Author Topic: Broadband  (Read 12416 times)

armaghniac

• View Profile
Re: Broadband
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Further EDIT - I can hang out an upstairs bedroom and get 2 bars on 4G, but running a speed test on my phone shows a download speed of just 3.21mbps.  Would I have not expected better than that from 4G?

the speed will vary constantly, so check it several times.
maybe get an unlocked mobile broadband wifi router with a max aerial on it and put it in the roof space or wherever, the try different sims for a period.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gaaman2016

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »
Get less than 1Mbps with BT, so got a 3 unlimited data sim about three years ago and put an antenna on the roof to boost the signal. Got max of around 10Mbps with 3.
Recently changed to EE, it's a bit pricier but speeds offpeak about 30Mbps and can drop on to 7-8 Mbps on the odd occasion at peak times

On the mobile 3G/4G non existent indoors, sometimes phone signal is even non-existent. Antenna on roof makes a big difference

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
It is worth noting that there are wimax providers with signal in some parts, I know nothing about them, perhaps Fionntamhnach does,  but I'd check them out if other options are not great.
No doubt you'll find info on these, and comments good and bad, online.
e.g. https://www.bluebox.network/coverage/
https://www.beaconbroadband.co.uk/coverage

Wimax is designed to have an aerial outside, pointing at the mast, connected to a router.

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »
Further EDIT - I can hang out an upstairs bedroom and get 2 bars on 4G, but running a speed test on my phone shows a download speed of just 3.21mbps.  Would I have not expected better than that from 4G?

the speed will vary constantly, so check it several times.
maybe get an unlocked mobile broadband wifi router with a max aerial on it and put it in the roof space or wherever, the try different sims for a period.

Many factors to consider in achieving an "acceptable" speed on 4G, signal strength helps but is no guarantee - signals from other base stations, contention (amount of users) at the base station you are locked on to at the time etc. What has been notable since networks introduced unlimited data packages is how download speeds have started taken a hit for everyone (though this was almost certainly going to happen).

There's very little practical advice myself or others could give here as to what to choose for the best results as it really needs a site survey either by yourself or someone who knows what to do.

However if Vodafone & O2 are the only options, I'd recommend looking at Voxi's** unlimited data plan - would appear slightly costly at £35 a month but they run on a 30 day only contract, so you can painlessly disconnect from them if things didn't work out rather than be stuck with them for 12/18 or even 24 months. As a comparison, Vodafone themselves offer speed-tiered unlimited data packages via sim-only which have unlimited, 10 Mbit/s and 2 Mbit/s capped speeds. We can rule out the last one for home use unless you're a glutton for punishment - their unlimited with no speed cap on a 30 day contract (Unlimited Max) is £41, or £33 per month for 12 months or £30 per month for 24 months - see https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/best-sim-only-deals?icmp=QL_SIMOnly_LP_ATG

** Voxi is Vodafone UK's "yoof" brand but is open to everyone, running on a "hybrid" sim only/PAYG scheme where you have to set up a direct debit for their monthly fee of £10/£15/£20/£25. Been with them before, they're alright - voxi.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:20:56 PM by Fionntamhnach »
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2020, 01:31:25 PM »
On the mobile 3G/4G non existent indoors, sometimes phone signal is even non-existent. Antenna on roof makes a big difference

This. The clearer the path of the signal(s) between your transceiver aerial (wherever its on the device or it's an external mounted one) and the base station providing coverage to you, is nearly always better in providing you stronger coverage with less interference. Worth remembering that in some cases there may be more than one base station providing the best coverage to different parts of your house, this is where a site survey helps to get the best result.

The big disadvantage is that especially for the signals that are above 1000MHz, their loss over coax cable can be significant. EE's external aerial offering limits the included coax cable to just 5 metres for this reason. More professional systems have the modem and antenna as an all-in-one system to be mounted externally which is then connected to a router indoors using a Cat5e/6 outdoor rated cable, which also provides DC power to the aerial/modem via Power over Ethernet (PoE).
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2020, 01:59:26 PM »
What’s the thoughts on Fibrus and Project Stratum https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/news/ps165m-broadband-improvement-contract-awarded-fibrus-networks-ltd

Will Fibrus be providing fibre to the premises for each of these 76,000 premises?

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2020, 02:40:25 PM »
Given that's it the DUP dealing with this I'm sure they have been well taken care of by Fibrus.

Smokin Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »
Has there been any publication of likely installation dates by postcode / area?

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
Has there been any publication of likely installation dates by postcode / area?
Red areas first

Smokin Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »
Where is that image from?
Any links?

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2020, 06:05:46 PM »
That map looks suspiciously like a map of the Potestant proportion of the population, which is no doubt what Dodds would prefer.
However, the main partners in the this venture are Taigs. 

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2020, 09:26:02 PM »
Funny how Fivemiletown is red, wonder what the connection is there.... :o

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
That map looks suspiciously like a map of the Potestant proportion of the population, which is no doubt what Dodds would prefer.
Rumbled. It's a distribution by religion map from Wiki.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »

Ha, ha,
   you're both ends of a bollox Tony.

Like it though.  ;D

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »

Must try harder. You should have used the Covid map!

However, the broadband thing is a bit unclear
https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/consultations/extending-broadband-across-northern-ireland-project-stratum

the list of postcodes includes one at the Forestside shopping centre in Belfast.