Author Topic: Depression  (Read 76269 times)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #465 on: June 10, 2019, 03:45:02 PM »
Giving this a bump folks. The demons have hit with a big bang over the last 5 weeks. Sudden death of my mother has left me reeling.

My world is in absolute bits but I'll get there.

JohnDenver

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 10, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
Giving this a bump folks. The demons have hit with a big bang over the last 5 weeks. Sudden death of my mother has left me reeling.

Sorry for your loss, PJ. There's no timeframe on these types of things as you well know, but the fact you have said and you know what i've highlighted in bold is a massive thing.

Things will get better, so just stick in there and take it one step at a time and do whatever, or speak to whoever that will you get through these dark days.

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 10, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »

Sorry for your loss. There’s no easy fix coping with sudden death of a loved one. In my own experiences I found comfort in being surrounded by family and talking openly about my feelings. My kids gave me great comfort at the time as they depended on me. Grief is a process and it takes time.....but keep talking and as you say you will get there.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2019, 07:58:40 AM »
Another bump folks. Keep talking and don’t be scared to talk.

No problem is to big that can’t be fixed.

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 06, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Another bump folks. Keep talking and don’t be scared to talk.

No problem is to big that can’t be fixed.

I'd echo that 100%. Sorry for your loss PJ. Feeling low after something like that is to be expected and don't beat yourself up over it.
Keep talking and keep the head up.

Mrs Tbrick18 had some serious issues a few years back with post-natal depression. Really in the depths of despair, resulting in a prolonged hospital stay getting some quite extreme treatment. She had suicidal thoughts and had come close on a number of occasions, and I'll be honest, it affected my state of health too. I couldn't see her ever coming out of it.

However, its 10 years roughly now since then and she has not only survived but is no longer even on medication.
It has left its scars on the both of us, but if she can come through what she came through then it should give hope to anyone struggling on here that better days are ahead. Just persevere and exist until the cloud eventually slowly lifts.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 26, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
Terrible events in the Holylands this week.

Have a word folks..

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 21, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
I heard over the weekend that an old school friend died by suicide. We knew each other for years but haven’t had much contact since we left school. The tragedy of this is this is the third member of the same family to do this. His brother and mother died the same way, his brother the week my own mum died by suicide this time 7 years ago.  This time of the year is terrible for people who have any mental health issues. I have struggled myself and it’s hard,  football saved my sanity for many years. Whatever is your ‘fix’ make sure you do it. Don’t let it build, find your people, find your solace. I know what and where my people are and my solace is and it keeps me safe.

Also if you know anyone who may be isolated, lonely or maybe you think they need a friend just call in with a packet of biscuits and ask ‘how’s things?’  Don’t let people be alone.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 21, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »
I heard over the weekend that an old school friend died by suicide. We knew each other for years but haven’t had much contact since we left school. The tragedy of this is this is the third member of the same family to do this. His brother and mother died the same way, his brother the week my own mum died by suicide this time 7 years ago.  This time of the year is terrible for people who have any mental health issues. I have struggled myself and it’s hard,  football saved my sanity for many years. Whatever is your ‘fix’ make sure you do it. Don’t let it build, find your people, find your solace. I know what and where my people are and my solace is and it keeps me safe.

Also if you know anyone who may be isolated, lonely or maybe you think they need a friend just call in with a packet of biscuits and ask ‘how’s things?’  Don’t let people be alone.

Great words and advice BCB - keep busy at what you like.  Very important.

Don't let the dark clouds gather!

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 21, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »

Great words and advice BCB - keep busy at what you like.  Very important.

Don't let the dark clouds gather!

Great advice, there’s loads of people professional and otherwise keen to help , support and just be present👍

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 21, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
The clocks are going back soon, so this is a time to be extra vigilant. Keep an eye out for each other.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 22, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
The clocks are going back soon, so this is a time to be extra vigilant. Keep an eye out for each other.

Agree 100%. The dark nights are terrible.

My own mood has went to the depths again over the last few weeks. Really struggled somedays but I came through it.

talk talk talk....

