Weatherspoons come to Site Cinty Dublin

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 26, 2013, 03:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 26, 2013, 05:07:00 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2013, 04:50:25 PM
Quote from: optimus cheese on November 26, 2013, 04:43:39 PM
Ah Weatherspoons, that shining beacon that attracts that tracksuited masses. A great place to go if you like a row, cheap as chips right enough, but the threat of getting glassed at any second balances that one out

I've been in many a Weatherspoons in England and never felt threatened.

You should try the one in Belfast....just a petrol bomb's throw from both Sandy Row and the Markets :o

There was an almighty row in the place about 6/7 years ago involving loyalists. Bouncer asked members of a crowd to cover up ther loyalist tattoos and got a hiding. Turned out he was much, much more senior than the lot of them in the a diggerent brigade of the same organisation if I recall correctly and a number of them, ah, had a few accidents over the following days.

imtommygunn

A bouncer in it lost an eye in a fight one night.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 26, 2013, 05:59:25 PM

It's all fun and games until that happens.

CD

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2013, 06:05:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 26, 2013, 05:59:25 PM

It's all fun and games until that happens.

Someone was running was scissors
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ross4life

I have never encountered any trouble in Weatherspoons on my visits in Belfast though its mostly mid week when i'm there. In the UK they have similar restaurants like Yates that are cheaper than Weatherspoons.

The Sunday roasts & Curry,Steak nights will be most welcome to Dublin.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 26, 2013, 03:24:55 PM
I see it's been confirmed (after lots of rumour) that JD Weatherspoons are coming to Blackrock. Shur, this just down the road from where I live

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jd-wetherspoon-dublin-1192320-Nov2013/

Shall we roll out the welcome mats or should we run them out of the place?

Coming on top of the news that GAA is being played in Blackrock College and our beloved Superquinn in becoming SuperValu should I just pack the bags and move back to Longford?

Would they take you back with that South Dublin brogue you have developed?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

All of a Sludden

I was talking to a bloke the other day and asked what he did for a living.

"I prepare food for vagrants, down-and-outs, no hopers and alcoholics "

"So you work in a shelter for the homeless?"

"No, I'm a chef at Weatherspoons"
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

Tonic wasn't the worse place in Blackrock, this doesn't seem like progress.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

CD

Quote from: armaghniac on November 26, 2013, 08:19:20 PM

Seriously - this will lead to a crash in house prices in Blackrock. Sell up before it opens - all sorts of nefarious cretins will emerge from the cracks to take advantage of 2 meals with 2 pints for 6.69. Weatherspoons are a plague!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on November 26, 2013, 08:19:20 PM

No, it wasn't rough or anything, it was just crap and overpriced, like most places in Blackrock. Food was particularly shite. I believe the Wicked Wolf attracted a crowd of some sort of semi disrepute before my time.

stephenite

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 26, 2013, 03:55:25 PM
God be with the days of The Mad Hatter......

Oh, the memories. Such joyful hazy memories

armaghniac

QuoteNo, it wasn't rough or anything, it was just crap and overpriced, like most places in Blackrock. Food was particularly shite.

I actually had some decent enough food in Tonic, not off the menu but at a gatherin of sorts.
What was it called before Tonic?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

I'd think the problem with Weatherspoons in Belfast in that it's the only one of its ilk. So it's like a magnet for every degenerate within 3 miles. In London where there's more of these types of pub, the degenerates get thinned out, and there's some cracking JD pubs.

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on November 26, 2013, 11:13:37 PM
QuoteNo, it wasn't rough or anything, it was just crap and overpriced, like most places in Blackrock. Food was particularly shite.

I actually had some decent enough food in Tonic, not off the menu but at a gatherin of sorts.
What was it called before Tonic?

Couldn't tell you - it's been Tonic since I got here in 2010. There's an awful nightclub upstairs.

Perhaps it used to be good but the last time I ate there was about two years ago and it was god awful. Blackrock is surprisingly poor in general for eating. Ouzos is good if you like seafood but nothing special.

Two places I do like in Blackrock, although they are extortionate are the Wooden Spoon and Lazy Days.