Should amateur clubs meet the cost of championships games abroad?

Started by Knock Yer Mucker In, December 12, 2013, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2013, 03:42:14 PM
Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 03:19:51 PM
Fair enough but I'd say €10K is a fair figure to give to a club for a trip to Britain. If we were going over to Ireland everybody would be expected to pay for their own food, transport to/from airport or travel from hotel to match and all those travelling may have to pay something towards the trip as well.

What would be a fair figure to give a county team to travel to Britain?

What's the point of your loaded question? That club players are just as important as IC players?

Well I happen to think that alright. Just interested to see how much higher you value county players than club players.

Zulu

I don't rate one higher than the other but one level easily pays for itself while the other does not. You seem to be trying to start an irrelevant debate.

The GAA don't pay your travel costs or the price of a post match meal when playing within Ireland so I'd say €10k goes a long way towards covering flights and one nights accommodation, which are the main additional costs for this trip.

Bingo

Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 04:22:29 PM
I don't rate one higher than the other but one level easily pays for itself while the other does not. You seem to be trying to start an irrelevant debate.

The GAA don't pay your travel costs or the price of a post match meal when playing within Ireland so I'd say €10k goes a long way towards covering flights and one nights accommodation, which are the main additional costs for this trip.

When you take an overseas team into, it never pays for itself. An Intercounty team nowhere near pays for itself, the cost of running a county team is nowhere near running a club team and I'd imagine the defecit as a % on a county team would be far greater.

A large part of the cost of running a county team in most counties comes from club championship, club affliations, sponsorship of club championships etc etc.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Does anyone know exactly the amount the club receives from Croke Park? We can all see the logic of deduction the costs of travelling to game  in a coach for a few hundred miles coupled with a team meal before and after the game. So what exactly is the additional costs valued at?

Zulu

And a large part of what clubs get comes from the IC game. It's a circular and you can't separate clubs from counties so it's a bit pointless trying to do so. The gate receipts, TV money and promotional tool the IC game generates more than justifies a healthy financial outlay on them. Croke Park wouldn't have €10k to give Emyvale only for the IC game. Anyway we're off on a bit of a tangent now but if my club was playing this weekend and we had to travel to Britain I'd be fairly happy with €10k.

Bingo

Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 04:36:17 PM
And a large part of what clubs get comes from the IC game. It's a circular and you can't separate clubs from counties so it's a bit pointless trying to do so. The gate receipts, TV money and promotional tool the IC game generates more than justifies a healthy financial outlay on them. Croke Park wouldn't have €10k to give Emyvale only for the IC game. Anyway we're off on a bit of a tangent now but if my club was playing this weekend and we had to travel to Britain I'd be fairly happy with €10k.

One of the great mysteries of the GAA, what is that clubs get from the GAA and in particular from the IC gates etc?

€10k is grand without doubt but don't be thinking they are doing you any wild favour by giving it to you.

Zulu

Well the last set out accounts I saw for my home club we got money from the CB which came from national league games I think. But the grants that clubs get from Croke Park for floodlights, pitch developments etc. come from the money generated from the IC game.

I think Emyvale are entirely justified in getting money from CP from their trip to Britain but I think €10k is a fair figure give or take.

armaghniac

The All Ireland championship should be confined to teams in Ireland. Problem solved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

I don't entirely disagree but why do you think the champions of Britain shouldn't be included when it's one game and not a huge financial burden if clubs are getting €10k?

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on December 12, 2013, 08:51:33 PM
The All Ireland championship should be confined to teams in Ireland. Problem solved.

The perfect solution - I assume you are in Eugene McGee's FRC with forward thinking like that!
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Quote from: armaghniac on December 12, 2013, 08:51:33 PM
Brits out?????

Mitchells got to the final 6 years ago and Fullen gaels got to the final last year. Britain is secure as the fifth province for long time yet.

Up the Brits.

Rossfan

Quote from: theticklemister on December 12, 2013, 09:52:29 PM
Britain is secure as the fifth province for long time yet.

Maybe the Ulster and Leinster Prelim Round losers could enter that Championship
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

The GAA should be the ones paying for this trip, but in my opinion that should only cover the flights and travel expenses.  Can't see how feeding 30 fellas over two days should be factored in to the amount.  £10000 is only enough if thats equal to or greater than what it costs.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Quote from: Zulu on December 12, 2013, 04:36:17 PM

Seperating clubs and counties is the raison d'etre for the organisation you defend so much.

As for your assertions about the money the I/C game generates - you do realise that county team including their "union" demands are paid for by clubs up and down the country. The clubs fund the GAA. It's ordinary club people go to intercounty matches, contribute to county fundraisers etc. To suggest the intercounty game is the "money making" wing of the organisation funding the clubs is complete horse manure. The suggestion is there to suit the GPA agenda so they can siphon of more funds for their poor unfortunate long suffering members.

Zulu

QuoteSeperating clubs and counties is the raison d'etre for the organisation you defend so much.

No it's not and I only defend them against the more paranoid rantings of lunatics like yourself.

QuoteAs for your assertions about the money the I/C game generates - you do realise that county team including their "union" demands are paid for by clubs up and down the country. The clubs fund the GAA. It's ordinary club people go to intercounty matches, contribute to county fundraisers etc.

Utter nonsense. I was under the impression you were involved in the GAA but you can't have so little understanding of what is going on and be involved to any great degree. TV money, and sponsorship of county teams and the All Ireland championship accounts for a significant amount of GAA revenue as does non-GAA events like concerts etc. and we wouldn't have the facilities to host those events without the IC game. On top of that whenever there is a 30K+ crowd at a game you can be sure a significant proportion are people who wouldn't cross the road to go to a club game.

QuoteTo suggest the intercounty game is the "money making" wing of the organisation funding the clubs is complete horse manure.The suggestion is there to suit the GPA agenda so they can siphon of more funds for their poor unfortunate long suffering members.

Jesus wept!!!! Read above again please as you're obviously a paranoid crackpot.