Author Topic: Depression  (Read 76247 times)

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

• Look out ol' mac is back!
    • View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
Great, honest post, BP. I keep a diary and note down any positive stuff I hear or read. My situation not on a par with yours but one mantra I try to follow is 'keep all ups and downs in perspective'. It doesn't always work but it's such a simple rule of life.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Mayo4Sam

• John Says Keep The Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »
Excellent posts BP, they are a credit to you. Takes a hell of a lot more courage to come out with something like this than the people who made comments about your appearance will ever have.
As the cool kids say - props!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
Good to read the posts, a lot of people seem to have bother with depression and a friend of mine has suffered badly with anxiety the past few months and only told me about it last week.  Knew he wasn't himself but I didn't pick up on it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
Good to read the posts, a lot of people seem to have bother with depression and a friend of mine has suffered badly with anxiety the past few months and only told me about it last week.  Knew he wasn't himself but I didn't pick up on it.

The point though is that you did pick up on it because you say that he wasn't himself.   People seem to think that depression will have this big neon sign like symptom that shouts out I am depressed.  It doesn't,  but you will notice changes in people's behaviour.  Maybe they seem distracted and distant when you're having a conversation, maybe they start missing the 5 aside or the Friday night pint you always have, maybe they are just very quiet when you are in their company, maybe they don't return the text or phonecall,  there are many different signals and all it can take is for you just to go to them and say come on out for a walk or a coffee or something where they can talk openly with you.  If someone does open up be present with them, really listen to them, be calm when you're talking to them because sometimes when people are opening up other people can get very 'oh God I never realised' and turn it round into a whole 'I'm sorry' session and lose the whole run of the thing, don't try to solve their problems,  it's not your job, don't try to understand unless you truly understand, empathy is something that needs to be true and to say to someone who is suffering from depression that you know how they feel when you clearly don't is not a good thing.  Don't compare them to someone else who is suffering or you think is suffering something as well.  It really angers me when I hear 'sure look at Johnny, he's had his leg cut off and you don't hear him complaining!'.  Of course you don't because he is like everyone else of us, he hides his pain but when he is in the privacy of his own home or the comfort of his own people he no doubt let's go of a few things.  The problem with depression is that it is such a personal illness and an invisible one that it is so hard to understand what is best to do.  Simply by listening and saying something like, you know you can talk to me anytime, and really mean that, then this can make a huge difference to someone who feels so lonely and isolated in their own lives.  To be isolated in you own head is the most debilitating thing I can imagine as the lose of control is numbing and can seem perpetual some times, but it isn't thankfully.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
Reposting this from my FB wall:

Chris was an old friend from my primary school days. I never saw much of him after we parted ways and went to different secondary schools, but itís funny how the friendships you form at that age seem deeper.  Any time I run into my old primary school mates it's always a happy reunion, weíre always glad to see that each other is doing well, is fit and healthy. When you knew what someone was like in their formative years and you see them later as adults, you get a real sense of how far theyíve come and the great life experiences they must have had in the meantime. Bumping into Chris was no different. He was always full of life, plenty of energy, and a great sense of humor. It always amazed me how he kept his spirits up in school even though our teacher in the last two years used to beat the head off him and humiliate him in front of the class at the slightest excuse. Maybe he just resented Chrisí energy and positive outlook.

I remember how excited he was when heíd mastered the art of swimming. Years later when I was at university I read a newspaper report about someone of the same name and from the same town, whom I presumed to be the same fella, getting pushed off the side of a ship that was docking in Belfast. He swam to the wharf and got out safely. I thought if anyone could survive and ordeal like that it was him, and itís a good thing that he learned that skill.

Last night I got a bit of news that Chris ended his life last week.  We donít know much about it, apart from that heíd been living in England for a while and there was a marital split recently.

This isnít the first time Iíve lost an old friend to mental illness, and once again it was the last person youíd expect.  There are times when I wonder if it would be different if people, men in particular, felt more free to talk about their feelings when things arenít going right. Depression is a debilitating condition, and itís as legitimate a medical problem as a broken leg or a viral infection. Itís also potentially deadly. We should feel free to talk about it, because thatís a critical part of dealing with it and getting through it. Thereís no need for depression to be stigmatized.

On a related point I must say it bugs me when I read about a high profile personís death in the Irish media and itís reported a ďsudden death,Ē but the actual cause of death isnít mentioned. When someone dies in a road accident, or of cancer, or some other illness, the cause of death is usually spelled out. But if you read all the way to the end of an article and they still havenít named the cause of death, you know that itís a euphemism for suicide. Itís almost as if theyíre afraid to mention it, adding to the culture of taboo surrounding the subject. They say itís because they donít want to upset the family, but I donít understand how this particular cause of death should be treated different from any other. This kind of coverage is unhelpful in my opinion.

We have a long way to go before we do a better job of dealing with depression.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2015, 02:14:41 AM »
Anyone have knowledge of diagnosis of bipolar? Does someone need admitted and assessed over a number of days, or what? There is a reason for asking, just too long a story to go into now.

DrinkingHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2015, 05:58:35 AM »
Anyone have knowledge of diagnosis of bipolar? Does someone need admitted and assessed over a number of days, or what? There is a reason for asking, just too long a story to go into now.

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-disorder-diagnosis

Don't know the parameters of your situation but when I worked in the ER in the hospital here in the states we had many family members, friends and individuals who brought people or themselves in. The doctors would usually do a 24-48 psych evaluation if there was hint of harm to the patient or others because of the situation. I believe if there was no threat they would do an outpatient evaluation after attending to the patient and situation. Each individual is different so take what appropriate action you believe is needed.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »

No offence but you need to ask that to a doctor or other people qualified to tell you. The possibly wildy inaccurate opinions of a handful of keyboard warriors is not what you want to take without a large pinch of salt. Myself included.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »

No offence but you need to ask that to a doctor or other people qualified to tell you. The possibly wildy inaccurate opinions of a handful of keyboard warriors is not what you want to take without a large pinch of salt. Myself included.

In my own experience, I found talking to someone who'd been or was still going through the same things to be the most helpful. Whether it was addiction, depression or anxiety I found doctors and psychiatrists(I remember one particular b!tch who charged a small fortune and had the empathy of a saltwater crocodile) sometimes just didn't get it , though I was lucky enough to meet one or two who were excellent.

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:47 AM »
There is a range of different bipolar disorders of varying intensities and duration. As already mentioned, the individual's GP (community psychiatric nurse, if they have one) should be the first port of call.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »

In my own experience, I found talking to someone who'd been or was still going through the same things to be the most helpful. Whether it was addiction, depression or anxiety I found doctors and psychiatrists(I remember one particular b!tch who charged a small fortune and had the empathy of a saltwater crocodile) sometimes just didn't get it , though I was lucky enough to meet one or two who were excellent.

That may be true but I'm just advocating caution when looking for advice on here where at times the truth is particularly muddled and at worst deliberately twisted to suit certain ideologies.

*I mean the board in general not specifically this thread which is fairly decent.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:04:24 PM by trileacman »
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
All posts appreciated.

My worry is, if a person has bipolar, would they necessarily know they had something wrong with them? And if nobody around them sees nothing out of the ordinary with them (maybe because they don't know the signs), then how will they ever be diagnosed with bipolar?

I seen a clip of Stephen Fry, and he said his view of normality is different to people without bipolar. So if he sees nothing wrong with his behaviour, how does he know he's behaving abnormally?

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »
Played at the Pieter House Mental Health /Suicide Awareness 'Darkness into Light' opening function in Liverpool last night. Great crowd for a worthy cause. There will be a walk/run coming up in May at 4.30 in the morn to raise awareness about this.

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »

That may be true but I'm just advocating caution when looking for advice on here where at times the truth is particularly muddled and at worst deliberately twisted to suit certain ideologies.

*I mean the board in general not specifically this thread which is fairly decent.

Your advice is right trileacman. I just have a personal thing about doctors, based on that one psychiatrist and a couple of dermatologists(who are imo a complete waste of time and money).

This website might be helpful Benny

http://www.healthline.com/health/could-it-be-bipolar-seven-signs-to-look-for

If you let your friend know you're there, you're concerned and you'd love to help them I think they will appreciate it, even if they don't accept the help.