Donegal v Kildare NFL semi-final

Started by J70, April 08, 2007, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Should be a good game. The last time we met, in a 2001 qualifier in Newbridge, Devenney ran Kildare ragged, but we still lost by a point, 1-17 to 1-16, in an incredibly open and entertaining game. Dermot Early and Martin Lynch had great games for Kildare that day, plus it was the final game for Tony Boyle and Noel Hegarty.

Don't know too much about Kildare at the moment, other than we better mind the number of frees and opportunities given to John Doyle! Karl Lacey may get that task.

We struggled against Fermanagh today until Cassidy, Toye, Monaghan, Dunnion and McMenamin were introduced around half-time, but all those should start next week, along with Devenney, Paddy Campbell, Ciaran Bonner, and injury permitting, Colm McFadden and Neil Gallagher. Rory Kavanagh and Roper are there too, although Michael Hegarty may be hard to shift after the last two games!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

All in all not a bad result today, given the changes and the fact that Fermanagh were playing for their pride!

Kildare in the semi's should be a good match, but one which I think Donegal should win. Not a bad draw at all.  :)
Tbc....

aodhruadh

Any idea what the order of matches is for next Sunday ?

Good to be back in Croke Park - speaking of which, when was the last time we won a game there...?
Having a bit of a blank, but all I can think of are defeats to Cork, Armagh, Armagh again, Armagh yet again, Dublin...

What team would you start next weekend if all fit?

Theres a long held belief that  Donegals style of football would be far more successful in other provinces. Heres the chance to prove it - we have an average enough team from Leinster followed by a potential final against a team from the West. Lets hope the boys can lift some silverware.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Last victory I can remember in Croker was "92"!  :-\
Tbc....

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 09, 2007, 11:18:26 AM
Last victory I can remember in Croker was "92"!  :-\

Did Donegal not beat Tipp in a qualifier in 03 in Croker?

If memory serves me right it was the game before the classic Armagh v Dublin clash.

Onlooker

Smokin Joe is right Donegal beat Tipperary in the 3rd Round of the qualifiers and Armagh beat Dublin in the second game that day.  both Armagh and Dublin had a player sent off.  first to go was Paddy McKeever (I think) and then Stephen Cluxton.  They were 2 excellent games that day, with the atmosphere of a Dublin/Armagh game adding greatly to the Donegal/Tipp match.

J70

I think the last win was the Tipp game alright. The last non-defeat was the first Galway game the same season.

Fishead_Sam

O Yea I remember that when Galway played Donegal, Roscommon played Kerry in that game where Roscommon scored something like 4 million goals and still lost. I remember thats all Roscommon went for, they might have actually scarred Kerry if the few goals they missed where taken points instead. Curran was as mad as a hatter as usual in goal as usual, running the with of the Canal/Davin while the play up the other end drumming up the support from all the Rossies behind the goals a long with all the Galway & Donelgal and neutrals (including this Mayoman) Went to watch those games in Croker esp. yet I cannot remember why I missed the Galway V Donegal replay in my hometown Castlebar.

aodhruadh

The Irish Times today suggests the GAA never confirmed the games this weekend will be in Croker at all.

or maybe theyve just had a rethink now that Galway are due to play Mayo.?

Fishead_Sam

Mayo & Kildare always bring massive support, Donegal will bring a good crowd because of their change of fortunes and the fact there should be some confidence in Tir Chonnail, of course the normally low numbers of Galway football will be swelled by the thought of getting one over Mayo in Croker, I reckon they could get 55,000 if they pomote it like they do when Dublin plays, a few adds to get people excited, they never seem to bother when Dubs not involved.

Rossfan

These games must be in Croke Park alright as they are offering tickets for sale on www.gaa.ie for them in Croke Pk.
Believe it or not they are offering tickets for "NFL play off" games on Sat evening 21st April also. I beleieve they intend playing the Div 2 Semis that evening unless 2a has playoffs.
Does this mean that if there are playoffs in Div 2a - they will be played in Croker?
Depending on next weeks results 4 teams could end up on 8 points - there would be a need for two rounds of playoffs !!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fishead_Sam

Also there is an intriging Galway or Mayo could be in a Final and the Rossies there on the same day, that would be great, hope we get to a Final and Roscommon are playing on the same day, great support for each other all last year, real bond developed between the loyal followers of both

Rossfan

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 09, 2007, 09:11:41 PM
, hope we get to a Final and Roscommon are playing on the same day, great support for each other all last year, real bond developed between the loyal followers of both

Aye indeed Fish but a lot of us are still a biteen embrrassed about it  :-[ ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MrC

We've a poor record against Kildare, but hopefully we can put that right this weekend and put ourselves into a position to bring some silverware back to the county at last.

McIver will bring out the heavy artilary again this week with the likes of Devenney, Cass, Dunnion, Colm Anthony and Neil Gallagher returning to the starting lineup, if fit of course.

What side would the rest of the Donegal lads here go with? I think Michael Hegarty has certainly put himself into contention while Thomas Donoghue, Eamon McGee and Frank McGlynn will also be knocking on the door. Think myself it will be: Durcan; N McGee, Campbell, Lacey, Dunnion, Monaghan, E McGee; Gallagher, Cass; Kavanagh, Hegarty, Toye; Bonner, Devenney, McFadden.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

J70

Not much wrong with that line-up at all Mr C.

What's good about this season is that a number of those players could be replaced without weakening the side much, if at all. The likes of McGlynn, Donoghue, McConigley, Bradley and Roper would all do a good job. Sweeney, Doherty, McMenamin and Leon Thompson are all good options to have if Devenney and/or McFadden are having bad days.