prods in the 26

Started by lawnseed, December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: lawnseed on December 23, 2013, 02:18:24 PM
so your 'insight' to 'prods in the 26' is Christians singing carols together in Waterford a couple of days before thee "Christian's" birthday? yeah.. that graham Norton hasn't a notion what he's talking about there's no problem ding dong Merrily in waterford

I go to service every week with my wife and intend to raise my son in the Church of Ireland. I don't know why I'm bothering sharing that with you though because, like all good Shinners drones, when the facts change you ignore the facts.

Rossfan

Lawnweed even makes Syfín sound like a rock of sense.
I've 2 near relations married to Prods and apart from saying "Thank Goodness" instead of "Thank God" they're no different to us just like the other small few that live around here.
I suppose their parents and certainly their grandparents might have had some affinity for Britain and its monarch but the current generation couldn't care less and are involved in Gaelic games etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on December 23, 2013, 03:51:43 PM
I've 2 near relations married to Prods and apart from saying "Thank Goodness" instead of "Thank God" they're no different to us just like the other small few that live around here.
I suppose their parents and certainly their grandparents might have had some affinity for Britain and its monarch but the current generation couldn't care less and are involved in Gaelic games etc.
How many protestants in Northern Ireland are involved in Gaelic Games?  Not many I'd say.  Presumably you are referring to the offspring of "mixed" marriages were the children are more often raised as catholics.

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2013, 12:48:47 PM
QuoteIt appears that on one hand you are arguing that you should be allowed to be Irish in NI but on the other hand when it comes to a United Ireland that Unionists should just put up with having their identity taken?

Being Irish in Ireland is wishing to be part of the community, being British in Ireland is divorcing yourself from the community with all of the problems that causes. I am not being perfectly logical here, I also expect the Irish in Britain to be responsible members of British society even if they wish to retain an affinity to Ireland. Do you think the Irish in Britain should march up and down seeking the tricolour on their city hall?
How does being British in Ireland divorce yourself from the community.  Is this just because they don't go to the catholic church, play gaelic games etc?

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on December 23, 2013, 06:43:27 PM
How many protestants in Northern Ireland are involved in Gaelic Games?  Not many I'd say.  Presumably you are referring to the offspring of "mixed" marriages were the children are more often raised as catholics.

How many Catholics played Irish League football? Even during the troubles? Where they had (and still do) to put up with sectarian abuse, anti-catholic banners, songs, British flags/anthems etc? Yet they still played the game, all through that abuse. Maybe they just wanted to play the game, no matter what.

On the other hand, Protestants moan about the GAA being a no go area for Protestants. But no matter what the GAA do now or in the future, it still won't be enough for the vast majority of unionists. They wouldn't want to play GAA anyway.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: BennyCake on December 23, 2013, 06:56:25 PM

How many Catholics played Irish League football? Even during the troubles? Where they had (and still do) to put up with sectarian abuse, anti-catholic banners, songs, British flags/anthems etc? Yet they still played the game, all through that abuse. Maybe they just wanted to play the game, no matter what.

On the other hand, Protestants moan about the GAA being a no go area for Protestants. But no matter what the GAA do now or in the future, it still won't be enough for the vast majority of unionists. They wouldn't want to play GAA anyway.
'Irishness' has nothing whatsoever to do with whether one enjoys gaelic games or not. Prods in the north are more into rugby and football, which entitles them to be considered at least as Irish as BOD or Robbie Keane, I would've thought. There are also many northern nationalists, particularly in urban areas, who would draw their curtains if an All Ireland final was being played in their back garden. Does that make them less Irish than GAA types?

Rossfan

I'm not actually  ;) I'm referring to the sons ( and daughters) of Protestant parents a number of whom i know are involved in Gaelic games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2013, 02:46:15 PM
QuoteI'm sure the 6 counties will follow suit in another 250 years

In places like Cavan relations may never have been so bad as in places further North and in many cases extremist Orange families moved to the North. Probably things will improve, lets hope in less than 250 years, but some places have some way to do. Thirty years ago Rev Armstrong was run out of Limavady for crossing the street at Christmas and 25 years later the DUP opposed his being given the freedom of Limavady.

My finishing comment was clearly tongue in cheek. Relations were bad enough a long time ago but fortunately the protestants in the South were not subjected to the fear mongering of Mr Paisley and his chums.

BennyCake

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 23, 2013, 07:17:21 PM

'Irishness' has nothing whatsoever to do with whether one enjoys gaelic games or not. Prods in the north are more into rugby and football, which entitles them to be considered at least as Irish as BOD or Robbie Keane, I would've thought. There are also many northern nationalists, particularly in urban areas, who would draw their curtains if an All Ireland final was being played in their back garden. Does that make them less Irish than GAA types?

Why would northern Protestants want to be considered as Irish as Robbie Keane? They don't consider themselves in any way Irish.

And Irish or Irishness hasn't been mentioned. Not by me anyway.

armaghniac

QuoteRelations were bad enough a long time ago but fortunately the protestants in the South were not subjected to the fear mongering of Mr Paisley and his chums.

The eminent Dr Paisley has 3 congregations in the 26 counties, one wonders if he was preaching "Love thy neighbour" or "turn the other cheek".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Your point being? 

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on December 23, 2013, 07:22:18 PM
I'm not actually  ;) I'm referring to the sons ( and daughters) of Protestant parents a number of whom i know are involved in Gaelic games.
I like the way you can draw conclusions about their nationality / identity?  So if they are involved in Gaelic Games, there is no way that they can have a British identity  or affinity for Britain?

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on December 23, 2013, 08:29:07 PM

Your point being?

Er, the above post.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on December 23, 2013, 08:38:01 PM

Your point being?

Er, the above post.
So, unlike the previous poster to which I was replying in relation to the number protestants who play GAA, you were agreeing with me?

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on December 23, 2013, 08:50:38 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 23, 2013, 08:38:01 PM

Your point being?

Er, the above post.
So, unlike the previous poster to which I was replying in relation to the number protestants who play GAA, you were agreeing with me?

I don't know the exact figures involved. But my point was that the vast majority wouldnt want to play GAA no matter what is done to "accommodate" them. The flag/anthem/Irish language aspect of the GAA is just a stick used by Unionists to beat the GAA with. If all were removed tomorrow, they still wouldn't want to be involved in any way.