Author Topic: Depression  (Read 80014 times)

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #360 on: March 02, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
great post paddy john, fair play chap

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 02, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Very honest and brave post PJ.

ThroughTheLaces

• Thatchin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 02, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
+1

Thanks for that, every piece I read helps too. Can relate to a lot of it.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 02, 2018, 01:37:07 PM »
Chris kerr the antrim keeper wrote a very powerful and detailed article on his struggle with depression.

https://t.co/weEQ0ehblk?amp=1

It might be somewhat different for some people as this seemed to come from a trigger and some people don't have that but it is a very honest and powerful article and well worth reading.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 03, 2018, 03:20:43 AM »
Great post paddyjohn

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
just thought I would bump this thread up again. Exam season is upon us and kids all over are stressing about results. Just had a 4th year (uni) student end his life yesterday. So please talk to your kids, give them an extra hug, life is precious.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 04, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
just thought I would bump this thread up again. Exam season is upon us and kids all over are stressing about results. Just had a 4th year (uni) student end his life yesterday. So please talk to your kids, give them an extra hug, life is precious.

Flip sorry to hear that.

I know we as parents want the best for our kids and maybe push too hard and overemphasize education to a detrimental level.
It's hard to get it right.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 04, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »
I lost my best friend to suicide on the 19th March 2001 and buried my father on New Years Day 2002. Inside 9 months I went from a young cocky 20 year old to being complete mess. Depression was something that never entered my head, in my head I was mourning, it was normal. Then bang on Paddys day 2002, I didn't know but a few of my friends had arranged to come lift me and we were for the local to watch the club finals, they wanted to suprise me so I couldn't back out, as I took my first step out of the house, I froze, I couldn't do it. I made an excuse and went back to bed, cold sweats started and I cried into my pillow, again I told myself that I was mourning. One of my mates had rung a girl who I had been seeing before my fathers passing, he told her what had happened and she sent me a text out of the blue a few days later about having a chat, she was a trainee nurse who had spotted the signs after my best mate died the previous year. I met her for a chat a few days later, she told me what she had thought and how my behaviour had changed throughout 2001 and thats why our relationship had ended in her opinion. She accompanied me to see a doctor who diagnosed me with depression. I was scared and to be honest I was embarrassed but at the same time I felt like my world had changed, I could think clear again, I could look people in the eye without fear of bursting into tears when they asked about me or my family. I spoke to my family and told them what had happened and how I had been feeling, they knew what was happening and only then did it strike me that I was never alone, everywhere I went there was one of them with me, they were scared that I was going to do the same as my best mate but didn't want to say it straight out. Thankfully after a few months of spilling my thoughts out to the doctor, I had got myself sorted and could live again. There has been dark days since but I'm a better place to deal with them.   

Sorry for the long post but even though its been 16 years I still feel like pressure is being released with every letter I type in this post. I told my story to a youth team within my club recently and one of the young lads came to me after and asked if he could speak to me, he was going through the same as he buried his Dad last September. The manager is good friend of mine and asked if I'd speak to them group about mental health and how its ok not to be ok. The lads mother rung me a few weeks ago to thank me for the effort I've put in with him. I'm not saying that I'm an expert or looking praise but if I can help one person then I've achieved something.

Have a word with somebody folks, no matter how trivial you think it is, you need to talk.

I can absolutely relate.

About eight years ago friend once organized a singles meetup dinner thing in a nearby city, mainly for my benefit because she knew I wasn't well and needed a bit of company in my life. I was nervous but drove there anyway. When I got to the restaurant there were about ten other fellas and eleven women, all single and ready to mingle. I felt the anxiety building. They were making the seating arrangements at a big long table and I just felt a wave of terror wash over me. I went to the restroom and hid for a while, then came back out and made my apologies to my friend, saying "I see you're a bit short of seats, I don't mind leaving." I got back in my car and cried on my way home, then texted my friend saying "I'm really sorry. I just can't do this right now."

I felt awful because she'd gone to a lot of trouble, but she was very understanding. It's always okay to talk about it.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 08, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
An 11 year old boy committed suicide in Kildare yesterday. My heart goes out to his parents, mental health is affecting people younger and younger every year.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 08, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »
Jesus.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 08, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
It's heartbreaking AZ.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 08, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
terrible news. I've lost a dear friend to suicide and it's a rough one to wrap your head around. At 11 years old its even worse (not that you can really rank a loss).

I do worry about tv shows like 13 reasons why (now on it's second season with a third in the works) that can glamorize suicide. I know there's never one straightforward answer as to why in every case - but I am concerned by shows like that.

Eamonn, thank you for sharing your story! Looking at 13 reasons why from your perspective does it help or could you see it pulling you further down in to your depression?

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
Kate Spade and now Anthony Bourdain....
There's a chapter in freakenomics about suicide spiking when high profile celebrities take their own lives. Tragic stuff
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 12, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »
terrible news. I've lost a dear friend to suicide and it's a rough one to wrap your head around. At 11 years old its even worse (not that you can really rank a loss).

I do worry about tv shows like 13 reasons why (now on it's second season with a third in the works) that can glamorize suicide. I know there's never one straightforward answer as to why in every case - but I am concerned by shows like that.

Eamonn, thank you for sharing your story! Looking at 13 reasons why from your perspective does it help or could you see it pulling you further down in to your depression?

I'm not familiar with that show, Ice. What's it about?

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 12, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KhvG2dpvI

Young girl takes her own life and makes 13 tapes to the 13 people who contributed to her death.