Author Topic: Depression  (Read 68702 times)

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
Lads, I cannot recommend being out in the fresh air enough. If your lucky enough to live beside a river, hills/mountains or woodland. Birds, trees plants & nosies all proven to be a great distraction from every day life. A public park if your inner city. Get yourself a rain coat and flask of tea and a few sarnies and head out. Trust me, its a world away.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »

First Xmas in a long time and I seriously have no motivation to do anything.  Majority of mates are all married and have kids, so the nights out will be few and far between.  Trying to keep active for e.g. gym but it's hard not to have periods where you get abit 'down' during this time of year.

have you looked into another hobby or interest to widen your spectrum of friends or people to mingle with?
More than yourself like this at the time of year.

Failing that speak to your mates - regardless of their circumstances they will make time for you

tintin25

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 20, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »

First Xmas in a long time and I seriously have no motivation to do anything.  Majority of mates are all married and have kids, so the nights out will be few and far between.  Trying to keep active for e.g. gym but it's hard not to have periods where you get abit 'down' during this time of year.

have you looked into another hobby or interest to widen your spectrum of friends or people to mingle with?

Failing that speak to your mates - regardless of their circumstances they will make time for you

To be honest, I do keep myself active and whilst I have decent network of friends it can get quite lonely at the weekends especially if you've nothing else on and everyone else is doing there own thing.  I guess at this point in my life (early/mid thirties) I thought I would have been married/have kids etc.  My twenties came and went in a flash and I probably enjoyed the single life too much.  Guess it just hits you abit when you see everyone else settled.  That's not to say I'm unhappy and appreciate there are people in relationships who are unhappy and it's purely a convenience thing, but this time of year just gets me thinking about what I shouldda/couldda done re previous relationships.  Life certainly doesn't go in the straight line you expect it to when you're younger!

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 20, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
Another thing that lifts your mood no end is pop on a stand up dvd. An hour of Billy Connolly would do you the power of good. Other comedians are available.

Anyone considered baking? Not much good at it but Iím sure a few scones, buns or apple tart is doable for most of us. Then pop your results round to family and friends. Itís a good excuse to call in, see people, arrange something for later etc. Plus, you can have a good laugh with folk when your results turn out disastrous!

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 20, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »

To be honest, I do keep myself active and whilst I have decent network of friends it can get quite lonely at the weekends especially if you've nothing else on and everyone else is doing there own thing.  I guess at this point in my life (early/mid thirties) I thought I would have been married/have kids etc.  My twenties came and went in a flash and I probably enjoyed the single life too much.  Guess it just hits you abit when you see everyone else settled.  That's not to say I'm unhappy and appreciate there are people in relationships who are unhappy and it's purely a convenience thing, but this time of year just gets me thinking about what I shouldda/couldda done re previous relationships.  Life certainly doesn't go in the straight line you expect it to when you're younger!

Have you tried doing some volunteer work? It's great to remind me how lucky I am and how much I take for granted. Amazing the people you meet. Keep the chin up.....as the saying goes....if it's for you it will not go by you.

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 20, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
Dublin footballer Shane Carthy on his experiences with depression. His intention is to share a message to those who are suffering in silence that there is hope for you and you are not alone on this journey

https://scarthyblog.home.blog/2018/12/19/im-no-longer-surviving-im-living/

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 20, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »
Wife was out tonight with work, In laws had the kids so I took the chance to go for a dander and ended up in a mates house with a pot of tea and a pool table. Craic was serious and some memories were brought up.

It did me a world of good and although there was a few tears from us all about whatís happened, itís proved that we are all there together.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 20, 2018, 11:41:37 PM »
Another thing that lifts your mood no end is pop on a stand up dvd. An hour of Billy Connolly would do you the power of good. Other comedians are available.

Anyone considered baking? Not much good at it but Iím sure a few scones, buns or apple tart is doable for most of us. Then pop your results round to family and friends. Itís a good excuse to call in, see people, arrange something for later etc. Plus, you can have a good laugh with folk when your results turn out disastrous!

I used to make soda farls and give a few extras to the girl next door. She was always happy to receive them, fresh from the griddle. A good excuse to meet the neighbours in a place where neighbours don't always mingle much.

spuds

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
Interestingly blog article from Dub player Shane Carthy from Naomh Mearnůg outlining his experiences.

https://scarthyblog.home.blog/2018/12/19/im-no-longer-surviving-im-living/
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
 John Hubbard

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 01, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
Happy New Year lads & ladies. Keep talking, keep smiling and donít let anything stand in your way.

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 01, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »
Happy New Year lads & ladies. Keep talking, keep smiling and donít let anything stand in your way.

👍👍👍

grounded

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 01, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »

Good man PJ, thats the spirit. Some great advice earlier about joining different clubs etc to meet new people.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
Anyone ever have issues with work getting you down?

The past 6 months have been a bit of a struggle - worrying about what if's/lack of sleep etc.

It all came from a problem I had with a job (work in construction) and confidence has suffered as a result.

Thinking of a job change/work for myself as I feel overstretched in consultancy role.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »

The past 6 months have been a bit of a struggle - worrying about what if's/lack of sleep etc.

It all came from a problem I had with a job (work in construction) and confidence has suffered as a result.

Thinking of a job change/work for myself as I feel overstretched in consultancy role.

I've had issues with this. Totally fried my head last summer. Got a promotion and tried to hard to impress, ended up making 3/4 big mistakes and it really shattered my self confidence and the self doubting was unreal.

I took a step back and weighed up my options, and decided to stay put. Gradually I started to make amends and slowed the process down and things have fine since. None of us can change the world and work, although it pays the bills is only small on the grand scheme of things.

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:23 PM »

I can relate to that, the last few years at my job have been nearly unbearable. A long story, I've basically been backed into a corner where I'm all things to this business, accountant, manager, IT person you f**king name it I do it. I've also got a financial interest in it without being the owner making it difficult to leave. I'm  50 and despite having loads of qualifications find it hard to see where I can place myself in the working world to get the wage I require/need

It got to me a couple of years back and basically didn't sleep for a year, but with medication I sleep now but still find myself under pressure and worrying. (mostly unnecessarily). The simple thing to do is give it up but what then?