prods in the 26

Started by lawnseed, December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 22, 2013, 02:17:24 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 22, 2013, 01:15:43 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 21, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
think this thread might have been relevant in the pre internet era myself. Most Catholics in the "south" these days give very little heed to being catholics themselves so are hardly going to get wound up  about whether the other fellas is a prod or something else. there's always the odd nut job of course
I was at two funerals up your way in the recent past; one was in Bawnboy and the other in Carrigallen. One of the deceased was a Catholic and the other a prod.
But in both cases the neighbours put on a buffet in the local hall. Religion didn't come into it. Every single thing was donated and prepared by members of the local community.
The local priest turned up at the protestant funeral and the parson or whatever you call him, was at the catholic one.
There wasn't a hint of religious animosity as everyone closed ranks to pay their respects to the dead and to give support to their families.
I haven't come across the likes anywhere else but I do think religious barriers are breaking down everywhere across the country. I know there are elements in both communities who don't move with the spirit of the times but their numbers are decreasing.

I think most of the animosity in the south went out two generations ago in the majority of cases. I know from speaking to my own protestant friends in cavan they would feel they have very little in common with the unionists in the North although they some would privately admit having a bit of gra for the royal family and british tradition. I think they would also see that due to the fact they are a small community they are likely to get smaller due to cross marriage. Interestingly I've seen families that were staunch on either side now watch their kids marry into the other side. I'm sure the 6 counties will follow suit in another 250 years

Plenty of mixed marriages in the North, but in most cases it's just people getting married as religion does not come at the top of their list, good schools, education employment are usually the things in most peoples minds, religion is way down on most peoples views.

I'd love to know the figures on mixed marriages
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

So nothing about the polarised communities up here then MR?

Employment and Education on a level playing field, but the lack of integrated schooling mean continued polarisation between the two communities up here. Obviously the way a lot of the older generation (on both sides) and the catholic church want it, but long term in gets us nowhere.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Hard to see it dying out in short term,though again it is very much a class thing.Agree with Alex Kane that very few people up here hate each other, due to religious differences,but there is a lot of collective hurt in both communities and too many in each community genuinely believe themselves to be downtrodden while "themmuns" (ie the other side) get everything.

anglocelt39

Quote from: theskull1 on December 22, 2013, 08:16:31 PM

Employment and Education on a level playing field, but the lack of integrated schooling mean continued polarisation between the two communities up here. Obviously the way a lot of the older generation (on both sides) and the catholic church want it, but long term in gets us nowhere.

In fairness the thread was addressed to 26 counties and while there is merit in the view taken about the possibly differing positions taken in the South it hardly needs a PHD in much to come to the conclusion that the divisions in the north will take longer to mend,
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

theskull1

Its a fair guess given the experiences in the south that it'll be 4+ generations before normalisation occurs up here.

Happy for the thread to go back on topic
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on December 22, 2013, 11:48:12 PM
Its a fair guess given the experiences in the south that it'll be 4+ generations before normalisation occurs up here.

Happy for the thread to go back on topic
Religious extermists are apparently in the minority in daily life but they (specifically dinosaurs in the DUP) hold a disproportionate level of control over society. People are voting Poots etc. into power so maybe it is people likeus on the end of the bell curve!  :-\

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on December 22, 2013, 08:16:31 PM

[/quote

You're right, there are polarised communities here,  I'm only speaking for myself I suppose, I've like minded friends who are of the same view as myself on these matters, maybe it is a very small minority.

My kids won't be brought up in that environment and haven't been exposed to it either. While we have tribal political parties then we will continue to have division
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

QuoteWhile we have tribal political parties then we will continue to have division

Isn't that the wrong way around?

While we have Northern Ireland we will continue to have division.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

andoireabu

Fromcurting a southern girl we have had this chat about the differences in the north and she couldn't figure out why it was along religous lines. she had protestants in her class at scholl and there was never any bother and the only thing we could think was thaat her protestants were irish protestants while mine weren't.  would protestants in the north have much in common with their southern counterparts other than religion?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2013, 12:27:01 AM
QuoteWhile we have tribal political parties then we will continue to have division

Northern Ireland is a symptom of the problem, not a cause. There was division in Ireland before partition and if NI was dissolved tomorrow, you'd still have division.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2013, 12:27:01 AM

Do we not have tribal politics? Prods vote for unionist parties catholics vote for national/republican parties or have I missed something?

So your train of thought is simple, no Northern Ireland no problems with our unionist friends, why wouldn't unionist take up the fight for freedom if this comes about, throwing it all back to square one

T Fearon

Has anyone in the North, catholic or protestant, got an awful lot in common with anyone in the South culturally (apart from GAA and Orange Order and increasingly commonly shared English and USA Culture) regardless of religion,  100 years after partition? I personally don't think so sadly, crossing the border, either way, really is like entering an entirely different country.

By the way , in recent years, I have been involved in projects/groups which have entailed exchange visits and twinning with towns across the border, and on one occasion ,witnessed a DUP Mayor happily welcoming Mayo people at a function up here, as gaelige (away from the cameras of course!)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on December 23, 2013, 10:57:27 AM
Has anyone in the North, catholic or protestant, got an awful lot in common with anyone in the South culturally (apart from GAA and Orange Order and increasingly commonly shared English and USA Culture) regardless of religion,  100 years after partition? I personally don't think so sadly, crossing the border, either way, really is like entering an entirely different country.

By the way , in recent years, I have been involved in projects/groups which have entailed exchange visits and twinning with towns across the border, and on one occasion ,witnessed a DUP Mayor happily welcoming Mayo people at a function up here, as gaelige (away from the cameras of course!)

Yeah they all support the same soccer teams ;)

armaghniac

QuoteSo your train of thought is simple

Clarity is often simple. If there is no Northern Ireland then there is no need to vote for parties to abolish it and other issues would come to the fore.

Quotewhy wouldn't unionist take up the fight for freedom if this comes about,

Why should they? They would be living in a normal democratic country the same as everywhere else, without injustice to warrant "fighting". One of the most disgusting aspects of the sick counties is this pseudo equivalence between the cause of one side and the other.

QuoteHas anyone in the North, catholic or protestant, got an awful lot in common with anyone in the South culturally

I don't see the people in Cullaville are much different from those in 'Blayney.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PMIs there ill feeling?

A little bit.

Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PMAre they isolated?

A little bit.

Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PMMaybe not quite as irish as their catholic countrymen?

A little bit.

Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PMAre we on this island so fukd up that this really matters almost 100years after independance?

A little bit.