Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If lads enjoy driving monster trucks Hardy, what business is it of yours?
>:(
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

I liken this game to something like the pick of Ireland's hurlers taking on the National Hockey League All Stars in pitch and putt. It might be decent enough (maybe) to watch, but it's not Hurling or Hockey. But sure what harm I suppose.

ballinaman

Might go to see it now that Adam Goodes is going to be involved. What an athlete.

Hardy

It's not the fact that it's a makey-uppey game that I dislike. All games are ultimately makey-uppey. It's mainly that I think it's dangerous and irresponsible to pit amateur athletes against professionals in a physical contact sport where a physical hit is a component of the game - a physical hit in which the professionals are trained and the amateurs are not.

People will say that's not an argument any more as the Aussies have cleaned up their act. Well it's that that's not an argument as far as I'm concerned. We can't be at the mercy of the Australian coach's choice of tactics or of his players' potential and often displayed indiscipline. The sight of Graham Geraghty lying with what I thought was a broken neck was the turning point for me. My attitude was confirmed in a more recent match when Emmet Bolton lay injured as a result of a tackle that's foreign to our sport and the Aussies high-fived each other on the basis that one of them had potentially disabled him. It's nothing to do with toughness or hardness. It's simply that our players are unschooled and not naturally braced for a hit that doesn't happen in Gaelic.

Plus, the GAA has nothing to gain and everything to lose from an unequal relationship with a sports/entertainment outfit from the far side of the world, whose main objective for the arrangement seems to be to get access to our best players.

Apart from that it's not just a makey-uppey game. It's a crap makey-uppey game. On the other hand, I love the hurling-shinty and I'm really looking forward to it on Saturday.

Bingo

It was poor entertainment. As bad as the Aussies where, Ireland struggled to put them away and had some wayward shooting. It was the general pace of it that disappointed, when the Aussies upped it in QTR 3 it was more a contest for a brief ten minutes.

Just so much negativity about it at this stage - the game itself, availability of players etc. I think the club v country rows have to be taken out of the equation if the game is to continue. I'd set a deadline, of two weeks before the first game, any player still involved in club championship is ruled out of selection for the first test. Squad for the second test can name later if some players are freed up. We've enough players at a decent standard available on this basis. Might even help level the playing field a bit if the aussies continue with this type of squad.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: lawnseed on October 19, 2013, 07:23:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 19, 2013, 06:58:08 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on October 19, 2013, 06:33:20 PM
Ireland are gonna get hammered.. far too many mayo losers on the panel ::)

Asshole.

Anyway, I found this on hoganstand... If it's up here before good and well...

The club v. country row rumbles on as Mayo club Breaffy are the latest outfit to seek a postponement of the County SFC final.

Breaffy have Aidan O'Shea involved with the Ireland squad ahead of the International Rules test and with the second test on Saturday, October 26, just 24hrs before the county final against Castlebar Mitchels.

However, despite the club's pleas, the county final looks set to go ahead on Sunday, October 27th, but Mayo CCC chairman Mike Connelly stated that unless the Connacht club SFC was put back, then there was nothing they could do.

"We have to allow for the draw," Connelly told the Mayo News. "If Croke Park and Connacht Council decide to put the Connacht Championship back by a week, we can move the county final, but at the minute, we can't move it."
oh wait.. this isn't the final yet lets wait until the final and then get hammered :D mayo stylie

You are some dickhead
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Worth having a google of "big footy international rules".

Brings you to their message board over in Australia. They don't seem too mad on it. Good few posts recall their best memories as as times when our lads got their head taken off.

AZOffaly

We destroyed that Big Footy forum back in the day. Hardy, in the interests of sepia tinted reminiscing, would you post up your ode to Australian Rules that you sent over there?

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on October 21, 2013, 03:31:03 PM
It's not the fact that it's a makey-uppey game that I dislike. All games are ultimately makey-uppey. It's mainly that I think it's dangerous and irresponsible to pit amateur athletes against professionals in a physical contact sport where a physical hit is a component of the game - a physical hit in which the professionals are trained and the amateurs are not.

People will say that's not an argument any more as the Aussies have cleaned up their act. Well it's that that's not an argument as far as I'm concerned. We can't be at the mercy of the Australian coach's choice of tactics or of his players' potential and often displayed indiscipline. The sight of Graham Geraghty lying with what I thought was a broken neck was the turning point for me. My attitude was confirmed in a more recent match when Emmet Bolton lay injured as a result of a tackle that's foreign to our sport and the Aussies high-fived each other on the basis that one of them had potentially disabled him. It's nothing to do with toughness or hardness. It's simply that our players are unschooled and not naturally braced for a hit that doesn't happen in Gaelic.

Plus, the GAA has nothing to gain and everything to lose from an unequal relationship with a sports/entertainment outfit from the far side of the world, whose main objective for the arrangement seems to be to get access to our best players.

Apart from that it's not just a makey-uppey game. It's a crap makey-uppey game. On the other hand, I love the hurling-shinty and I'm really looking forward to it on Saturday.

Now there's a makey-uppey game we can be proud of.
The Scots can fairly whack it.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 21, 2013, 03:14:21 PM
I liken this game to something like the pick of Ireland's hurlers taking on the National Hockey League All Stars in pitch and putt. It might be decent enough (maybe) to watch, but it's not Hurling or Hockey. But sure what harm I suppose.

I think this 'Hocking' idea of yours has potential AZ.

rodney trotter

Very good. ;D

From the Bunker

The sight of Graham Geraghty lying with what I thought was a broken neck was the turning point for me.

This was where it ended for me also. I was disgusted that day. As a Mayo man I'd (at the time) not have been a big fan of Graham, but jez that tackle took the biscuit.

HeaveHo

The naysayers will be pleased to note that the AFL has almost lost interest in the concept and on the back of numerous poor showings by Australian sides and stories of excessive partying by the indigenous lads it is likely that they will kill it off at a meeting with the GAA this Wednesday. I suspect the GAA is of similar mind.

The series was set up as an outlet to provide the players of both codes with an opportunity to represent their country. Having to bastardise both games was never going to work in the long term.

The AFL is becoming increasing professional and competitive and the clubs do not want their star players engaging in some mindless end of season series where they are at risk of serious injury. I am sure that GAA clubs have similar concerns.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 21, 2013, 08:45:28 PM
The sight of Graham Geraghty lying with what I thought was a broken neck was the turning point for me.

This was where it ended for me also. I was disgusted that day. As a Mayo man I'd (at the time) not have been a big fan of Graham, but jez that tackle took the biscuit.

I remember Paul McGrane being on the end of a brutal tackle too, and had to go off injured. He could've been very seriously injured. Think it was in 2002, and never saw him in an Ireland shirt after it.