Championship Draw 2014

Started by All of a Sludden, October 03, 2013, 01:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 03, 2013, 11:05:12 PM
Quotetime I remember Longford playing Offaly was 1997 I think and we got a hiding in Tullamore.....might get home advantage this time around but prize of playing Wexford yet again is hardly that enticing! Leinster just another cake walk for the Dubs it would seem unfortunately

If I recalls Offaly 5-13 Longford 0-09

I didn't go to that one. Thankfully. Offaly were on fire that year under Lyons.

Yeah and they took a bit of a slapping in the AI semi. One of our better AI semis and we did the now familiar September splits. Of all of the magnificent 7 failures that is the one that still fucks my mind up the most - even more so than a couple of weeks ago.

Jinxy

A showdown with Kildare on the cards so.
We'll make bits of them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Same o' same o', in Ulster. The cynicism overspill, is wearing me out.

I'd prefer Down (usually a clean customer) get through the mud and mire to meet Monaghan in the semis.
Otherwise it will be a satisfying date of retribution with the team from the dungeons of Hell and they have a pretty price to pay.

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2013, 10:22:49 PM
Antrim could defo get to an Ulster final, no real big hitters on our side of the draw, that might bring in a good manager now with a host of players making their way back

Spot on MR2.  First up it's Fermanagh, well they're shite too.  After that Donegal/Derry.  I'd prefer Donegal as we've a win agin them in recent memory (in Bealach Feidh too!) whereas I can only remember a draw agin Derry in 2000.  So the form book says we've a better chance against the Tir Chonaill men.  Then it's the final against whoever comes out of the weak side of the draw.  Hopefully Cavan can fulfil their potential as we've a daycent record against them recently.  I'd go for Antrim v Cavan (the traditional Ulster Final).  We really should be seeded.

J OGorman

there's potentially more counties with a chance of winning ulster than the other 3 provinces put together

Ulster is some craic.  :)

LeoMc

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 03, 2013, 11:14:41 PM
Wouldn't have to do an open draw just adjust a few provinces which would make sense Geographically. And have an even number.

Would ye ever fcek off to Conaught leave the 8 of us alone.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Insider on October 03, 2013, 09:11:12 PM
Should we get over Offaly we have to meet Wexford again AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH !!!!!!! .We could both do wiyj avoiding each other for a while . Minors drew the Dub's in a David v Goliath clash . U-21's got Westmeath , Don't know where that will be with the home and away agreement between counties

Last U21 match was in Navan but that was a Leinster semi final. Time before that was 2005, think it was in Longford.

Alright draw for the seniors as well. A lot will depend on how we go in the league.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rodney trotter

Quote from: LeoMc on October 04, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
Wouldn't have to do an open draw just adjust a few provinces which would make sense Geographically. And have an even number.

Quote from: LeoMc on October 04, 2013, 09:36:00 AM

At least it spell it right, Connacht. Ah nah we will be hanging around.

Rossfan

Then they would be regions not provinces. Or do you envisage a Westmeath v Donegal "Connacht"(sic) Final someday?
I'm sure Carlow and Kilkenny would "love to join " the new Southern Region and still Kerry and Cork would walk to the last 8/12.
Would the sticks crowd then have different regions?
Ráiméis of the highest order as is the nonsense of an "open draw" with no Provincials.
Anyway aren't the Qualifiers a semi open nationwide draw?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 04, 2013, 10:16:07 AM
Quote from: The Insider on October 03, 2013, 09:11:12 PM
Should we get over Offaly we have to meet Wexford again AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH !!!!!!! .We could both do wiyj avoiding each other for a while . Minors drew the Dub's in a David v Goliath clash . U-21's got Westmeath , Don't know where that will be with the home and away agreement between counties

Last U21 match was in Navan but that was a Leinster semi final. Time before that was 2005, think it was in Longford.

Alright draw for the seniors as well. A lot will depend on how we go in the league.

2005 game was in Mullingar. Longford won after extra time.

Stall the Bailer

If you want 4 groups of 8 and the provincial championships as well, there is one solution.
You could have qualifying rounds to get into the Ulster and Leinster championships with losers playing in Munster and Connacht.

So Down and Tyrone would compete to see who plays in the last 8 of Ulster and losers would play in Connacht. Depending on draw it could be any team in Ulster competing in Connacht on a given year.
As the most northern in Leinster the losers of Westmeath v Louth would also play in Connacht.

The losers of Wicklow v Laois and Longford v Offaly would play in Munster.

This would leave 4 groups of 8 in each province and each team has a chance of winning their home provincial championships as well.

