Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Jonah on October 17, 2013, 10:42:24 PM
Don't really care who wins but it be nice to see someone other than the usual suspects win. Will be shouting for the underdogs like Bosnia & Herzegovina and the likes.
New Zealand were a great success story at the last World Cup even if they didn't qualify for the 2nd round they still put up a great showing.
Didn't know Iceland had qualified until I saw someone mention it on here.

They haven't qualified, in the play offs.

Minder

Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2013, 11:39:44 PM
Quote from: Sidney on October 17, 2013, 11:15:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
What has "cheering for Rooney" etc got to do with anything?
When you are cheering for Rooney with Man United, you are also cheering for Robin Van Persie and loads of other nationalities. At the same time, you are cheering against Lampard, Gerrard etc.
I cheer for England because we are far more culturally similar to them than to any other country and because of the huge enjoyment the Barclays Premier League™ gives me.

The English, like Protestants in the North, don't have a culture.

I dont understand why anyone from Ireland would support England.

Bitterness aside how can anyone seriously say the English don't have a culture ? Are GAA people in Ireland the only people in the world that have a "culture" ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

Quote from: AQMP on October 17, 2013, 08:44:47 PM
Argentina.  Have supported them since 1974 when they had a player called Carlos Babington.  Just thought it was a great name!

I remember him alright - for some reason I was fascinated by Robbie Rensenbrink in that WC. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J OGorman

Do folk from Argentina like being called Argies?

ballinaman

Quote from: J OGorman on October 18, 2013, 09:29:03 AM
That would be a no. Asked a guy that question from Argentina that I know and he said because it was used by the Birts mostly in a derogatory way around the time of the Falklands War.

Aaron Boone

J OGorman

Quote from: ballinaman on October 18, 2013, 09:35:26 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 18, 2013, 09:29:03 AM
That would be a no. Asked a guy that question from Argentina that I know and he said because it was used by the Birts mostly in a derogatory way around the time of the Falklands War.

thats what i was thinking..was wondering why so many on here were calling Argentinians, Argies...sort it out Paddys  ;)

Asal Mor

Anyone know without googling it who were the only father and son to play on the same international team. The son actually came on as a sub for his father.

laoislad

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 18, 2013, 10:01:52 AM
Anyone know without googling it who were the only father and son to play on the same international team. The son actually came on as a sub for his father.

Roy Keane and Robbie Keane.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 18, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Iceland haven't qualified yet.
And they won't IMO, as they can only be drawn against France,Portugal,Greece or Ukraine in the playoffs. Slim chance vs Ukraine i suppose as they can be hit and miss.

mc_grens

Maldini? I think that happened in Milan but I'm not sure if it happened for Italy too.

In answer to the original question- since Ireland aren't there I'll support whomever my money is on.

Donnellys Hollow

Gudjohnson
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

quit yo jibbajabba

Subfor Mysonson??

Ill get me coat..

Asal Mor

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 18, 2013, 10:22:00 AM

Subfor Mysonson??

Ill get me coat..
:) Gudjohnsen is right. I like the Roy and Robbie answer too though.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ballinaman on October 18, 2013, 10:06:44 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 18, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Iceland haven't qualified yet.
And they won't IMO, as they can only be drawn against France,Portugal,Greece or Ukraine in the playoffs. Slim chance vs Ukraine i suppose as they can be hit and miss.

They wouldn't fear Greece, France can be erratic as can Portugal. Depends on those countries attitude, they would think the tie was over before it was played,