The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Get it off your chests here, lads.  Hate F1?  Baseball?  Cricket?  Let it all hang out.

Seriously though, why the hatred?  I have no particular interest in the likes of Cricket but I wouldn't say I "hate" it.  And I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as "boring."  I wouldn't dismiss any popular sport as "boring."  In my experience, people who disparage a sport are also the same people who know the least about it.  Sports like cricket have a huge following, so they clearly have something that appeals to some people.  GAA people sometimes disparage soccer as being "slow" and "boring," but all you soccer fans know that such people are missing the point, aren't they?  Soccer is low scoring and that's part of the appeal. It's suspenseful.  It's just as exciting as hurling but it's just a different type of excitement.

It's possible to find excitement in just about any sport if you bother your head to know what's going on.

haveaharp

Agree with lots of that except the cricket bit. "I don't like cricket - I hate it", any game that can go on for 5 days, involve stops for sandwiches or a skiff of rain and still end in a draw is no game at all. I appreciate some people like it and good luck to them. You are right also in saying its those that don't know a sport that disparage it. The point is I don't want to know.
Others I cant really have - tennis, indoor bowls (seriously why is this ever televised), rugby league, American football, baseball, lots of Olympic sports like sailing, the horsey bits with toffs dressage and badminton or whatever its called.

I like soccer but how many good games are there in these so called super sunday clashes. Not many.

BennyCake

Can't stand Rugby or American Football. It's nothing to do with not knowing what's going on, it's that they both are stupid games.

I'm not interested in baseball, basketball or cricket, but at least I know what's going on.

Nally Stand

Soccer. More than any sport on God's green earth. Soccer. I'm convinced that people will one day suddenly wake up to just how SHITE it is in absolutely every possible way. I agree that it's a bit much for people to talk about all the sports they "hate". There are plenty of sports that I'd have no interest in (american football, tennis etc) and others that I properly dislike for reasons like haveaharp describes (cricket/curling etc), but my lack of interest in them prohibits me from getting excited enough to properly "hate" them. But but I really do HATE soccer and all the incessant shitetalk that surrounds it.

So just soccer. Oh, and dressage. I hate dressage.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

laoislad

Rugby,Tennis, Horse Racing and Ulster Football.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

Rugby and NFL are easy to read and most of the rules can be picked up quickly,

Sport i dislike the most, Cricket, like watching paint dry

muppet

Netball, Dressage and Synchronised Swimming.

What is the point of them? (Should that be: what are the points of them??).

See. Even Grammar would be a better sport.

Imagine: Roy for the Gold Medal....

Is it:

a) The FAI are bastions of professionalism.

or

b) The FAI is a bastion of professionalism.
MWWSI 2017

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

theticklemister

Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2013, 07:17:31 PM
Netball, Dressage and Synchronised Swimming.

What is the point of them? (Should that be: what are the points of them??).

See. Even Grammar would be a better sport.

Imagine: Roy for the Gold Medal....

Is it:

a) The FAI are bastions of professionalism.

or

b) The FAI is a bastion of professionalism.

We have a winner..........................................dressage!!

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Cycling. Drugs killed it.
Pro boxing and American football. Head injuries
I don't think the beefing up in rugby is progress either. It was probably a safer sport when it was amateur.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Orior

There isn't any sport that I hate.

Am I in a minority?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians