Author Topic: Depression  (Read 79918 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »
All posts appreciated.

My worry is, if a person has bipolar, would they necessarily know they had something wrong with them? And if nobody around them sees nothing out of the ordinary with them (maybe because they don't know the signs), then how will they ever be diagnosed with bipolar?

I seen a clip of Stephen Fry, and he said his view of normality is different to people without bipolar. So if he sees nothing wrong with his behaviour, how does he know he's behaving abnormally?
They might feel strange or have something happen that would lead them to  the doctor who would ask them questions and identify the condition.
Lookit

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »
All posts appreciated.

My worry is, if a person has bipolar, would they necessarily know they had something wrong with them? And if nobody around them sees nothing out of the ordinary with them (maybe because they don't know the signs), then how will they ever be diagnosed with bipolar?

I seen a clip of Stephen Fry, and he said his view of normality is different to people without bipolar. So if he sees nothing wrong with his behaviour, how does he know he's behaving abnormally?
He might not be aware he's behaving abnormally at the time ,but later on he would.
There's no one bipolar situation.
And a lay person, friend or family would become aware that something serious is up, but not necessarily be aware enough to fit the various pieces of dysfunction into a bipolar picture. Regular extreme symptoms , can be  yelling and  screaming about how somebody has treated you or your partner, and it's totally out of control and totally out of proportion.  So yes during the action, the bipolar person would not be aware what they are doing is "abnormal", but later on they would, at least to some extent and I don't think it would be a big shift for them to get (or be encouraged to get) psychiatric help, unless they were paranoid as well, paranoid to the extent where they were doing some delusions.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:53:44 PM by Main Street »

larryin89

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:20 PM »
Dealt with depression on my own for a long time , lately i have felt myself going into a very dark place and it scares me . I can shake it off and talk myself around to thinking that things will get better but then I go back into this fuckin weird zone like asking myself  , what's the point there's nothing to be gained by carrying on through life like this , this only lasts for a brief period would end when I finish crying and wallowing in self pity by me sort of kicking myself up the hole and telling myself to cop on to f**k.  It's hard to explain and I probably shouldn't of typed in here but sure what harm can it do really .
Not a sheep stole in Castlebar since 1986.

eddie d

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »
Dealt with depression on my own for a long time , lately i have felt myself going into a very dark place and it scares me . I can shake it off and talk myself around to thinking that things will get better but then I go back into this fuckin weird zone like asking myself  , what's the point there's nothing to be gained by carrying on through life like this , this only lasts for a brief period would end when I finish crying and wallowing in self pity by me sort of kicking myself up the hole and telling myself to cop on to f**k.  It's hard to explain and I probably shouldn't of typed in here but sure what harm can it do really .

I don't know how helpful I can be but I hope you feel somewhat better that you did type this up. That by coming on and sharing has lifted some of the pain or burden that you may experience.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
Larry, with all due respect to the lads here, and recognising the courage it takes to type something like that, I think you just should go and have a chat with someone you know and trust. Parent, sibling, partner etc. or better again contact someone that might be able to really help you. Pieta House do a brilliant job. Best of luck to you Larry, and I hope typing it helped a little, but I'm serious about going to talk to someone properly.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
Larry, with all due respect to the lads here, and recognising the courage it takes to type something like that, I think you just should go and have a chat with someone you know and trust. Parent, sibling, partner etc. or better again contact someone that might be able to really help you. Pieta House do a brilliant job. Best of luck to you Larry, and I hope typing it helped a little, but I'm serious about going to talk to someone properly.

Agreed. It takes courage to post what you did, but I think AZ is right.

Best of luck with it. And remember, there is no way I will be missing if we finally land Sam!
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43:28 AM »
Dealt with depression on my own for a long time , lately i have felt myself going into a very dark place and it scares me . I can shake it off and talk myself around to thinking that things will get better but then I go back into this fuckin weird zone like asking myself  , what's the point there's nothing to be gained by carrying on through life like this , this only lasts for a brief period would end when I finish crying and wallowing in self pity by me sort of kicking myself up the hole and telling myself to cop on to f**k.  It's hard to explain and I probably shouldn't of typed in here but sure what harm can it do really
It's the depression thread and this is exactly the appropriate place for an off the cuff post like yours.
When you can cry, then that's the best thing you can do to release buried emotions.  There's nothing on the planet that works better, it's the body's  own mechanism to rid itself of emotions that have been stored. Sometimes we are reluctant to go to that place where the pain is, because that's where it really hurts. Children don't have that issue, they just let it rip but then they go to school and learn how not to.

The Bearded One

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2015, 11:57:32 PM »
With the tragic death of the young lad in Clonoe I just thought it appropriate to bump this thread up to the top again. There's always an ear ready to listen if you have a problem, no matter how small or big you think it is.
It is what it is. Presumably.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2015, 03:42:02 AM »
Dealt with depression on my own for a long time , lately i have felt myself going into a very dark place and it scares me . I can shake it off and talk myself around to thinking that things will get better but then I go back into this fuckin weird zone like asking myself  , what's the point there's nothing to be gained by carrying on through life like this , this only lasts for a brief period would end when I finish crying and wallowing in self pity by me sort of kicking myself up the hole and telling myself to cop on to f**k.  It's hard to explain and I probably shouldn't of typed in here but sure what harm can it do really
It's the depression thread and this is exactly the appropriate place for an off the cuff post like yours.
When you can cry, then that's the best thing you can do to release buried emotions.  There's nothing on the planet that works better, it's the body's  own mechanism to rid itself of emotions that have been stored. Sometimes we are reluctant to go to that place where the pain is, because that's where it really hurts. Children don't have that issue, they just let it rip but then they go to school and learn how not to.

Very good post, but is this last bit correct?

Is that what school teaches about depression?
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2015, 06:45:13 AM »

Very good post, but is this last bit correct?

Is that what school teaches about depression?

I think he was wasn't saying that school teaches that as such, more that the social constraints associated with being in a group that you encounter when going to school.

Very good thread this actually and if any posters feel that this is a place they can come and share their feelings do it. Its obviously not as good as talking face to face or even anonymously on the phone to the Samaritans or whoever but its a quick and easy anonymous outlet and you'll be guaranteed nothing but support.

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
Bumping this up again due to the time of year.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
Bumping this up again due to the time of year.

Yeah. Important to be occupied with something positive this time of year.

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
Good programme on Rte 2 now about depression and using exercise to combat it.
Joe Mcdonagh Champions 2019

Mayo4Sam

• John Says Keep The Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
Ironmind - very good programme and that girl who's sister committed suicide was very brave, a very hard thing to do never mind doing it on camera, fair play to her
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me