still be refereed under those rules until finished

I would have assumed the same. Unless they are treating the 'All-Ireland series' (semis and final) as a separate competition.
If that's the case, it would have started in the new year when the new rules were in place.

I seem to remember hearing about some fouls in the respective semi finals where black cards were not brandished, yellows were given instead. at the time someone (wrongly) suggested that the black card was not in force for this competition

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 18, 2014, 09:27:07 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 18, 2014, 09:21:26 AM
John Fogarty Examiner's take on Feeney

Castlebar had recovered well from Michael Concarr's side-footed goal in the ninth minute after an angled dash as well as Richie Feeney's fifth-minute black card to lead by two before Dorney's strike.

Feeney gave referee Eddie Kinsella plenty of reason to send him from the pitch — he was replaced by Fergal Durcan — although he stood his ground in blocking Kevin Bonnie. In briefings before Christmas it had been explained bodychecking would be black carded if they ran into the other player's running line.

Then again, Castlebar were fortunate Neil Lydon wasn't automatically replaced for two further incidents while Vincents' Eamon Fennell and Dorney were also lucky to stay on.

Feeney doesn't stand his ground

Watch it,  he deliberately steps across with his right foot and leads with his shoulder,  clear cut black card.  Perhaps there should have been others but there can be no complainty about this one.  Remember that the refs are learning the rule as well as the players so there will be inconsistencies.

Watch it even closer BC. Feeney's left foot never leaves the ground and then watch it again only looking at Bonnie. Bonnie runs straight at Feeney and raises his hands. If he had turned his shoulder we wouldn't be having this debate. Instead he raised his hands. Still, I would give a free against Feeney, but I wouldn't completely buy the 'deliberate block' by a man who runs straight into another.

Not as clear cut as you might think.

Regardless, it is terribly sad that our game has gone down the road of giving a fella his marching orders after 5 minutes for a challenge that was 70/70 or even 80/20 or whatever your take on it was. 
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2014, 08:34:30 PM

Castlebar had recovered well from Michael Concarr's side-footed goal in the ninth minute after an angled dash as well as Richie Feeney's fifth-minute black card to lead by two before Dorney's strike.

Feeney gave referee Eddie Kinsella plenty of reason to send him from the pitch — he was replaced by Fergal Durcan — although he stood his ground in blocking Kevin Bonnie. In briefings before Christmas it had been explained bodychecking would be black carded if they ran into the other player's running line.

Then again, Castlebar were fortunate Neil Lydon wasn't automatically replaced for two further incidents while Vincents' Eamon Fennell and Dorney were also lucky to stay on.

Watch it,  he deliberately steps across with his right foot and leads with his shoulder,  clear cut black card.  Perhaps there should have been others but there can be no complainty about this one.  Remember that the refs are learning the rule as well as the players so there will be inconsistencies.

Watch it even closer BC. Feeney's left foot never leaves the ground and then watch it again only looking at Bonnie. Bonnie runs straight at Feeney and raises his hands. If he had turned his shoulder we wouldn't be having this debate. Instead he raised his hands. Still, I would give a free against Feeney, but I wouldn't completely buy the 'deliberate block' by a man who runs straight into another.

Regardless, it is terribly sad that our game has gone down the road of giving a fella his marching orders after 5 minutes for a challenge that was 70/70 or even 80/20 or whatever your take on it was.

Rules are rules and there is no 80/20 there. Its 100% a black card. Bonnie was probably looking at feeney in disbelief saying this guy is actually going to bodycheck me 5 yards away from the referee.

Expect that video to be in every referee manual this year

From the Bunker

It tough to think that one foul like that and you day is done! No second chance that the yellow offers, no sin bin to think about it and make amends! Gone!

All them weeks of sacrificing, training, dreaming.

All from Sean Cavanagh (not for one minute blaming the lad and sorry for digging this up) making a last ditch Rugby tackle to stop a certain goal last summer and Brolly losing the rag!

I mean it was supposed to stop this happening again. So if we come to the same scenario this summer a couple of minutes to go in a Championship game what will Sean Cavanagh do?

moysider

I thought it was going to be a black card all the way. There would have been uproar if it wasn t.

