Paisley

Started by armaghniac, January 10, 2014, 10:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

The thing is that Willie is a tad mad and probably believes his own delusions, Paisley was playing the audience with things with things to wind them up, he could then change tune as required by Paisley.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theskull1

As has been mentioned already, Paisley was the leader a large section of the unionist electorate were looking for. Similar to white south africa, plenty of "decent" people who had no conscience about keeping with the status quo. He aped the mood and demeanor of his electorate (people don't do stuff they subconsciously don't agree with) and its taken 50 years  to achieve what was a very simple principle of having equality in the society up here. He's a bit like Worzel Gummidge the number of heads he had. Many will love his god loving one.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Orior

Quote from: theskull1 on January 13, 2014, 11:15:03 AM
As has been mentioned already, Paisley was the leader a large section of the unionist electorate were looking for. Similar to white south africa, plenty of "decent" people who had no conscience about keeping with the status quo. He aped the mood and demeanor of his electorate (people don't do stuff they subconsciously don't agree with) and its taken 50 years  to achieve what was a very simple principle of having equality in the society up here. He's a bit like Worzel Gummidge the number of heads he had. Many will love his god loving one.

He aped the mood? I think he led them like sheep, scared the bejayus out of them.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on January 13, 2014, 01:22:16 PM

He aped the mood? I think he led them like sheep, scared the bejayus out of them.

+1

Paisley knew what he wanted and he didn't care what he did on the way to make that happen.
Testing Accessibility

theskull1

So regardless of partizan nature of this place for 300 years, you believe that Paisley led his electorate like dumb animals (although understanding religious congregations there may be a smidgen of truth there)? You're giving him too much credit IMO. He was a skilled rabble rouser of course, but he wouldn't have roused much rabble if the prejudices weren't there in the first place. That's my point.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Applesisapples

Quote from: theskull1 on January 13, 2014, 01:44:33 PM

So regardless of partizan nature of this place for 300 years, you believe that Paisley led his electorate like dumb animals (although understanding religious congregations there may be a smidgen of truth there)? You're giving him too much credit IMO. He was a skilled rabble rouser of course, but he wouldn't have roused much rabble if the prejudices weren't there in the first place. That's my point.
They were and still are there to an extent, but like all prejudice they are based on fear. Fear that he adeptly manipulated and used. As for equality, there a way to go.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 10, 2014, 11:46:56 AM
The shows main headlines so far is that Paisley has said...

- Bloody Sunday was wrong and he welcomed the apology and that "some of the victims didn't have weapons". (The implication being that some did.)
- The denial of one man, one vote was wrong ( a dramatic about-turn)

And on the Dublin/Monaghan bombs, he says..

- "Who brought that on them? Themselves".

The words of Eugene Reavey recently on the 38th anniversary of the murders of his three brothers in their home made for sad reading the other day. To think that Paisley is still refusing to apologise for his accusations about Eugene says all that needs to be said about him.

You could say similar about Gerry Adams refusing to admit he was in the IRA
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: lawnseed on January 12, 2014, 02:10:03 PM
SThe way I see it is.. Had the nationalist/republicans had a leader of half the charisma of ian paisley our aims would be alot closer than they are today. As for the 26 the only politician who could match paisley is carson theres been nothing there but a shower of mealy mouthed self serving traitors who are only notable by the amount of nepotism and nest feathering they managed to pull off before they were swapped for somebody equally as useless. Paisley for all his faults IS the greatest LEADER nobody even in the same league.

John hume.. Not a patch.. Gerry nah.. Gimp kenny?  Dont even mention him .. A clown!

This word is thrown about a lot, Brian Lenihan was called one for the bank guarantee. I'd be no fan but to call someone a traitor is probably the greatest insult you can give an Irishman.
The definition of a traitor is:

a person who is not loyal to his or her own country : a person who betrays a country by helping or supporting an enemy

Unless you've some evidence to back this up maybe you should stop critising people who have given a lot more to their country than some loudmouth keyboard warrior?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 13, 2014, 02:23:00 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 10, 2014, 11:46:56 AM
The shows main headlines so far is that Paisley has said...

- Bloody Sunday was wrong and he welcomed the apology and that "some of the victims didn't have weapons". (The implication being that some did.)
- The denial of one man, one vote was wrong ( a dramatic about-turn)

And on the Dublin/Monaghan bombs, he says..

- "Who brought that on them? Themselves".

