AP McCoy

Started by BarryBreensBandage, November 07, 2013, 08:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 08, 2013, 03:27:00 PM
You have different criteria to bring into this argument such as how global is the sport in question and how does the individual rank in the overal hierarchy?  You have:

- Mc Coy, who relies on a horse to do most of the work.  One of the best jockeys about but again how global is the 'sport', has all his winners not been mainly in the UK and Ireland against other UK and Ireland jockeys?  If he is the best, how many jockeys is he actually competing against? Prior to McCoy, only one other jockey had ridden 200 winners in a season. McCoy has done it 7 times. To eclipse McCoy (if he retired today), someone would on average have to have 200 winners for 20 seasons.

- Harrington, who won multiple majors in one of the most global sports with a huge number of participants.  Definitely in with a shout. 

-  Katie Taylor, dominates her weight class in a minority sport that is largely unpopular around the globe. Boxing is unpopular? Four time world champion. Ireland's only legitimate Olympic gold medalist in 20 years.

- McGuigan,  won a world title but didn't hold it long.  Was he really the best in the world at his weight? Briefly, yes, in a time where you became the man by beating the man. In this case, a long reigning legend.

- Kelly/Roche, both near the top of the cycling world in a sport that is pretty global.  Roche has to be in with a shout. Drugs cheats the two of them

- O'Driscoll, one of the best players in the world in his position but again in a minority sport that is only taken seriously by a handful of countries.

- McIlroy, 2 majors already at a young age in a huge global sport.  Nationality up for debate.

- Best, arguably the greatest footballer to ever come out of the UK and Ireland and possibly the greatest European footballer ever.  Is he Irish though?

Katie Taylor is the best amateur boxer in her weight category.  Womens boxing is a minority sport though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bensars

Its a good job all these named greats have been around the last 25 years. ::)

Must piss of all those who plyed their trade in the years prior to this "golden" age

Screen will be listing Glenn Ross next !

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2013, 03:34:36 PM
Strange some craic in Ireland when she won, seemed a lovely girl

I would never have described her as 'lovely', she was as brittle as feck. Still, I can't deny I enjoyed the moment(s).

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 08, 2013, 04:04:17 PM
Katie Taylor is the best amateur boxer in her weight category.  Womens boxing is a minority sport though.

Define minority sport. How many female boxers are there globally? Is it about participant numbers or specator numbers?

Don't give me that shite about "in her weight class". Ali was also the best "in his weight class". She's one of, if not, the best female boxers on the planet.

glens abu

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 08:35:22 PM

Define minority sport. How many female boxers are there globally? Is it about participant numbers or specator numbers?

Don't give me that shite about "in her weight class". Ali was also the best "in his weight class". She's one of, if not, the best female boxers on the planet.

100% seen her box exhibition bout and she was great and know when she spars with the men on the Irish team she holds her own.Can only beat what is put in front of her and she beats them all.Class act in every way.

rrhf

To not mention Canavan in the group is demonstrating a great disservice to Gaelic football

BennyCake

Katie "born again nut with the personality of an ashtray" Taylor, Ireland's greatest sports star? What the fcuk?! A woman boxer? Women's boxing is a freak show. I wouldn't give it the time of day.

I heard her interviewed once, and she was rabbiting on about the mad Christian thing. That confirmed all I needed to know about her.

By the way, why did Tony McCoy change his name to AP?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2013, 01:08:13 AM
Katie "born again nut with the personality of an ashtray" Taylor, Ireland's greatest sports star? What the fcuk?! A woman boxer? Women's boxing is a freak show. I wouldn't give it the time of day.

I heard her interviewed once, and she was rabbiting on about the mad Christian thing. That confirmed all I needed to know about her.

he didn't - the English media changed it from AP to Tony
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tonto

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 09, 2013, 08:50:51 AM

Yeah, the English are a right bunch of arrogant bastards aren't they?  Oppressive fcukers.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/uk/2013/1104/484602-mccoy-now-two-shy-of-4000-milestone/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/24860031

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 08:35:22 PM

Suppose we will only know if she is the best if/when she turns professional.  Womens boxing is a minority sport.  There wouldn't be a huge amount of participants or spectators.  Hardly rocket science.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: Tonto on November 09, 2013, 09:26:06 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 09, 2013, 08:50:51 AM

Yeah, the English are a right bunch of arrogant b**tards aren't they?  Oppressive fcukers.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/uk/2013/1104/484602-mccoy-now-two-shy-of-4000-milestone/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/24860031

In fairness he said the English media.

You know, those philanthropic people who gave us the Leveson Enquiry?
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on November 09, 2013, 12:57:27 AM
To not mention Canavan in the group is demonstrating a great disservice to Gaelic football

FFS!!!  ::) ::) ::)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on November 11, 2013, 09:56:59 AM
Quote from: rrhf on November 09, 2013, 12:57:27 AM

FFS!!!  ::) ::) ::)
;D Most people ignored it!

CSC

Quote from: highorlow on November 08, 2013, 01:45:42 PM
Quoteif you read his book you would be amazed at some of the stories

Aye great book.

Gives a great insight to anyone (myself included) that has no understanding much about the skill involved in riding how rare these lads are and the dedication and risks they take.

The stories about him mitching from school and going to his 1st trainers yard (can't think of trainers name) and how no jockey in the yard senior or junior could handle this particular crankey horse until wee Tony got up on him and controlled him, he was only 12 or so!.

This is the big "special factor" that AP has. I know a couple of lads who are in the racing business (break in horses / trainers etc) and they say that AP has this ability control horses, and in the racing world, has the ability to push a nervious horse over a fence at full speed. Most jockey's will relax the horse and let it jump the fence at its own speed if the horse is twitchy. McCoy has the ability to make the horse jump the fence without slowing down. So his ability to control horses is apparently unrivaled.

The other thing that the lads said is that there hasn't been as brave a jockey(or crazy) as McCoy.

From a diet perspective, my uncle was in the car with McCoy when he was in his early 20's driving down to  game somewhere (Croke Park ) and they handed out the old Tayto's. McCoy opened the bag, licked the flavor of the chip, and through the chip out the window. Outside of the obvious littering habit, it show's you the level of discipline these guys have. Plus McCoy is talk for a jockey, so he probably takes it further that the other "wee jockey's)

orangeman

The discipline AP has with regard to his diet is frightening.

His ability is unrivalled.

He has taken the commitment to his sport to a new level.