Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

From what I can see pretty much all of England are agreed that their team is poor. No way they are getting "carried away ". Qualifying imo is what they wanted.

Now Ireland before the Euros in Poland WAS getting carried away.

rodney trotter

AZOffaly

Great stuff. The world cup starts today!

Billys Boots

It's a toss-up between this thread and the WTF thread for this!!

QuoteBrazil 2014: World Cup draw explained

The process of deciding who plays who at next year's World Cup is a complex one, so let's try and simplify it ahead of today's draw in Costa do Sauipe in the Brazilian state of Bahia.

The 32 qualified countries will be split into four pots, and drawn into eight groups each containing four teams.

Pot One is the top seeds: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Belgium and Switzerland.

Pot Two contains the unseeded South American countries and the qualifiers from Africa: Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Ghana and Nigeria.

Pot Three is the teams from North and Central America plus Asia: Australia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, United States.

Pot Four contains the nine unseeded European teams: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Russia.

At the start of the draw, one European team from Pot Four will be selected at random and added to Pot Two to make it eight countries in each pot.

The four seeded South American teams will be put into a temporary pot (Pot X) and the European team from Pot Two will be drawn in the same group as one of them.

The draw will then proceed with Pot One being emptied and the teams allocated to position one in the Groups A-H in turn.

Pots Two, Three and Four will then be emptied in order but no South American teams can be in the same group, and a maximum of two European teams are permitted per group.

Teams from Pots Two, Three and Four will have their positions in the group drawn randomly.

Live coverage of the draw for the FIFA World Cup 2014 from 1635 on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (RoI only).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bingo

Billys Boots

Well there's no 'group of death' this time.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

CD

How long before they start referring to it as the group of death. Group A and B look tasty - group E hardest to call maybe??
Lots of talking points here!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

AZOffaly

England must be in the group of serious illness. Uruguay and Italy. Ouch. The BBC commentator nearly choked on his bile when France came out in the next group :)

Bingo

Is Englands game V Italy in the Amazon with 99% humidity or something like that!

rodney trotter

Some reaction on BBC for England,

Full draw and fixture list http://t.co/On6qaZxPIk

Zulu

Quote from: CD on December 06, 2013, 05:20:06 PM
How long before they start referring to it as the group of death. Group A and B look tasty - group E hardest to call maybe??
Lots of talking points here!

Well it took us around 20 minutes!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/group-of-death-awaits-england-616436.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/england-drawn-in-world-cup-group-of-death-29816696.html

Denn Forever

Quote from: Bingo on December 06, 2013, 05:22:52 PM
Is Englands game V Italy in the Amazon with 99% humidity or something like that!

Yep.  Brasilans go there for their winter holidays.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

CD

Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

AQMP

Group of Death??  I'd say Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile and Australia was a far tougher group than Englerlund's

mouview

Group E, France, Switz, Honduras, Ecuador is the Group of Dearth.