The new draws for Connacht and Munster next year would be.

London v Galway
Sligo v Down/Tyrone
Mayo v Westmeath/Louth
Roscommon v Leitrim

Cork v Wicklow/Laois
Tipperary v Limerick
Kerry v Longford/Offaly
Clare v Waterford

New York can play the bottom team from Div 4 in a qualifier and take their place if they win.

dlgael

Quote from: AQMP on October 04, 2013, 08:54:36 AM
Antrim could defo get to an Ulster final, no real big hitters on our side of the draw, that might bring in a good manager now with a host of players making their way back

Spot on MR2.  First up it's Fermanagh, well they're shite too.  After that Donegal/Derry.  I'd prefer Donegal as we've a win agin them in recent memory (in Bealach Feidh too!) whereas I can only remember a draw agin Derry in 2000.  So the form book says we've a better chance against the Tir Chonaill men.  Then it's the final against whoever comes out of the weak side of the draw.  Hopefully Cavan can fulfil their potential as we've a daycent record against them recently.  I'd go for Antrim v Cavan (the traditional Ulster Final).  We really should be seeded.

You Antrim boys are some craic. Seems you missed the fact that McGuinnesses Donegal simply don't compare to that of John Joe Doherty when we couldn't buy a win home or away. The Antrim loss in Ballybofey was pretty much the low point of the past 30 odd years of Donegal football. What made it worse than losing to Ulsters minnows was the man that was in charge of ye. Even accepting the fact that we kicked 19 wides that day and went on to reach a Quarter final, it's still an unforgiveable blot on JJ Dohertys copybook. Couldn't see a repeat if you paid me to. Whoever wins Donegal v Derry appears in the Ulster final as underdogs to a team who deserves to win it given what they've been through on the other side of the draw.

The Biff

Any comments on the method of making the Draws?  The balls/cylinders looked like leftover Fuji-film holders from the 35mm era.  But the real cracker move was the different coloured caps on them.  I could clearly see black and purple colours, and I thought I saw some dark blue as well.  Then throw in these multiple bowls so that there is usually only a relatively small number of "balls" to pick from at a time.  Whether or not any of the Draws was fixed or not, they certainly made it easier than ever to do so.  It should at least look fair even if it isn't.

At least we didn't draw Kildare again.  But our hurlers did draw Kilkenny again.  Give us a break!  ???
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

J70

Quote from: dlgael on October 04, 2013, 12:04:34 PM

Spot on MR2.  First up it's Fermanagh, well they're shite too.  After that Donegal/Derry.  I'd prefer Donegal as we've a win agin them in recent memory (in Bealach Feidh too!) whereas I can only remember a draw agin Derry in 2000.  So the form book says we've a better chance against the Tir Chonaill men.  Then it's the final against whoever comes out of the weak side of the draw. Hopefully Cavan can fulfil their potential as we've a daycent record against them recently.  I'd go for Antrim v Cavan (the traditional Ulster Final).  We really should be seeded.

You Antrim boys are some craic. Seems you missed the fact that McGuinnesses Donegal simply don't compare to that of John Joe Doherty when we couldn't buy a win home or away. The Antrim loss in Ballybofey was pretty much the low point of the past 30 odd years of Donegal football. What made it worse than losing to Ulsters minnows was the man that was in charge of ye. Even accepting the fact that we kicked 19 wides that day and went on to reach a Quarter final, it's still an unforgiveable blot on JJ Dohertys copybook. Couldn't see a repeat if you paid me to. Whoever wins Donegal v Derry appears in the Ulster final as underdogs to a team who deserves to win it given what they've been through on the other side of the draw.

I think they may be taking the piss a little here.  :D

Walter Cronc

Quote from: J70 on October 04, 2013, 01:51:15 PM
Quote from: dlgael on October 04, 2013, 12:04:34 PM

Spot on MR2.  First up it's Fermanagh, well they're shite too.  After that Donegal/Derry.  I'd prefer Donegal as we've a win agin them in recent memory (in Bealach Feidh too!) whereas I can only remember a draw agin Derry in 2000.  So the form book says we've a better chance against the Tir Chonaill men.  Then it's the final against whoever comes out of the weak side of the draw. Hopefully Cavan can fulfil their potential as we've a daycent record against them recently.  I'd go for Antrim v Cavan (the traditional Ulster Final).  We really should be seeded.

I think they may be taking the piss a little here.  :D

Donegal perspective on the draw J70? Do you expect a battle in the bogside or something similar to the hiding you gave Derry a couple of years ago in Ballybofey!!