How we watch "tv"

Started by heganboy, October 28, 2013, 02:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

Quote from: BenDover on October 29, 2013, 11:38:55 AM
Abble your next question there should have been - does anyone else use XBMC and know of an add-on where I can watch Love/Hate from season 1?

correct
:)

parttimeexile

Quote from: Abble on October 29, 2013, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 29, 2013, 09:52:32 AM
Quote from: heganboy on October 29, 2013, 01:30:44 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 28, 2013, 11:03:02 PM.  I had cable for a while in England and wasted god knows how many hours in front of that thing, I felt obliged to watch it and get my money's worth.  It's a bit annoying that I have a hard time watching live sports though.  I miss being able to watch an F1 Grand Prix, for example, and not even my VPN seems able to help me out there.

I'll watch The Daily Show, a bit of Colbert, and Real Time with Bill Maher. All of that you can get directly through the web (the latter by illicit means).

Couldn't possibly comment but if you have flash, a good pop up and ad blockers on your browser apparently coolsport.tv allows you to get virtually anything including all sky sports and all theF1 including qualifying (allegedly) but for the record I have never checked....

Alternatively also on nbc sports channel after the soccer tape delayed on Sunday morning...

I couldn't possibly comment either but have heard from a reliable source who uses it regularly that it's very good and will even show PPV events. This source acknowledges that whilst the stream isn't in HD, it's generally decent enough that you could connect a laptop up to a TV and watch it on a bigger screen.

gallsman, just on that one, i can connect my laptop up to tv for largescreen viewing pleasure, but my sound not so pleasurable coming just from laptop. i connect a VGA cable from laptop to tv, do i need something else for sound also to come from tv ?

also i'm now with those who like to watch a show from start to finish and i think now long gone are the days of waiting around for a week on next episode...currently worked my way thru 4 series of breaking bad in the past 3 weeks via XBMCHUB. this can be on laptop, mobile phone or tv digital receiver box plugin

Hi I actually did this myself this week (your TV needs to have HDMI port for this to work). All you need to do is buy a VGA to HDMI convertor, (£40 approx) Connect VGA from Laptop to convertor. Then connect sound lead from laptop to convertor (generally 3.5mm sound jack cable but better to check). Last lead is HDMI from convertor to TV. Switch Input on tv from Aerial to HDMI port you used on TV and hey presto great picture and TV gives the sound also.

armaghniac

QuoteAll you need to do is buy a VGA to HDMI convertor, (£40 approx) Connect VGA from Laptop to convertor.

Most modern laptops have a HDMI connection. If you have one older than that I would hestitate to spend £40 on a adapter, better to put it towards a new laptop.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

parttimeexile

Quote from: armaghniac on October 29, 2013, 12:06:26 PM
QuoteAll you need to do is buy a VGA to HDMI convertor, (£40 approx) Connect VGA from Laptop to convertor.

Most modern laptops have a HDMI connection. If you have one older than that I would hestitate to spend £40 on a adapter, better to put it towards a new laptop.

My laptop only about 3 years old and is perfect, just doesnt have HDMI connection. Pity to just buy a new laptop for the sake of a HDMI connection. Anyway just giving a solution to the guys question.