Mayo v Galway NFL Semi-Final

Started by Redgreenery, April 08, 2007, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

in reference to Andy Moran I do believe I said "he's playing well this year" which he is, but sure we'll see how he does the next day.

Tubberman

Oh the rivalry has started properly now, and it's still only April  :D
Galway Sham, we usually keep the more blunt appraisals of players/teams until the height of summer, but we'll see if your opinions on Heaney, Higgins and Moran are correct on Sunday.  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

MaroonAndWhite

A fella that can keep tabs on PJ as well as Heaney cant be a bad footballer! God bless the dry sod and the fast ball!!!! Nothing like it to get the competitive juices flowing!!!

venter

QuoteI know about Andy Moran, when ever I seen him play, with the exception of the match against Dublin last year, he has been pure shite.

I'd rate Andy as one of Mayo's best prospects. He covers ground, he's very strong and has a fair bit of Skill. He has started to kick a few James Horan Style long range points as well this year.

On D Burke:
QuoteHes seen off better than Mortimer

Sure didn't he mark Mortimer in last years connaught final and the Mort ended up "winning the game on his own" ;)

belleaqua

On D Burke:
QuoteHes seen off better than Mortimer

Sure didn't he mark Mortimer in last years connaught final and the Mort ended up "winning the game on his own" ;)
[/quote]

Something tells me that comment will be in a Galway dressing room in May rather than Sunday! ;)

DJGaliv

I think it will be a pretty interesting game. I don't think Galway will win, but I can see a lot of weakness in Mayo's lineup. Their central spine looks pretty inexperienced, although it will be a good learning tool for JO'M. With Kilcullen up against Joyce, Billy Joe at centre back, Heaney and Harte in the middle, and Ger Brady in at 14. These are vital positions, and I think Mayo just don't look as settled or as strong as they usually do here. The Padden experiment, at centre back doesn't look like lasting into May.

It's a strange turn around, with Galway now having the better backs, and Mayo probably have the better forwards.
Galway's defence is motoring along very well, however I'd far rather see Blake in at centre back than Coyne. I think Blake is one of Galway's best players. He's brought a huge amount of solidity to the Galway defence. Perhaps Coyne could be slotted in at no.7.
Our midfield, as usual, is a bit worrying, and I'd like to see Geraghty start alongside Bergin there.

As for our forwards, we seem to have no tactic whatsoever. Just belt the ball into Joyce and hope that him and Michael can come up with something. We need them to start playing as a unit, and not relying on their natural footballing ability. Our half forward line is a bit of a joke. Bane should be out where Nicky is. Nicky just can't tackle. Ja and Savage are a long way from their best. It's a pity Paul Clancy isn't around, or even Matty Clancy. I think that if we can find a partner for Bergin in midfield, and a few half forwards then there'll be a tight game in Salthill, with us to win by 4 points.

On Sunday though, I think that Mayo, wanting to exorcise a few Croke Park demons, will be dead up for this one. Good news for Galway is we'll learn a lot more in a defeat against Mayo, than if we beat them.
Mayo in extra time!

Fishead_Sam

Lads have to say 2 Mayo-Galway games in 6 weeks life don't get much better.

Farrandeelin

It took a Mayo game to get the Galway boys out of their winter hibernation! ;) Anyway, I think it will be a tight game. I wouldn't read much into the outcome of this game but it'd be nice to beat Galway twice in the space of a few weeks. The last time Galway fans were this pessimistic was in the Connacht final of 2005 and we all know what happened that time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Redgreenery

Must say that I don't think it'll be the ideal situation for Mayo anyways facing Galway before May 20th as probably both teams would be studying each other and some tacticts for both sides would be revealed to the other team.

Secondly on Andy Moran, he has really come on in the last few games and has really impressed me and has played very well in any position JOM has put him in.

Mayo4Sam

Galway Sham, rookie mistake bigging ur team up before the match, i'm off to the bookies to bet on a record defeat.

In seriousness i'd expect this to be a close one, a lot closer than i'd imagine may to be

The rating of mayo's backs seems to be very down on them, just because a player is inexperienced doesn't make him immediately worse than a galway back line which hasnt exactly set the world on fire the last 3-4 years

Sunday will tell a lot abot kilcullen but i think JOM will use it to improve him rather than replace him, ditto for BJP

Will be disappointed if howley doesnt get a run on sunday after his best performance in a mayo jersey last sunday
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

belleaqua

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 14, 2007, 12:01:23 AM
The rating of mayo's backs seems to be very down on them, just because a player is inexperienced doesn't make him immediately worse than a galway back line which hasnt exactly set the world on fire the last 3-4 years

Fair point but it does until they prove otherwise. That Galway backline has been under alot more pressure than Mayo's.

The one time it came under sustained pressure it crumbled. Im not having a dig here just pointing this out.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 14, 2007, 12:01:23 AM
Galway Sham, rookie mistake bigging ur team up before the match, i'm off to the bookies to bet on a record defeat.

In seriousness i'd expect this to be a close one, a lot closer than i'd imagine may to be

Sunday will tell a lot abot kilcullen but i think JOM will use it to improve him rather than replace him, ditto for BJP

Will be disappointed if howley doesnt get a run on sunday after his best performance in a mayo jersey last sunday

Certainly woldnt consider the Mayo back line to be as poor as some on here have commented but Padden is a major weakness at 6......if bergin runs direct at him.....lets face it,Ja hasnt the legs anymore.....if we win some midfield ball for a change on Sunday, he'll be in trouble. Not to mention the likes of Sean Kavanagh, Whelan, Brosnan et al later in the summer. Galway know the value of a good number six after losing Tomas Mannion.....its took 5 years to find a good replacement in Blake.
And if the Galway back line have not set the world alight its cos midfield were so poor since big Walsh left that the ball generally is raining down on them non stop......would happen to any backline yet they havent shipped any massive scorelines outta memory

An Fhairche Abu

QuoteIt took a Mayo game to get the Galway boys out of their winter hibernation!

You'd be in a long hibernation if Westmeath beat ye at home last summer too  :-[.

ildanach

lads i dont think this mayo back unit is as week as some people are making out. We conceeded an average of 0-12 against the teams from a stronger division than the average 0-11 that galway conceeded in 1B. So there is much of a muchness. BJP at centre back has not been shown up yet and the only game IMHO that kilcullen has been poor was donegal.
At the minute confidence is high in mayo 6 wins out of 7 in the league, good comebacks against cork,dublin and beating tyrone in there own backyard. All these things will stand to mayo, add to that the self belief that is there considering the injuries that we have. I have a good feeling about this team at the minute. I think we will win by maybe 4 points on sunday
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Mayo4Sam

I think ur wrong on BJP MAW, for my money he seems to be a good reader of the game and has that great knack every CHB needs of being in the right spot at the right time, Something i also think Howley happens to possess.
If you look at the best CHB for the last 10 years they all had this
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me