Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 07, 2014, 05:46:21 PM
Brazil Squad announced

Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC).

This still amuses me  ;D

rrhf

AQMP

England's 23 man squad plus 7 stand-by players to be announced at 2pm today.  No Ashley Cole at all and apparently no Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverly or Ashley Young (though these 3 may be on stand-by).

Megaman

its only when you look through the possible England squad that you see how shit England are.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AQMP on May 12, 2014, 12:16:56 PM
England's 23 man squad plus 7 stand-by players to be announced at 2pm today.  No Ashley Cole at all and apparently no Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverly or Ashley Young (though these 3 may be on stand-by).

None of them deserve to be in the squad. England are not great but have better options than those guys the way they have played this season.

Canalman

Quote from: Megaman on May 12, 2014, 12:18:42 PM
its only when you look through the possible England squad that you see how shit England are.

In fairness you will meet very few people in England who will disagree with you. From what I can see anyway there is a realization there that this WC is more to give the younger players a "blooding" with the hope of better to come in the future.

Guaranteed you will still have some posters here harping on about the  mythical "hype"/ unrealistic expectatoins  etc etc.

magpie seanie

My guess at England squad:

Hart, Foster, Forster;

Walker, Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Shaw, Baines;

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Lallana, Lampard, Sterling, Barkley, Henderson, Wilshere;

Welbeck, Rooney, Lambert, Sturridge.

screenexile

They're mad not to take Terry... he's had a better season the Jagielka, Jones and Smalling!

AZOffaly

There's no legislating for Uncle Roy. He might bring Jamie Carragher yet! England need to decide what they are doing at this World Cup. If they are trying to win it (I know, I know) then lads like Terry are still the best available at their positions. Ashley Cole would also deserve a spot in the squad you'd imagine on that basis. If not, and they are trying to build for the future, then the likes of Shaw, Walker, Sterling, Wilshere, Sturridge and Llalana should all be starting. By the way, if Llalana signs for Liverpool, I expect the BBC to rename themselves LBC.

stephenite

A World Cup comes around once every 4 years, the notion that you would use such a tournament to 'build' for the future is nonsensical, you have to take your best squad to go as far as possible.

AZOffaly

I suppose what I meant was if they feel their 'best' squad hasn't a hope (which it hasn't) then why not use it to give experience for the Euros and future WCs to the fair few 19,20 and 21 year olds that are on the fringes. You can't beat the experience of playing in a World Cup tournament, apparently, so why 'waste' that experience on older bucks that have no chance?

(Not saying that's what I think, I'd be inclined to bring your strongest squad right now, but that's what I meant by the argument).

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 12, 2014, 01:30:34 PM
I suppose what I meant was if they feel their 'best' squad hasn't a hope (which it hasn't) then why not use it to give experience for the Euros and future WCs to the fair few 19,20 and 21 year olds that are on the fringes. You can't beat the experience of playing in a World Cup tournament, apparently, so why 'waste' that experience on older bucks that have no chance?

(Not saying that's what I think, I'd be inclined to bring your strongest squad right now, but that's what I meant by the argument).
So you're arguing against your own argument....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

It wasn't my argument :) I was saying they need to decide either a) or b).

Under Lights

Quote from: Megaman on May 12, 2014, 12:18:42 PM

Dunno about that. I would go 4-3-3

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagikella
Baines

Milner
Gerrard
Henderson

Sterling
Sturridge
Rooney