THE GADGET THREAD ** all consumer goods included

Started by lawnseed, November 19, 2013, 09:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

I'm not too well up in the gadget department so i'm going to trust the good advice and experience of my fellow boarders. if you've seen something or got something new lately perhaps you would share your experience with that product or maybe someone you know has tried it and its crap or too expensive or it simply doesn't work or its great, the last word, saves time and £££££$$$$$$€€€€€'s.

I'm thinking of getting one of those tefal 1spoonful frying yokes. your supposed to be able to cook chips with just a spoonful of oil. sounds great.. no smells, no grease.. less power required! which begs the question why are chip shops not using them.. anyway they're not that cheap £159.99 in argus for the family sized one. £160 doesn't drop out of the sky so it would need to work.

any one get one?

ps and an important ps don't go into too much technical stuff. picture a sow looking into a watch...  ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

before I forget lidl in the south were selling a chain saw blade sharpener for 25 euros. this is a little grinder device that you put you chain into and sharpen each tooth so they are exactly the same, and also you don't take too much off them. any toolhire will charge a fiver for this service. so for all you pot belly stove men lidl is worth a visit in the south. I bought the one I have from a chainsaw dealer about 4 years ago it was 70 quid..

Bensars

Tefal actifry is one of best gadgets to come into our house. Used daily.

In regards of chips- it's deadly. We use the  low calorie spray. Actually prefer these chips now to traditional fried. Although dear you won't regret it

DrinkingHarp

I was looking at picking up a Fitbit Force or UP24 by Jawbone, both measure your sleep/quality of sleep, activity/workouts, food and drink tracking etc. Anyone have one of these?

https://jawbone.com/up

http://www.fitbit.com/force
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

macdanger2

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 20, 2013, 12:32:53 AM
I was looking at picking up a Fitbit Force or UP24 by Jawbone, both measure your sleep/quality of sleep, activity/workouts, food and drink tracking etc. Anyone have one of these?

https://jawbone.com/up

http://www.fitbit.com/force

Are there not apps that can do all that??

Handy thing to have if you're ever looking at a car is a multimeter

john mcgill

On my third Jawbone Up since May.  I really like the functions, I have a desk job and I have it set to buzz after 30mins to make me get up and walk.  It also is good for making you work towards the target of 10,000 steps per day.  I monitor my sleep and sleep much better than I thought.
The down side is the reliability. I bought from John Lewis and they have replaced two without question.  Bit expensive at £100 but I don't complain when I buy pints at 5 euros!

Eamonnca1

At the weekend I picked up a projector that's near as dammit small enough to fit in your pocket for $300. Takes a HDMI connection, so with an adapter I can plug it into my iPhone. Projector has a battery you can charge up and an internal speaker. Little tapped hole on the bottom is compatible with standard tripods. I got a carrying case, tripod, iPhone adapter, all for $500. Deadly.

lawnseed

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 20, 2013, 08:42:44 AM
At the weekend I picked up a projector that's near as dammit small enough to fit in your pocket for $300. Takes a HDMI connection, so with an adapter I can plug it into my iPhone. Projector has a battery you can charge up and an internal speaker. Little tapped hole on the bottom is compatible with standard tripods. I got a carrying case, tripod, iPhone adapter, all for $500. Deadly.
easy on the technical stuff eamy.. what's a hdmi connection, what does your projector do.. why do you need it..  ??? is it for your work..

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on November 20, 2013, 10:18:49 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 20, 2013, 08:42:44 AM
easy on the technical stuff eamy.. what's a hdmi connection, what does your projector do.. why do you need it..  ??? is it for your work..

I'm thinking you should take it one step at a time..........

MWWSI 2017

sensethetone

Quote from: lawnseed on November 19, 2013, 09:25:30 PM
I'm not too well up in the gadget department so i'm going to trust the good advice and experience of my fellow boarders. if you've seen something or got something new lately perhaps you would share your experience with that product or maybe someone you know has tried it and its crap or too expensive or it simply doesn't work or its great, the last word, saves time and £££££$$$$$$€€€€€'s.

I'm thinking of getting one of those tefal 1spoonful frying yokes. your supposed to be able to cook chips with just a spoonful of oil. sounds great.. no smells, no grease.. less power required! which begs the question why are chip shops not using them.. anyway they're not that cheap £159.99 in argus for the family sized one. £160 doesn't drop out of the sky so it would need to work.

any one get one?

ps and an important ps don't go into too much technical stuff. picture a sow looking into a watch...  ;)
we've one very slow to cook chips

EC Unique

We use a deep fat fryer once a week to make chips. I always peel and cut my own chips as opposed to frozen. Are these yokes any good for this?

rosnarun

Quote from: sensethetone on November 20, 2013, 11:15:55 AM

any one get one?

about 20 mins i hear and would it really feed a family or would some have to wait for the second round. make for a very drawn out dinner
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

lawnseed

Quote from: rosnarun on November 20, 2013, 02:35:24 PM

any one get one?

about 20 mins i hear and would it really feed a family or would some have to wait for the second round. make for a very drawn out dinner
yes good point.. would you need two of them going beside each other the lawnseedlings would have the legs ate off the table

ludermor

Quote from: lawnseed on November 20, 2013, 03:38:31 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 20, 2013, 02:35:24 PM

any one get one?

yes good point.. would you need two of them going beside each other the lawnseedlings would have the legs ate off the table
with manure being such a good fertiliser I doubt the lawnseedlings are going hungry

The Iceman

anyone ever visit http://lifehacker.com/   (fixed that) great website with lots of gadgets and ways to use products in other ways that what they were designed for....

My mother has one of those actifry yokes and swears by it - we're not big chip eaters so would be no good to us but if you are it seems to be worth every penny.

A blue tooth headset for the house phone is a great job when you have kids to take care of - you might look like Garth Brooks walking about but it frees you up to change nappys, clean up and have two hands without breaking your neck balancing the phone on your shoulder.

I don't leave the house now without the leatherman multi-tool in the car or on my person - great yoke for any outdoorsy ones.

The ceramic frying pan has been a great job in the kitchen.

And these cheap insulators have saved me wrapping old towels and socks around outside taps:
http://plumbingolympia.wildcowstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hosebib-cover.jpg
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight