Tyrone v Fermanagh

Started by tyroneman, April 10, 2007, 09:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Tyroneman I think that's a good summary and to be honest I think we have the talent and now the experience but if you're not fitter than your opponent then he will get the ball into his hands more than you and if you dont have the ball you wont get the scores.

We've never had a hugley dominant Midlfield but in 2003 & 2005 we had breaking ball to a tee all over the pitch.
We often recycled ball again and again and with so much possession you can create up to 20/30 scoring chances in a game.

Remember Ulster final 2003 v Down where they scored 3 goals but we still had enough possession to come back and equalise.

I think now loads of teams stop us running out of defense with the ball and Refs a bit more cute Not giving us easy frees we often lose possession or overcarry.

I see Cork have a big 6'7'' FF now this year and I think that unless we can make space for our FF line and hit them quicker faster balls in then we will see a repeat of swarm football in out own half back line. I hate this sideways passing about til someone else gets a hand in.

I've a feeling we're gonna see Mickey surprising a few people with his selection.

I reckon he's gonna go for

Devine
Ricey
Holmes
Gourley
Harte
Block
Jordan
Cavanagh
Hughes
Dooher
Cavlan
Mulgrew
Gormley
Cavanagh
Mulligan.

Injuries permitting
Wont be surprised if Stevie is on the bench or if McCullagh starts if Mugsy or Mulgrew doesnt.

Hughes better sort himself out discipline wise.

sam03/05

Mulgrew is a fantastic footballer and much more a mcguigan than a Dooher.
He really isnt 100% fit a the minute very unlikely that he will play on Sunday

ziggysego

My confidence is growing for this year. Defending has gotten much better, but Tyrone are missing that drive they are reknowned for up front. I still think that Tyrone will win on Sunday, by 4 points.
Testing Accessibility

Mike Sheehy

QuoteTyrones original and magnificent total football system has become a bastardisation of the original free flowing model

I have rarely used the auld icons on this board but that deserves a ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ziggysego

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 17, 2007, 07:50:32 PM
QuoteTyrones original and magnificent total football system has become a bastardisation of the original free flowing model

I have rarely used the auld icons on this board but that deserves a ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One that Kerry has tried to copy in the following years. ;)
Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

At least one McGuigan is starting.
Tommy has been named at centre half forward.
McGinley at full back, Gormley in corner forward and Justin McMahon making debut as well
Devine, McMenamin, McGinley, Carlin, Harte, Conor Gormley, Justin McMahon, Hughes, Cavanagh, Dooher, McGuigan, Mellon, Niall Gormley, Colm Cavanagh, McCullagh

ONeill

Starting with Devine, we'll that's a surprise of sorts and didn't see it coming. I wonder why?

The 6 defenders were expected with Jordan not ready yet to start. Midfield is our best when they're at their best. McGuigan at CHF is another surprise although perhaps he was the only fit option for that position. I wonder how hard he'll work.  Mellon should help out if Hughes is having another off-day. Up front I like it. Raw talent with two hungry championship debutants. Well, they'll either freeze or excel. I think Cavanagh could give Owens a hard time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sam03/05

Senior team to play Fermanagh in the Ulster Championship at Clones on Sunday 20th May at 2.15 pm.

John Devine, Ryan McMenamin, Cormac McGinley, Dermot Carlin, Davy Harte, Conor Gormley, Justin McMahon, Kevin Hughes, Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher (Capt.), Tommy McGuigan, Ryan Mellon, Niall Gormley, Colm Cavanagh, Colm McCullagh.

Subs: Pascal McConnell, Brendan Boggs, Gerald Cavlan, Colm Donnelly, Peter Donnelly, Ciaran Gourley, Colin Holmes, Philip Jordan, Aiden McCarron, Cathal McCarron, Damian McCaul, Enda McGinley, Owen Mulligan, Paul Quinn, Paul Rouse.

Minor team to play Fermanagh in the Ulster Championship at Clones on Sunday 20th May at 12.30 pm.

