Nearest clubs across county/provincial borders

Started by BennyCake, November 28, 2013, 12:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Kileeshil and Emyvale meet in the Ulster JFC final this weekend, with just 10 miles separating both clubs.

Has there been a case of two teams from different counties meeting in a provincial/All-Ireland competition that were closer in proximity than these two clubs?

And what two teams would be the nearest to each other than could meet in such competitions?

From the top of my head, I thought of Ballinderry v Ardboe or Moortown, Moy v Collegeland, Aghaloo v Emyvale. But I'm sure there are closer clubs straddling county boundaries than that.

Feckitt

Newry Bosco v Newry Shamrocks.  Both Down teams, one plays their matches in Co Armagh and the other plays on a pitch that is half in Armagh and half in Down.

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2013, 12:15:58 PM
Kileeshil and Emyvale meet in the Ulster JFC final this weekend, with just 10 miles separating both clubs.

Has there been a case of two teams from different counties meeting in a provincial/All-Ireland competition that were closer in proximity than these two clubs?

And what two teams would be the nearest to each other than could meet in such competitions?

From the top of my head, I thought of Ballinderry v Ardboe or Moortown, Moy v Collegeland, Aghaloo v Emyvale. But I'm sure there are closer clubs straddling county boundaries than that.

Sixmilebridge is only a few miles out of Limerick City where Na Pairsigh are based and they're only after playing in the Munster hurling final.

AZOffaly

There's a load straddling county bounds, or being very close, but if they've ever met in competition I don't know. Killavilla in Offaly and Roscrea in Tipp would be a couple of kilometres apart. In fact Offaly would have a pile of these type situations. Given the proximity to counties in Connacht and Muster as well, there's even more scope for it. Lorrha in North Tipp would be very close to Lusmagh; Shannonbridge and Clann na Gael in Roscommon would be able to kick the ball over the Shannon to each other. St. Rynaghs and Meelick Eyrecourt in Galway could do similar with a sliotar.

Outside of Offaly, Saint Brigids and Garrycastle must be close, and they played an All Ireland Semi Final recently.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 28, 2013, 12:42:48 PM
There's a load straddling county bounds, or being very close, but if they've ever met in competition I don't know. Killavilla in Offaly and Roscrea in Tipp would be a couple of kilometres apart. In fact Offaly would have a pile of these type situations. Given the proximity to counties in Connacht and Muster as well, there's even more scope for it. Lorrha in North Tipp would be very close to Lusmagh; Shannonbridge and Clann na Gael in Roscommon would be able to kick the ball over the Shannon to each other. St. Rynaghs and Meelick Eyrecourt in Galway could do similar with a sliotar.

Outside of Offaly, Saint Brigids and Garrycastle must be close, and they played an All Ireland Semi Final recently.

Relatives to on each team?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Surely Bredagh (Down) are close to St Brigids (Antrim) in Belfast??

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2013, 12:44:53 PM

Yes, the Westmeath Dolans of Dessie and Gary would be first cousins of the Brigid;s Frankie. There's probably others as well.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

There is potential for Western Gaels, County Roscommon v Ballaghadereen, County Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 28, 2013, 12:54:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2013, 12:44:53 PM

Yes, the Westmeath Dolans of Dessie and Gary would be first cousins of the Brigid;s Frankie. There's probably others as well.

There were 4 Garrycastle players (Dessie, Gary, James Dolan and Alan Fox) playing against their 1st cousins with St.Brigid's (Frankie, Garvan, Darren Dolan).  Only a few miles would separate the 2 clubs.

There was almost a Leinster final derby in 2006 only for Moorefield to beat Tyrrellspass in the semi and prevent a Tyrrellspass v Rhode final.

johnneycool

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 28, 2013, 12:46:10 PM
Surely Bredagh (Down) are close to St Brigids (Antrim) in Belfast??

Probably closer to St Malachys in Antrim TBH.

nrico2006

Strabane and Lifford would be very close as would the like of Aghagallon and St Pauls/Clann Eireann/St Peters in Lurgan.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Lots of clubs in Cavan along the border of Counties Meath, Longford, Monaghan,,Westmeath Leitrim and Fermanagh. Arva is on the border of both Leinster and Connacht, Dromard and Colmcille in Longford and Carrigallen in Leitrim. Mountnugent is 5 mile from Oldcastle Meath.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

barelegs

Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2013, 12:15:58 PM

Oddly enough Truagh are closer to the border than Emyvale and they play Eskra in the Intermediate final. I don't think there'd be anymore than 10-12 miles between the two clubs.

Brackaville met An Port Mor in the Junior final last year and there isn't anymore than 10 miles between them either.

Walter Cronc

Greenlough (Derry) & Portglenone (Antrim). Couldnt be anymore than 3-4 miles.