Pat Flanagan new Sligo Manager

Started by rodney trotter, November 25, 2013, 10:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 26, 2013, 02:34:06 PM
Not all the players respected Pat but I agree that we've probably traded down. Our CB get more things wrong than right but in this instance they were fully justified to see were there more suitable candidates out there. I'm surprised they didn't get a better quality of managers interested, (why did McStay go for the Kildare job when Westmeath are nearer to his base) but they still did the right thing in looking. Now appointing Bealin over reappointing Pat is where we start to get things wrong again.

I think McStay is now based on the Curragh.

Interesting to see how Bealin gets on with Westmeath. He had a disappointing spell with Monasterevin in Kildare. There's the bones of a good team in Westmeath if they get their act together.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

shark

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 26, 2013, 04:03:27 PM
Not all the players respected Pat but I agree that we've probably traded down. Our CB get more things wrong than right but in this instance they were fully justified to see were there more suitable candidates out there. I'm surprised they didn't get a better quality of managers interested, (why did McStay go for the Kildare job when Westmeath are nearer to his base) but they still did the right thing in looking. Now appointing Bealin over reappointing Pat is where we start to get things wrong again.

Interesting to see how Bealin gets on with Westmeath. He had a disappointing spell with Monasterevin in Kildare. There's the bones of a good team in Westmeath if they get their act together.

He's not 'based' anywhere, he retired from the DF a few months ago. Lives in Ros town.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: shark on November 26, 2013, 04:11:15 PM

He's not 'based' anywhere, he retired from the DF a few months ago. Lives in Ros town.

I thought it was the reason that he didn't stay on with St Brigids?

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/mcstays-days-as-ace-of-clubs-are-closed-forever-29208426.html
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

That would make sense if he is. Can see it falling apart pretty quickly if we get a run of poor results. Pity Paul Curran wasn't interested in the job, probably felt he had unfinished business with Ballymun, nearly did the impossible this year in retaining the Dublin championship.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2013, 12:30:12 PM
If ye appoint mr Carr you'd better keep your mouth shut on here.

On the contrary, there will be plenty of venting to be done here.

Be careful. Remember tommy's rant about faceless cowards on Internet forums.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2013, 04:27:44 PM

The Tommy filter must have snared that one (along with all the rest of his ranting). When and where was that?

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 26, 2013, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2013, 04:27:44 PM

The Tommy filter must have snared that one (along with all the rest of his ranting). When and where was that?

Probably done anonymously on the net.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

On newstalk with Val Andrewwwwwwwwws and Ger 'the sellout' Gilroy one Saturday.

ross4life

Pat Flanagan seem like a solid appointment for Sligo. How & why is Tommy Carr getting promoted to the senior gig with Westmeath? he was unable to get the best out of very good Westmeath U-16 team.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

neilthemac

Tommy is currently manager of the minor team and is heavily involved with developing systems for underage development in Westmeath.
Some people never learn

shark

Quote from: ross4life on November 26, 2013, 06:16:14 PM
Pat Flanagan seem like a solid appointment for Sligo. How & why is Tommy Carr getting promoted to the senior gig with Westmeath? he was unable to get the best out of very good Westmeath U-16 team.

Well they got to the All-Ireland 1/4 final where they lost to the eventual champions.  They were indeed very strong at u-16 but they were heavily reliant on one player (Luke Loughlin) which becomes more of an issue as you move up the age groups.  We will see how he goes with them this year, as he has the majority of last year's team underage again.

Syferus

They were good but very good is a stretch. Mayo and a over-egged Lilies' side man-handled them.

Carr isn't as bad as some here would have you believe, but I wouldn't be about to plant him in a senior job unless his arrow keeps pointing upwards.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2013, 06:12:03 PM
On newstalk with Val Andrewwwwwwwwws and Ger 'the sellout' Gilroy one Saturday.

There's another reason that got filtered out, Val is very harsh on the ears. Sports on newstalk isn't the same since the Second Captains left/were sent home.

Quote from: shark on November 26, 2013, 07:53:01 PM

Well they got to the All-Ireland 1/4 final where they lost to the eventual champions.  They were indeed very strong at u-16 but they were heavily reliant on one player (Luke Loughlin) which becomes more of an issue as you move up the age groups.  We will see how he goes with them this year, as he has the majority of last year's team underage again.

True but they got their asses handed to them by Mayo and Kildare. It was real naive stuff against Kildare. There's lads that achieved at U16 that should have been starting but Tommy obviously wanted to blood the younger lads. Pressure on them now this year, Tommy's third year in the job.

rodney trotter

New Sligo manager Pat Flanagan has refused to rule out reaching out to Eamonn O'Hara for a comeback with the Yeats County.

The former All Star retired after being left out by former boss Kevin Walsh this year and went on to feature as an analyst for RTÉ.

Flanagan told the Irish Daily Mail: "I was only ratified on Monday night so as far as I'm concerned my plan would be to get the best for Sligo football.

"And whatever that is and whatever that takes I'll be doing it.

"The door won't be closed on anybody and my idea is to try and improve players and get the best out of their ability.

"That was a controversial incident between Kevin and Eamonn.

"What I want to do tonight is meet with several individuals and from there I'll draw up a plan. I wouldn't rule out anything at this point."

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on November 26, 2013, 09:22:27 PM
a over-egged Lilies' side man-handled them.

wouldn't be about to plant him in a senior job unless his arrow keeps pointing upwards.
I'd love to be able to help ye with a translation lads but I have no earthly idea what th'eejitín is on about  :-[ :( ???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM