Author Topic: Depression  (Read 60940 times)

johnneycool

Re: Depression
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »
Thank you muppet, and everyone else.

I know SFA about depression other than my Da having the odd bout of it, but what I do know is that you're mentally much stronger than you give yourself credit for.
I know I couldn't open up like you have but do seek professional help as you and your inner circle of friends and family have too much to lose otherwise.

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2016, 12:51:14 PM »
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »
Lost a good friend to suicide whilst at university. Absolutely floored myself and the other flatmates. Took me years to get over it really. The impact on the immediate and wider family circle is huge Red Hand Man. Have a word with someone fella, you are not alone!

Fionntamhnach

• "Load up on drugs, kill your friends..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2016, 08:01:37 PM »
That sounds like a horrendous time you have been going through, I hope things have picked up for you since that post  :-\
Hang in there
The answer to that is both yes and no I'm afraid.

Best wishes Fionntamhnach and fair play on such an honest and powerful post. I could relate to a lot of it(and I can genuinely say that you've often struck me as a brilliant poster on here). I've been through periods like that in my life too, the last couple of years actually but I recently started working with people who have intellectual disabilities and I love it. That, my family and running like a lunatic every chance I get, help me to keep it fairly positive. It's still a battle everyday, but it's worth hanging in there to see what happens I think. If there is ever any way I can help, PM me.
I'm due to start a voluntary work position very soon, just awaiting a police clearance because of the nature of the work.
Exercise is beneficial in keeping ones mind positive, but the motivation can be difficult to bring oneself on for especially as one gets older.

Keep er lit Fionntamhnach. Takes balls to write that.

One thing though, why on earth did ye pick the moniker bummer.....of all usernames.....?
It was the best of a bunch of usernames offered at the time when I asked for suggestions. Second best suggestion was "tits on a bulldog"!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:52:27 PM by Fionntamhnach »
Putting internet gobshítes in their place since 1999

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
Very powerful stuff Fionntamhnach. You are one of a small number of posters who I'd actually stop to read and enjoy your contributions to the board. Keeping fighting fella.

Same here. Apart from his contributions on general subjects, Fionntamhnach seems to have encyclopaedic knowledge of TV systems, transmission, reception, etc. that he has always shared willingly here. I have great time for people who know stuff, whatever it's about.The world doesn't work without them.

TBH when I read the post I wasn't sure, as those above seem to be, that it was about yourself. I thought you may have been quoting someone else. Mainly because I always saw you as a confident, educated, articulate and interesting poster. I didn't see that poster as doubting himself in the way you described. But then the only thing I have learned about these type of issues, is that they are rarely logical and easily understood.Fair play to you for being so open and honest and the hopefully some good will come your way because of it.]

I think it's the Aspie in me that comes across the knowledge I've built up over things like broadcast transmission systems (which is currently being used to hand F**ron's arse on a plate in the "Northern Catholics" thread ) and also a sense of formality when I write & talk. Both classic traits. However I'm not what you could call confident and interesting, in the latter case I'm probably one of the most boring people about unless you really hit a sweet spot on my interests, while in the former it explains why I have trouble with friendships and relationships. As for educated, I try to learn as an ongoing process but I have poor concentration spans which makes it difficult to study much in depth unless I can completely immerse myself into it and not let anything else distract me. Unfortunately until I can find a way to handle this more easily there's little point in me going back into third-level education. Had I been diagnosed with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder when I was younger (which had a very high bar set then in the 80's and 90's) I probably would have been regarded as a special needs case.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »

Jesus Fintona I had no idea you where going through that, always enjoyed your posts a lot. Hope things pickup for you, use all the support you can and focus your energies on the good things in life... it will not always be bad or dark

Very powerful stuff Fionntamhnach. You are one of a small number of posters who I'd actually stop to read and enjoy your contributions to the board. Keeping fighting fella.

Fionnta thats a very honest post lad. As said by others here your posts were the one i would have stopped to read. Hope you overcome this and life gets better for you.

Aye like the other lads have said it takes balls to write that. You seem like a great lad (for a Tyronie) so hope you navigate your way around this.
Appreciate the sentiments lads, thank you. However I'm quite resigned to having to face my life in coping with depression, anxiety & autism rather than knowing that some day it'll all go away. The glass will almost certainly be half empty for me.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2016, 08:38:28 PM »
I seem to have no coping mechanism for when things go wrong.

I can trundle along for weeks feeling as though I'm approaching "normality".  Then something adverse happens, and it completely floors me.
RHM, I've been in the same boat manys of times - for me it's about looking for an element of control in my life when things that can be seemingly innocuous cause triggers of anxiety and that the days, weeks and months it takes to build ones' self-confidence up can be just knocked down and flattened like a wrecking ball hitting a brick wall, and you have to start all over again. I (you?) feel vulnerable because I know that wall is delicately held together.

Someone mentioned to abstain from alcohol.  Without a bottle of red wine last night I wouldn't have slept.

Truth be told I'm in a f**king mess.
I don't drink myself, but I do know that alcohol isn't a long term solution to mental health problems. Trying to find a positive distraction is the key, but it can be easier said than done. It can be worthwhile talking to Lifeline or the Samaritans that I mentioned a few posts ago.

Thanks for that repost Fionn of your experiences.

One part of what's written is about a commonly held belief,  about "being too cowardly to try it (suicide) with any expectation of success."
Of course, cowardice or bravery has nothing to do with serious  attempts  or non attempts to do the deed, but I suppose what matters is the perception that it has.
On the other hand there are the rebukes by the misinformed that suicide is the coward's way out.
The way I see it, many people are driven to the brink of suicide because they perceive themselves to have failed in some way.
To think of trying to commit suicide is an idea of wanting whatever it is that makes you believe to be a failure to end & go away. The majority of people however pull back at this brink, one reason is the possibility of the failure of the attempt itself - if someone can't do something/anything right in their life, what makes them think that committing a suicide attempt has a certain outcome of being successful? Not to mention that if it doesn't succeed (and doesn't result in permanent damage like being brain damaged) you run the mental cycle of deeming oneself even more useless if you can't kill yourself properly, as well as some people whom would perceive your unsuccessful suicide attempt to be more of a plea for attention. Some attempts have better chances of succeeding than others.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:54:20 PM by Fionntamhnach »

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »
To finish this multipost, I suppose it's worth aligning my "pipe bomb" post on page 18 with a post I wrote nearly three years ago about struggles with depression - the diagnosis I didn't want to mention at the time was Aspergers Syndrome as I've admitted later.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=23910.msg1294793#msg1294793

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2016, 06:53:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE
But when the night is falling
And you cannot find the light
If you feel your dream is dying
Hold tight
You've got the music in you
Don't let go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS0hSP-3U14
If there's something inside that you wanna say
Say it alright it'll be okay
I will be your light, I will be your light

Depression is a bitch but no pain is forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LYuRzF-c8
Those biscuits are for the visitors

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
Suicidal thoughts are a symptom of depression. Reality is switched off and something else takes its place.  I don't think suicide is rational . Depression tells people it is.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 05, 2016, 08:01:05 AM »
This is more than a football song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYSQoNs0_9c

blewuporstuffed

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
World Mental Health Day today
#Glitch

an interesting article here on the different forms depression can take

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-mental-health-day-what-are-dangers-high-functioning-depression-anxiety-1585154

look out for each other folks
Talk to someone

www.samaritans.org
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 27, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
"It felt like my mind had given up on me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO-abUhL_Ws

Red Hand Man

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 27, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »
That's what it feels like. Good luck to this girl. Great performance.

stew

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2016, 06:53:58 AM »
All the best red hand man, I am pulling for you sir.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.