Rugby league World Cup - Is this 2 horse race a waste of time?

Started by Wildweasel74, October 26, 2013, 03:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonah

Sorry to hijack but seeing as you're talking cricket..I saw an advert on Sky this morning for The Ashes in November.  I thought that was on during the summer just gone?

gallsman

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 01:08:06 PM
Sorry to hijack but seeing as you're talking cricket..I saw an advert on Sky this morning for The Ashes in November.  I thought that was on during the summer just gone?

Ha - I was asking about this only yesterday. Was told that the Aussies are due to host the next World Cup at a time when the Ashes would have been scheduled to be played there, so they're moving the schedule around. Obviously the commercial solution is fit two in quickly rather than cancel one and have an extra long gap between series. Think of how they played the African Cup of Nations twice in just over a year recently.

Likely to be a very damp squib indeed considering how muck the Aussies are at the minute.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2013, 01:19:29 PM

Ha - I was asking about this only yesterday. Was told that the Aussies are due to host the next World Cup at a time when the Ashes would have been scheduled to be played there, so they're moving the schedule around. Obviously the commercial solution is fit two in quickly rather than cancel one and have an extra long gap between series. Think of how they played the African Cup of Nations twice in just over a year recently.
Likely to be a very damp squib indeed considering how muck the Aussies are at the minute.

Apologies on hijacking this thread but the Africa Cup of Nations, how often is it played?? Seems like every year or two.

lynchbhoy

if you think Rugby league is rubbish now, you should have watched it in the late 70's early 80's before they changed it about a bit. was chronic.
IMO Rugby league is a fantastic game to watch. but only when the top three teams play it. it has suffered as a lot of players go to rugby union due to better pay. but I remember a gang of us Irish lads in london all looking forward to the GB v Australia series ech saturday (or every second saturday ) in the winter of 1990 - rushing home from a half day at the respective building site, picking up kebab and chips on the way home to cheer for big Mal Menninga and his aussies just about beat the GB team 2-1 in test series.
brilliant games and brilliant play. Way more exciting than anything Ive seen in rugby union.

I thinkthe first rugby league workld cup, the 'Irish team' full of st helens, leeds and top flight english RL clubs lads - gave the english team a tight enough game . the score might not have reflected it, but I remember that it wasnt a tanking like the other night. McDermott and a few other top rated players played for us.

Cricket is an ok game to watch, 20 20 is best.

love American football. too. Its just motor racing and horses that I dont believe are proper sports!

Walter Cronc

Well this is a first, finding myself agreeing with LB (to an extent).

League has suffered poorly over the last 5-10 years due to the money in Union but I used to love watching Super League on a Friday night and State of Origin (NSW v QL) games.

Some of the most gifted rugby players in the last 20 years have indeed been league players. From Martin Offiah, Jason Robinson, Sean Long for GB to Darren Lockyer and Andrew John for the Aussies they were very exciting.

Modern day Union is played very much along the lines of league and not just defensive set ups, but attacking strategies and off loading in the tackle.

BennyCake

For all the cricket haters - when the GAA was being formed, cricket was one of the games considered to be included in the association. If I'm not mistaken, it was only narrowly defeated. So the lot of us could easily have been stopping to have lunch during our games.

Essentially the GAA was formed to get the Irish people playing Irish sports, and away from foreign games such as soccer, cricket and rugby. Yet, cricket was considered. That has always confused me, so it has.

muppet

Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2013, 03:06:47 PM
For all the cricket haters - when the GAA was being formed, cricket was one of the games considered to be included in the association. If I'm not mistaken, it was only narrowly defeated. So the lot of us could easily have been stopping to have lunch during our games.

Essentially the GAA was formed to get the Irish people playing Irish sports, and away from foreign games such as soccer, cricket and rugby. Yet, cricket was considered. That has always confused me, so it has.

Correct. Michael Cusack was a big fan and Kilkenny famously had nearly 50 Cricket Teams.

Imagine, we could have had Tommy Walsh playing at silly mid off and Davy Fitz at backward square leg.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Thought it was down to the fact that the English were due to host it last summer but it was postponed for a year because of the Olympics

gallsman

Quote from: stephenite on November 05, 2013, 10:32:53 AM

Thought it was down to the fact that the English were due to host it last summer but it was postponed for a year because of the Olympics

Nope, it would be in England during the summer every four years - '05, '09, '13.

Wildweasel74

I feel if half them English lads weren't playing rugby league they be in jail, come across very loutish, never listen to the ref instructions, always ready for a fight,and never seen as many chav tattoos outside a episode of prison break. Calling Rugby League a working mans game but there some difference in a appearance to their rugby unions cousin (the snobs of the 2 parties)

Wildweasel74

ps watching new zealand hammer these boys will put a smile on my face next sat

Aerlik

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 04, 2013, 02:38:54 PM
From Martin Offiah,

I was a regular at Central Park, Wigan from 1987 to 1995 and I have to ask, man are you serious?  Offiah was very quick and give him a clear run at the goal and he would inevitably score.  But he was a shite tackler.  When he left Widnes to join Wigan there was always some crack when Widnes came to town cos he was usually belted.

Re. the Ashes, the series has been brought forward by a year as the 2015 World Cup would otherwise clash/start shortly thereafter and it was felt that the English wouldn't get a fair run at the World cup.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Wildweasel74

Seen the greatest pass ever in the new Zealand V England Game the game today, it be shown on TV rugby league for years to come, On the game its self, England come down in style, had the game won only for it cruelly be took away at the end. just put a smile to my face !!!

rodney trotter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 23, 2013, 05:15:01 PM
Seen the greatest pass ever in the new Zealand V England Game the game today, it be shown on TV rugby league for years to come, On the game its self, England come down in style, had the game won only for it cruelly be took away at the end. just put a smile to my face !!!

Quality http://t.co/uWZbdxZiEY

gerrykeegan

Quote from: hardstation on November 23, 2013, 10:01:25 PM
I caught the last 2 minutes of that game and it was feckin brilliant.
I ended up watching most of the second half. It was not bad at all. The best part was the two boys counting down the number of tackles in the last two minutes. They had it won, there wasn't enough time to lose it. One high tackle later and they were fucked. Loved it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)