Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 17, 2013, 08:40:12 PM
I will probably go for Holland. Always liked them, for no particular reason.

Maybe because the Dutch love to kick their opponents up and down a pitch like many a good Knockmore man/woman does! ;D

Oh wait a minute it's probably their total football philosophy!! 8)

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2013, 10:45:04 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 18, 2013, 10:06:44 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 18, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Iceland haven't qualified yet.
And they won't IMO, as they can only be drawn against France,Portugal,Greece or Ukraine in the playoffs. Slim chance vs Ukraine i suppose as they can be hit and miss.

They wouldn't fear Greece, France can be erratic as can Portugal. Depends on those countries attitude, they would think the tie was over before it was played,

As France are no longer managed by a madman only Greece would have much of a chance of losing to Iceland.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2013, 12:43:44 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2013, 10:45:04 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 18, 2013, 10:06:44 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 18, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Iceland haven't qualified yet.
And they won't IMO, as they can only be drawn against France,Portugal,Greece or Ukraine in the playoffs. Slim chance vs Ukraine i suppose as they can be hit and miss.

They wouldn't fear Greece, France can be erratic as can Portugal. Depends on those countries attitude, they would think the tie was over before it was played,

As France are no longer managed by a madman only Greece would have much of a chance of losing to Iceland.
France are playing some decent football recently. Ribery is the becoming the heartbeat of the team, very reliant on him going forward however. Greece missed out on goal difference to Bosnia, Athens is tough place to go and get a result. Can't see any of the unseeded teams causing an upset in the playoffs on current form.

rodney trotter

Most team are generally tough to beat at home, if Iceland had the chance of a return leg against Greece at home for a place in the WC, they would take it.

ballinaman

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2013, 02:27:35 PM
Most team are generally tough to beat at home, if Iceland had the chance of a return leg against Greece at home for a place in the WC, they would take it.
Would love to see them go through, be a great story. From highlights and match reports they've done well to get as far as they have..ala Estonia a couple of years ago.
Hope we draw them for the Euros...place I'd love to visit.

rodney trotter

Be great if they made it alright. Temperatures drop dramatically in Iceland, in November, so that could be a big bonus for them if they had home advantage for second leg.

Iceland played in the European U21 Championship last summer so there was signs of potential there. Main striker is with Ajax, Sigurdsson with Spurs and obviously Eidur Gudjohnsen still playing too.

AZOffaly

Quote from: JimStynes on October 18, 2013, 12:04:22 AM
I love watching the Germans at the big tournaments.

You can never write off the Germans. (Can I claim to be the first to say that for the 2014 WC?)

rrhf

I always support the poorest African team.  I havent seen the line up yet but Im pretty sure theres one or two options. 

Sad but true. 

deiseach

Quote from: rrhf on October 18, 2013, 03:42:28 PM
I always support the poorest African team.  I havent seen the line up yet but Im pretty sure theres one or two options.

Even when Ireland are there? I think you might have taken The Commitments to heart.

ardal

Uraguay.

England for 1/4s. Beat Spain with mad deflection at the  end of the game to advance to Semi.

Meet Germany in Semi's, Roony spoons peno in penalti kicks after extra time.

Germany meet Uraguay in final. Forlon and Suarez dive for peno's. Both given, both scored.
Two germans sent off for being too blonde and having "Merkel love child" tattoos.

World recession ends.

England talks about what might have been and weep.

USA invade New Zealand for no apparent reason.

Irish work sick days higher during world cup than even when Ireland are playing in it.

The Brazalian versión of that bloody irritating horn thing used during African world cup, is blamed for the death of 2 billion people, but also soothes world hunger figures.

Massive riots in Brazil due to demands for political upheaval. World press concentrates on those dives against the Germans.

Billys Boots

Quote from: ballinaman on October 18, 2013, 02:35:15 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2013, 02:27:35 PM
Would love to see them go through, be a great story. From highlights and match reports they've done well to get as far as they have..ala Estonia a couple of years ago.
Hope we draw them for the Euros...place I'd love to visit.

Greece amassed 25 points from 10 games, scoring 12 goals and conceding 4 - we saw it ourselves in the Aviva; they are seriously defensive.  They won't care whether they're home or away first or second - they'll play exactly the same way in both venues - they'll try to score on a counter-attack or from a corner and will make no attempt to build attacks through possession.  I can see them being confident of beating anyone they draw in a play-off. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

rodney trotter

They are very dour, won Euro 04 playing like that. I was at that game in the Aviva, awful game for sure. Still, not like they are all out attack like Portugal or France. They have an ageing player in Karogounis  who is still the main man. Samaras up front is a handful but no Ronaldo.

Itchy

I like Roy Hodgson, seems a decent skin but even at that I'd not like to see England do well. Maybe Argentina or Croatia.

CD

Like a lot of the posters on here - I love seeing the English hype and expectations crushed in these tournaments. Feel slightly different this time however as the media has realistic expectations for once! They are miles behind Spain, Germany, Italy and Holland in Europe in terms of their performances at big tournaments. They've now been passed by Belgium as well! I can't see them making the last 8 and if they do, that's as far as it'll go.

I think a European team is going to win in S American for the first time - Germany for me and they're 5/1 already with all the bookies!!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

GAA_Talk

Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 11:15:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
What has "cheering for Rooney" etc got to do with anything?
When you are cheering for Rooney with Man United, you are also cheering for Robin Van Persie and loads of other nationalities. At the same time, you are cheering against Lampard, Gerrard etc.
I cheer for England because we are far more culturally similar to them than to any other country and because of the huge enjoyment the Barclays Premier League™ gives me.

Good to know you're referring to the trademarked Barclays Premier League as opposed to the knock off one.