The words of Eugene Reavey recently on the 38th anniversary of the murders of his three brothers in their home made for sad reading the other day. To think that Paisley is still refusing to apologise for his accusations about Eugene says all that needs to be said about him.

You could say similar about Gerry Adams refusing to admit he was in the IRA

So the day after three innocent brothers were murdered through state collusion, Ian Paisley stands up in the House of Commons and falsely accuses another of their brothers by name (without a single mention of the three murders the previous day), of having taken part in the murders of 10 innocent people at Kingsmill; and that, in your mind, is the same as Gerry Adams denying he was in the IRA?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 13, 2014, 02:26:51 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 12, 2014, 02:10:03 PM
SThe way I see it is.. Had the nationalist/republicans had a leader of half the charisma of ian paisley our aims would be alot closer than they are today. As for the 26 the only politician who could match paisley is carson theres been nothing there but a shower of mealy mouthed self serving traitors who are only notable by the amount of nepotism and nest feathering they managed to pull off before they were swapped for somebody equally as useless. Paisley for all his faults IS the greatest LEADER nobody even in the same league.

John hume.. Not a patch.. Gerry nah.. Gimp kenny?  Dont even mention him .. A clown!

This word is thrown about a lot, Brian Lenihan was called one for the bank guarantee. I'd be no fan but to call someone a traitor is probably the greatest insult you can give an Irishman.
The definition of a traitor is:

a person who is not loyal to his or her own country : a person who betrays a country by helping or supporting an enemy

Unless you've some evidence to back this up maybe you should stop critising people who have given a lot more to their country than some loudmouth keyboard warrior?
As far as I'd be concerned, any Irishman who calls him/herself a republican but doesn't care about the partition of his/her country is worse than a traitor.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Mayo4Sam

I'd be pretty sure Kenny has never called himself a republican, I'm not sure about John Hume, thats two of the people Lawnseed named there.

So you dont think Gerry Adams is a coward for not admitting he played a leading role in an organisation that killed almost 2,000 (innocent) people?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 13, 2014, 02:54:54 PM
I'd be pretty sure Kenny has never called himself a republican, I'm not sure about John Hume, thats two of the people Lawnseed named there.

So you dont think Gerry Adams is a coward for not admitting he played a leading role in an organisation that killed almost 2,000 (innocent) people?

You avoided my question.... is paisley's action, (where he stood in westminster and publically and wrongly accused a man mourning the murders of his three brothers the previous day, of being involved in the murders of 10 innocent people at Kingsmill), the same thing as Adams not admitting he was in the IRA? Also, almost 2,000 innocent people? Aside from the fact that 2,000 is inflating the figure by almost 300 (according to Lost Lives), you are claiming that all of these victims were "innocent"? (At least you stopped short of FG's Charlie Flanagan who told us on primetime some weeks back that it was not even the IRA, but "Sinn Féin" who killed every single person in the troubles, or to use his quote, who "perpetrated murder on over 3,000 people". Of course, Miriam did't challenge him. Sure it's only three thousand lives, what odds... if we can get away with blaming it all on SF, then why wouldn't we eh?

Mayo4Sam

I think Paisely and Gerry Adams are exactly the same just one opposite sides of an argument.

You avoided my question, care to answer it?

"According to the CAIN research project at the University of Ulster, the Provisional IRA was responsible for the deaths of 1,824 people during the Troubles up to 2001", so almost 2,000.
And yes I consider anyone that is murdered innocent

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 13, 2014, 03:05:28 PM
I think Paisely and Gerry Adams are exactly the same just one opposite sides of an argument.

You avoided my question, care to answer it?

"According to the CAIN research project at the University of Ulster, the Provisional IRA was responsible for the deaths of 1,824 people during the Troubles up to 2001", so almost 2,000.
And yes I consider anyone that is murdered innocent

You haven't answered my specific question relating to Paisley's specific action. You highlighted my original reference to it. If you are big enough to highlight it and reply to it, then don't conveniently avoid it now. Was publically and wrongly accusing Eugene Reavey, the day after he lost three brothers to collusion, of having murdering 10 innocent people at Kingsmill, the same thing as Adams denying he was in the IRA, as you have suggested in your reply at the start?

P.S. Were all Mick Collins' victims innocent?

Hereiam

Mayo ur talking shite here. As Ziggy said Paisley knew what he wanted and he got it.....fame & fortune.