FIFA PRO Team of the year 2013

Started by rodney trotter, January 13, 2014, 05:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2014, 02:06:33 PM
You've one spot left on your team and Leo and Luis are standing there, who do you pick?
I'd pick Messi (by a nose), but that isn't the question.

The question is who performed better in 2013.

I'd take Messi over Ronaldo but Ronaldo performed better in 2013. Same with Suarez.

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2014, 01:55:13 PM

Absolute nonsense, you need to start watching La Liga.
I'd wager that I watch a lot more of La Liga than you do.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Sidney on January 14, 2014, 02:15:43 PM
You've one spot left on your team and Leo and Luis are standing there, who do you pick?

I'd take Messi over Ronaldo but Ronaldo performed better in 2013. Same with Suarez.

You'd lose that one I'm afraid.

Sidney

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2014, 01:34:04 PM

A free kick would be closer to the 'Penalty' category than 'open play'.
You'll find plenty of video compilations of Messi's free-kicks, but not too many of his penalties.

Sidney

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2014, 02:19:50 PM
Quote from: Sidney on January 14, 2014, 02:15:43 PM

You'd lose that one I'm afraid.
Right you are.

nrico2006

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2014, 02:08:06 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2014, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: Sidney on January 14, 2014, 10:32:05 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2014, 10:12:41 AM
To say that Suarez, good as he is is better than Messi is a joke. Messi's consistent record speaks for itself, he brings more to a team than goals. Barca with a fit Messi and a coach would not have gone down 7-0 over two legs to Bayern.
Suarez's performances in 2013 were better than those of Messi.  That should be the only criteria for selection.

Based on that my selection would have been:

Neuer
Lahm
Silva
Dante
Alaba
Ribery
Iniesta
Bale
Suarez
Cronaldo
Ibrahimovic

How is Ibrahimovic or Bale in ahead of Messi though?  He scored more goals than both of them.

Bale doesn't play as a forward, don't know why you are using him as a comparison

He was effectively a loose forward last season and played as far up the field as Messi. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2014, 02:29:27 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2014, 02:08:06 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2014, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2014, 10:12:41 AM
To say that Suarez, good as he is is better than Messi is a joke. Messi's consistent record speaks for itself, he brings more to a team than goals. Barca with a fit Messi and a coach would not have gone down 7-0 over two legs to Bayern.
Suarez's performances in 2013 were better than those of Messi.  That should be the only criteria for selection.

Based on that my selection would have been:

Neuer
Lahm
Silva
Dante
Alaba
Ribery
Iniesta
Bale
Suarez
Cronaldo
Ibrahimovic

How is Ibrahimovic or Bale in ahead of Messi though?  He scored more goals than both of them.

Bale doesn't play as a forward, don't know why you are using him as a comparison

He was effectively a loose forward last season and played as far up the field as Messi.

Still a difference in a wide player and a forward.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 14, 2014, 02:14:55 PM
Gee I said regularly against the top sides, maybe he might in the 2nd half of the season but I have my doubts.
Yeah, but he does regularly score against the top sides, having scored against all bar one of the Top 7 in last season and a half (and 11 of the 16 games he played in against them were away from home).

AZOffaly

I wouldn't have Suarez ahead of Messi. If you were offered a swap from Barcelona, would you not take it in a heartbeat?

However, I'd have him over ibrahimovich all day.

gallsman

Put simply, they weren't and Messi hasn't been fit since his injury against PSG.

Ronaldo best player on an individual level, which is what the award is for, so he wins hands down.

the Deel Rover

How the feck did Larry Reilly not win the award ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Sidney

Quote from: gallsman on January 14, 2014, 03:58:00 PM

Put simply, they weren't and Messi hasn't been fit since his injury against PSG.
Injury, and what a player could have done were they not injured, should not be taken into account. Similarly, what Suarez could have done when he was suspended should not be taken into account.

The only criteria is what the player actually did during 2013. Suarez has been better.

Rossie11

You could argue during 2013 that he was better than Ibra. There would be little complaint there.
I would argue that if Ibra had scored that goal against any other team he wouldn't be in it.
A team or player is only noticed when they preform against England or in some cases play in the EPL.
Ibra has had a great career is not everyone's cup of tea but it was only this year that the masses acknowledged him

Captain Obvious

rodney trotter

Barca have had players on the team of the year every year since 05 http://t.co/oDMpbAQMSP

Dani Alves, Xavi Hernández, Andrés Iniesta and Leo Messi were yesterday name as part of the FIFA/FIFPro World XI 2013 - a team chosen by more than 50,000 players from around the globe. With four players in the side, Barça were once again the Club with most representatives -  something that has happened in each of the last eight years (though they shared that honour with Real Madrid in 2012, when both sides provided 5 players each).

Messi has formed part of the World XI in each of the last seven seasons, whilst  Xavi and Iniesta have appeared in teh last 6 and 5 respectively.

Here is a complete list of quests són els representants del Barça a la història del FIFA/FIFPro World XI:

2005: Eto'o and Ronaldinho.

2006: Zambrotta, Thuram, Eto'o and Ronaldinho.

2007: Puyol, Messi and Ronaldinho.

2008: Puyol, Xavi and Messi.

2009: Alves, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

2010: Puyol, Piqué, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Villa.

2011: Alves, Piqué, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

2012: Alves, Piqué, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

2013: Alves, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

nrico2006

Quote from: Sidney on January 14, 2014, 06:15:59 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 14, 2014, 03:58:00 PM

Injury, and what a player could have done were they not injured, should not be taken into account. Similarly, what Suarez could have done when he was suspended should not be taken into account.

The only criteria is what the player actually did during 2013. Suarez has been better.

Sidney, I still really struggle to see how you can argue that Suarez 'did better'.  You haven't provided any stats on the number of appearances both players made to see who actually did do better.  Additionally, I don't think there are many in the world who would agree with you.  The top two (Messi and Ronaldo) are a level above their challengers.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'