Michael O'Neill (Clonoe), Paul Martin (Fintona), Aidan Girvan (Rock), Christopher Foley (Dungannon), Cathal McCrory (Errigal Ciaran), Ronan McNabb (Dromore), Kevin Mossey (Gortin), Mark McKenna (Pomeroy), Colin Harkin (Tattyreagh), Paddy McNeice (Coalisland), Kyle Coney (Ardboe), Peter Hughes (Eskra), Paul McAleer (Carrickmore), Tiarnan O'Hagan (Coalisland), Conor O'Neill (Dromore)

Subs: Tim Harney (Glenelly), Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran), Cormac Arkinson (Eskra), James Carlin (Cappagh), Simon O'Neill (Cappagh), Ryan Pickering (Cookstown), Martin Rodgers (Beragh), Stephen Curran (Coalisland), Michael Gallagher (Omagh).

sam03/05

couple of surprises. not the best looking forward line to be honest.

couple of big surprises on minor team

118cmal

Quote from: ONeill on May 17, 2007, 08:32:43 PM
. I think Cavanagh could give Owens a hard time.
I really cant see a young lad making his championship debut giving the current best full back in the country a "hard time."  And i dont think there's much doubt that barry owens is indeed the best full back in the game.  I may be wrong, however i just cant see it.  I see colm cavanagh as a better runner with the ball than a target man, and think his best position might be at 10 or 12.  Ive only seen the lad playin twice at senior level though, what do u tyrone lads think?
I wouldnt pay much heed to the fermanagh team thats announced tonight, im afraid charlie likes to keep his cardsa very close to his chest, but i can see us goin with the following:
1)Tinney/Breen
2)Bogue  3)Owens  4)Goan
5) mcdermott 6) lyons 7) P. Johnston
     8)mcbarron 9)mcgrath
10)maguire 11)little  12) Brew
13)Mcgurn  14)Doc  15) O'Reilly

I think he'll go with a two man full forward line of doc and mcgurn.  Two big target men to pump the high ball into. I think o'reilly will roam out a little to try to pick off points from distance.  I can see us doing it lads, i really can.

Wat ya's think?

Tyrone Dreamer

Not the best team and considering the injuries surely Cavlan should be starting. Not sure if that forward line will get enough scores. Its strange that Tommy McGuigan is judged good enough to start at centre half in the champioinship but hardly got a look in in the league. A few strong options on the bench of theyre all fit.

ONeill

Tommy may be the best fit option at CHF.

In terms of the Ulster championship it's a case of getting through this game and having a month to get our strongest team fit. Can we get through it though?

I've also seen Cavanagh at FF for the Moy a couple of times. I think you'll be surprised.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

That team won't be far off the mark, James Sherry might be in though if fit.
I'd be happy to see that line-up though
Charlie's line-up is usually a good bit different from the starting xv alright.
It's midfield I'm worried about, McBarron will be out to spoil Sean Cavanagh, which he's excellent at, and it could come down to Hughes v McGrath which is an interesting contest.
No doubt the injuries gives us a small chance, but the bookies have it right, we haven't much chance

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: 118cmal on May 17, 2007, 08:54:53 PM
I can see us doing it lads, i really can.

Wat ya's think?

Well I think Fermanagh would give a full strength Tyrone a really tough game so there is no doubt they are capable of beating the team Mickey has named! Must admit I had hoped at the very worst at least one or two of Mulligan, Mulgrew (where are the Dooher comparisons coming from?? Mulgrew is a playmaker), Jordan, Joey or McGinley would have been fit enough to start :'( Would agree that Tommy McGuigan is a somewhat strange choice after not getting many chances in the league.  Cavlan's face doesnt seem to fit anymore but then again maybe Tommy will bring more hunger and drive to the role. We're going to need big games from the more experienced lads like Ricey, Block,  Sean Cavanagh and the Hoover. And  its down to the likes of Justy, McGuigan, Niall Gormely and Cavanagh Og to take this chance and nail down a place. Not overly optimistic but we'll see.

ExiledGael

Well Charlie has named a team for what it's worth, not far off though I'd expect McBarron in if Sherry can't fully recover before Sunday
                                 Chris Breen

Niall Bogue           Barry Owens             Shane Goan

Shane Lyons    Shane McDermott      Tommy McElroy

Marty McGrath         James Sherry

Mark Little              Tom Brewster (c)    Eamon Maguire

Ciaran McElroy      Ciaran O'Reilly         Colm Bradley

Lyons, who played International Rules at U17 level, Tommy McElroy, and Ciaran McElroy, whos plays his club football with Ballinascreen in Derry, are the three Championship debutants.

I'm nervous already