Ambrose

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2019, 10:58:25 AM »

I think technology is a big contributor in all this, we may be more 'connected' than ever but you just can't beat a bit of human interaction, even if it's just to say hello, how are you doing? Something as small as that may be the only human contact some people have in their entire day. If you can go a step further and call round to see someone for a cup of tea and a chat, great.

I bumped into a mate in town last week, we grew up together, played football all our lives, played 5 a side into our 40s, even though he was a Man U fan he went to Istanbul with the rest of the crew. We're in regular contact, through Whatsapp, text message and the odd phone call, but we hadn't actually seen each other in 13 months.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Solo_run

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 22, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »

I think technology is a big contributor in all this, we may be more 'connected' than ever but you just can't beat a bit of human interaction, even if it's just to say hello, how are you doing? Something as small as that may be the only human contact some people have in their entire day. If you can go a step further and call round to see someone for a cup of tea and a chat, great.

I bumped into a mate in town last week, we grew up together, played football all our lives, played 5 a side into our 40s, even though he was a Man U fan he went to Istanbul with the rest of the crew. We're in regular contact, through Whatsapp, text message and the odd phone call, but we hadn't actually seen each other in 13 months.

Children being diagnosed with mental disorders has increased significantly over the last decade. I too can't help but feel it has something to do with technology. Yes it makes our lives easier but people are leading more sedentary lives and not using their cognitive abilities as much. If it hasn't already done so, our primary method of communication will be messaging not talking to people face to face or even on the phone.

Communication Is 55% body language, 7% use of words and 38% tone of voice. You aren't developing these skills when you are messaging. Furthermore, you are not developing the ability to manage/regulate your emotions properly because people aren't communicating face to face as much

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 22, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »

Listened to interview with Ray D’Arcy week’s back.

She knew what everyone was up to, liked this and that, told everyone where she was, was doing etc. But nobody actually had a conversation.

Deletes social media. Weeks later, shes obviously not updated on what jimmy had for his dinner or when Mary shit last. Met a friend on street and started asking her how she was, if she was on holidays, hows the kids, how’s your mother? Etc. The friend was so surprised that she seems genuinely interested in all those things, and that she was taking the time to ask. She said nobody asks those things anymore, they just like on FB or thumbs up.

Said a lot about today’s problems.

general

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 23, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
Lads I work in Construction as Safety Advisor - this week is construction safety week and its obviously a big push to talk about certain topics - mental health was on Monday - do no harm sharing some bits up here I think - any info is good info around it lads - its good to talk and its not hard to ask "is everything okay"

Its something I am passionate about myself lads - easy to feel like your in a rut due to work, home life, money etc. Some info for anyone working within the construction sector, and i suppose it can be used for anyone like

Significance of issue
  • 10 people die by suicide each week in Ireland, 8 of these people will be men.
    Men working in construction and production jobs accounted for nearly half of all male deaths by suicide in the period 2008 to 2012, a new report suggests. 
    An estimated 1,039 men from a construction or production background died by suicide from 2008 to 2012.

What makes construction workers vulnerable?
  • We work in roles that are isolating.
    Employment is dependent on economy.                                                                                             
    Spending large amounts of time away from family and friends. 
    Chronic pain caused by manual labour. 
    Stress due to time constraints, work environment & poor sleep.  
    Use of alcohol and mood-altering substances to cope. 
    Stigma of mental illness encourages secrecy & isolation.

Warning Signs 
  • Talking about self-harm.
    Self-criticism, self-hatred. 
    Withdrawing from others.
    No hope for the future.
    Decreased productivity. 
    Talking about being a burden. 
    Extreme mood swings. 
    Absenteeism.

Prevention tips
  • Don’t ignore it – Speak up if you’re worried. Show your concern; that you’ve noticed they are acting differently and inquire why they don’t seem like themselves.  
    Respond quickly if you believe your friend/co-worker is in crisis.

For more information
  • If you are feeling depressed call the Aware.ie depression helpline on 1890 303 302 (seven days a week, from 10am to 10pm).
    Call the Pieta House 24-hour suicide helpline on 1800 247 247. Or, alternatively, text HELP to 51444
    Free call Samaritans 116 123.