GAA reveal results of study into injuries

Started by orangeman, November 19, 2013, 03:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

http://www.gaa.ie/medical-and-player-welfare/news/1911131251-gaa-medical-scientific-and-welfare-committee-updates-/

A new study of over 2,500 inter-county GAA players has found that two out of every three players on a team will get injured in one season.

The research carried out by the GAA and University College Dublin also found that a third of players will have multiple injuries,
while a quarter of injuries will be a recurrence of an old complaint.

The research found that lower limb injuries were the most common among players, followed by upper limb injuries.

The majority of injuries happen in the second half of a game.

Only a small number of injuries have been to the head with less than one per cent of injuries being diagnosed as concussion.

However, the GAA has said it is very much aware of the seriousness of concussion.

It has published new updated guidelines for teams and management which state that a player with diagnosed concussion should never be allowed to return to play on the day of injury.

The Association has also issued a 'return to play' protocol following a concussion injury.

A new 15-minute training warm up focusing on preventing lower limb injuries is also being introduced from January 2014.

President of the GAA Liam O'Neill said the organisation is not waiting for things to happen, it is actively trying to be proactive. The priority is to put athletes first by trying to reduce the risk of injury to the players.

neilthemac

This is an interesting study.

However I am disappointed that they did not examine the various avenues to injury prevention such as foam rolling, the intensity of static stretching and overuse of dynamic stretching by teams, yoga for players.

CD

Quote from: neilthemac on November 20, 2013, 11:09:28 AM

However I am disappointed that they did not examine the various avenues to injury prevention such as foam rolling, the intensity of static stretching and overuse of dynamic stretching by teams, yoga for players.

Inter-County players are in a relatively fortunate position in terms of injuries - they get expert help and advice -access to private health care and physio. Anyone who played the game pre-2000 at club level will tell you that you are very much left to yourself when injured. I had two fairly serious injuries whilst playing in the 90s that I'm still struggling with today because I didn't receive adequate support and advice. I played Junior football and my club couldn't afford to send lads to physio every turn round and certainly didn't have the numbers for me to take a 6-8 week rest. There was virtually no warm-up and the warm down happened down the local after the game. Yoga was a bear who liked picanic baskets. We thought foam rollers were for lagging pipes and static stretching was what the fat full forward did when reaching for a ball.

I have 3 brothers. The three of us who played GAA are full of niggles and aches and pains. My eldest brother who was a couch potato until he was 36 is now running marathons and triathlons every week and is flying fit.

I'd love to see the results of a study like this into club players, not the GAA elite - that would make interesting reading.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

neilthemac

Quote from: CD on November 20, 2013, 01:40:44 PM

Inter-County players are in a relatively fortunate position in terms of injuries - they get expert help and advice -access to private health care and physio. Anyone who played the game pre-2000 at club level will tell you that you are very much left to yourself when injured. I had two fairly serious injuries whilst playing in the 90s that I'm still struggling with today because I didn't receive adequate support and advice. I played Junior football and my club couldn't afford to send lads to physio every turn round and certainly didn't have the numbers for me to take a 6-8 week rest. There was virtually no warm-up and the warm down happened down the local after the game. Yoga was a bear who liked picanic baskets. We thought foam rollers were for lagging pipes and static stretching was what the fat full forward did when reaching for a ball.

I have 3 brothers. The three of us who played GAA are full of niggles and aches and pains. My eldest brother who was a couch potato until he was 36 is now running marathons and triathlons every week and is flying fit.

I'd love to see the results of a study like this into club players, not the GAA elite - that would make interesting reading.

you should talk to ex rugby players - most of them crippled - especially with back, shoulder and neck problems

what the elite of GAA do is usually copied at club level, so if there is more discussion about the likes of proper rest periods between training sessions, foam rolling, the intensity of static stretching and overuse of dynamic stretching by teams, yoga for players then it would filter down to most club players.

most players/sportspeople crave information so there should be more openness on what the elite teams and players are doing.

CD

Quote from: neilthemac on November 20, 2013, 03:37:14 PM

you should talk to ex rugby players - most of them crippled - especially with back, shoulder and neck problems

what the elite of GAA do is usually copied at club level, so if there is more discussion about the likes of proper rest periods between training sessions, foam rolling, the intensity of static stretching and overuse of dynamic stretching by teams, yoga for players then it would filter down to most club players.

most players/sportspeople crave information so there should be more openness on what the elite teams and players are doing.

Totally agree Neil - there has been a massive change in the past 15 years - you only have to read some of the posts on the running thread on here to see how much more aware we are of the need to look after our body correctly. The theory of what happens at elite level does filter down but it's remarkably slow and clubs don't have the resources to put these things into practise. The gulf is still massive!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

neilthemac

Quote from: CD on November 20, 2013, 04:17:59 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on November 20, 2013, 03:37:14 PM

Totally agree Neil - there has been a massive change in the past 15 years - you only have to read some of the posts on the running thread on here to see how much more aware we are of the need to look after our body correctly. The theory of what happens at elite level does filter down but it's remarkably slow and clubs don't have the resources to put these things into practise. The gulf is still massive!
ok, but clubs don't need to spend money. implementing proper  stretching routines is free once taught to coaches and players in the club. yoga classes are cheap (free if players are taught how to do it).
giving lads a few days off is free. foam rolling is free once a lad buys the foam roller or the club keeps a few for players to use - brilliant way to reduce physio bills by the way.
but unless the average club player has heard of the elite players using these approaches then they will not buy into them

Milltown Row2

Pre 90's the pitches we played on were not as good as we have today, training techniques were pretty bad and as said stretching was non existent.

I'd say there is less injuries (long term) in hurling than football
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2013, 08:14:39 PM
Pre 90's the pitches we played on were not as good as we have today, training techniques were pretty bad and as said stretching was non existent.

+1
In fact, in terms of all the main field sports (Gaelic, Soccer, Rugby and Hurling), hurling would be the safest (long term injury wise)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on November 21, 2013, 10:53:11 AM

+1
In fact, in terms of all the main field sports (Gaelic, Soccer, Rugby and Hurling), hurling would be the safest (long term injury wise)

I've known of a few nasty hand injuries in hurling where some form of mobility/dexterity/strength has been lost in a particular limb, my own right thumb isn't worth a f**k for opening lids of things after suffering from a bit of ligament damage in the base of it years ago.

There's a good few I'd know who had to get pins inserted etc, etc.

ballinaman

If anyone would like a copy of the study, give me a PM with your email and I'll send it onto you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on November 21, 2013, 12:08:36 PM

+1

I've known of a few nasty hand injuries in hurling where some form of mobility/dexterity/strength has been lost in a particular limb, my own right thumb isn't worth a f**k for opening lids of things after suffering from a bit of ligament damage in the base of it years ago.

No problem lifting the lid on a few cans I'd say :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

That's crazy talk. Sure how are you supposed to play with a pile of foam rolled around you. Granted you'd be safe but come on.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2013, 02:39:58 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 21, 2013, 12:08:36 PM

+1

No problem lifting the lid on a few cans I'd say :P

Luckily I'm left handed...