I do feel sorry for Richie though and I can t remember him do anything like that before the new rules. A moment of madness.
Perhaps it was a bit unfair to introduce new rules at a stage in a competition when so much is at stake - semis and final.
Most players will have less critical games to adapt to new rules for their clubs and county before the serious stuff starts.
I recall Aidan O Shea gettin the line in first league game and thinking that this could happen everytime he plays. But you can see him now actively resisting the temptation to decapitate somebody. He hasn t been in trouble sense but is still imposing physically.

Maybe Pat Holmes is lucky that this incident is distracting from his own performance.

In February 2012 Connolly ran riot in a league match in Castlebar before the game was abandoned. Remember the smoke from the turf fires on McHale road mixed with a bit of fog to cause a right soup to develop.  The thing is, who was trying to mark Conolly and getting a right chasing around McHale Park? Yip, Eoghan O Reilly.
For the replay O Reilly was dropped. Connolly was kept quiet and scored 1 free before picking up his second yellow in a frustrated display. Cant remember who was marking him but it may have been Keith.

Don t get me wrong. Connolly deserves all the plaudits he gets for his final display. He can only play what s in front of him after all. Everybody knows how technically good he is and you would expect that a serious manager would know by now the type of player needed to frustrate him. O Reilly had history he wasn t up to it. What were they thinking ::)

Indiana mentioned earlier about the professional, intercounty standard management systems in the top Dublin clubs. I don t think there is the same standard down. Holmes seemed to be winging it a bit judging by interviews. Ould guff about honesty and stuff is just hot air.

GalwayBayBoy

Feeney might have got away with it if he hadn't lowered his shoulder into the Vincents player. Straight into his chest too. Can't have many complaints. It was almost a text book example of what they are trying to stamp out. Feeney was probably just pumped up early on in the game but you'd imagine such an experienced player wouldn't be the one to make such a mental error.

Zulu

QuoteAll from Sean Cavanagh (not for one minute blaming the lad and sorry for digging this up) making a last ditch Rugby tackle to stop a certain goal last summer and Brolly losing the rag!

I mean it was supposed to stop this happening again. So if we come to the same scenario this summer a couple of minutes to go in a Championship game what will Sean Cavanagh do?

I hope that's tongue in cheek? It wasn't brought in due to one tackle and the reaction, there was a serious issue with cynical fouling in Gaelic football for a long time, that was just a poster boy version of what was going on. Neither was it supposed to stop it, it was supposed to discourage it which is exactly what has happened.

On Feeney's challenge, it was a yellow rather than a black for me but it was a hugely daft thing to do and it matters not a jot when he did it or how how many training sessions he did.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2014, 09:23:05 PM
It tough to think that one foul like that and you day is done! No second chance that the yellow offers, no sin bin to think about it and make amends! Gone!

All them weeks of sacrificing, training, dreaming.

All from Sean Cavanagh (not for one minute blaming the lad and sorry for digging this up) making a last ditch Rugby tackle to stop a certain goal last summer and Brolly losing the rag!

The black card rule was passed long before Sean Cavanagh did his best BOD impression!

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2014, 09:27:23 PM
I thought it was going to be a black card all the way. There would have been uproar if it wasn t.

I do feel sorry for Richie though and I can t remember him do anything like that before the new rules. A moment of madness.
Perhaps it was a bit unfair to introduce new rules at a stage in a competition when so much is at stake - semis and final.
Most players will have less critical games to adapt to new rules for their clubs and county before the serious stuff starts.
I recall Aidan O Shea gettin the line in first league game and thinking that this could happen everytime he plays. But you can see him now actively resisting the temptation to decapitate somebody. He hasn t been in trouble sense but is still imposing physically.

Maybe Pat Holmes is lucky that this incident is distracting from his own performance.

In February 2012 Connolly ran riot in a league match in Castlebar before the game was abandoned. Remember the smoke from the turf fires on McHale road mixed with a bit of fog to cause a right soup to develop.  The thing is, who was trying to mark Conolly and getting a right chasing around McHale Park? Yip, Eoghan O Reilly.
For the replay O Reilly was dropped. Connolly was kept quiet and scored 1 free before picking up his second yellow in a frustrated display. Cant remember who was marking him but it may have been Keith.

Don t get me wrong. Connolly deserves all the plaudits he gets for his final display. He can only play what s in front of him after all. Everybody knows how technically good he is and you would expect that a serious manager would know by now the type of player needed to frustrate him. O Reilly had history he wasn t up to it. What were they thinking ::)

Indiana mentioned earlier about the professional, intercounty standard management systems in the top Dublin clubs. I don t think there is the same standard down. Holmes seemed to be winging it a bit judging by interviews. Ould guff about honesty and stuff is just hot air.

Richie Feeney marked Connolly in the second half of the 2012 AI semi. And did well too. Now I'm open to correction on that but I think I have that right.

From our point of view we couldn't believe he wasn't placed at the start to mark Connolly.

AQMP

Sorry muppet, have to disagree, totally clear cut.  As obvious a black as you'll see all year.  Sad for Feeney and Castlebar but it's 100% his own fault.

BennyHarp

This is a clear cut black card as the rules stand. The point I was making earlier is that is this offence really worth a fella having to leave the field? As the year progresses and players are getting black carded for fairly innocuous tackles I think people will start to question whether the punishment fits the crime. It's all very well being sent to the line in a league game in February for a bit of a shoulder block but if it's the main man for a county in the first minute of an AI final when players are a bit hyped up and bouncing into tackles, then we might either see massive inconsistency or a punishment applied that is far too strong. Just out of interest how would Tadhg Kennellys tackle on Nicholas Murphy been dealt with under the new rules? Was that a black or a yellow? I believe a 10 min sin bin giving the advantage of 15 v 14 should have been trialled or at least the black card should have been trialled first.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Sorry muppet. Have to disagree on that one. If they hadn't already passed the rule, this would have made Brollys video for congress.

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 18, 2014, 09:57:41 PM
This is a clear cut black card as the rules stand. The point I was making earlier is that is this offence really worth a fella having to leave the field? As the year progresses and players are getting black carded for fairly innocuous tackles I think people will start to question whether the punishment fits the crime. It's all very well being sent to the line in a league game in February for a bit of a shoulder block but if it's the main man for a county in the first minute of an AI final when players are a bit hyped up and bouncing into tackles, then we might either see massive inconsistency or a punishment applied that is far too strong. Just out of interest how would Tadhg Kennellys tackle on Nicholas Murphy been dealt with under the new rules? Was that a black or a yellow? I believe a 10 min sin bin giving the advantage of 15 v 14 should have been trialled or at least the black card should have been trialled first.

That was a straight red under any rules! Was it Marty Duffy that bottled it.

I hear what you are saying though. From the games I m watching though I m getting the impression that players are coming to terms with the new rules. At least the better defenders are. Take Cafferkey the last day. He was switched onto a player on fire and snuffed out the threat without giving away a free. Habitual neck wringers like Aidan O Shea are not commiting themselves rashly. Mayo v Cork there was a black card tackle I thought and it was by a forward on the oppositions 20 metre line! That was just rash and lazy by a player in first game back.
There will be black cards during the championship but any player that gets one will probably deserve/earn it.
The black card will become a tool for the smarter coaches. A black card will end up being a deliberate choice by a player. I would expect a player to take a black card for the team in certain obvious circumstances. Then replace him with a fresh player.
Some players will engineer cards for opponents. The Feeney card, while justified, will also encourage players who lay off the ball, to continue their run straight into an opponent and simulate a body check. The ref will have to make that call.
A top forward taking a black for a silly tackle is the big no-no from a coaching perspective. The Seán Cavanagh type offence is the card you want a player to take. Prevents a certain goal. Time is nearly up and a tired player is replaced by a fresh one.

trileacman

Bullshite muppet, was a black card all day long. Feeney never takes his eye off Bonnie, not a bit interested in the ball. He simply has to turn his back and let Bonnie clatter into him and it would have been marked down as a clumsy accident. He braces for the tackle and buries the shoulder, even the slightest attempt to appear honest would have got him off with it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Mike Sheehy

Horseshit.  If a black card didn't exist this would be the clearest justification for introducing it.  ::)