Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

To say that there isn't an alternative to this product, therefore we must continue; would suggest that there is some imperative objective to be fulfilled here.
What is this objective exactly, financial, international relations, games promotion?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

The gulf was huge yesterday evening. With such a gulf would it not be better to just play them straight out at their own game. Ball and all?

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 27, 2013, 03:00:24 PM
The gulf was huge yesterday evening. With such a gulf would it not be better to just play them straight out at their own game. Ball and all?

What about when they beat us handily at this game a few years ago? The gulf, while nowhere near as big as last night, was the other way - it was us who were way behind.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

CD

The decision to restrict the Australian panel to indigenous players only was nothing more than a gimmick aimed at rousing some interest in the series in Australia. The future of the game must be in huge doubt after last night's annihilation. I'd say the backers and sponsors were devastated by the gulf between the sides. Interest in Ireland is also clearly on the slide – check out the attendance figures for the last six series in Ireland.

2000    -       95000
2002   -       116000
2004   -   107000
2006    -   117000
2010   -   92000
2013   -   46000

It's no surprise that the big attendances accompanied the games that were surrounded in controversy and violence. The lesson is simple – the big Australian names have to play and the physicality has to be there or we're just not interested.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2013, 01:28:10 PM
To say that there isn't an alternative to this product, therefore we must continue; would suggest that there is some imperative objective to be fulfilled here.
What is this objective exactly, financial, international relations, games promotion?

It's been a success in previous years within the narrow parameters of existence. It's a game that allows players represent their country, it has attracted big attendances and keeps the GAA in the media. I don't think there is any real goal beyond that and if it was stopped I wouldn't lose any sleep but while it's being played I see no reason for the constant moaning of some. I never hear complaining about the shinty which doesn't even tick most of the boxes I mentioned.

Wildweasel74

At the end of the day, nobody has to watch it, sure there plenty of soccer or rugby to watch lads, if the players are interested in keeping it and want to play, i would still go with it, there is very little football on at this time of year anyway, or you have nothing to complain about

Redhand Santa

I was at the game last night and would have to agree the Aussies need to be look at their input to the series if its to continue. I left early but did enjoy some lovely football played and great scores by the Irish in the 1st half. Their speed and use of the ball was excellent albeit against limited opposition.

I don't understand people with a really strong opinion against the series. As has been pointed out no one is forcing them to watch it. For me any concept that has the potential to attract crowds of 100,000 in October to watch the very best gaa players has to be kept.

The gaa has big competition from soccer and rugby and anything that can attract those crowds and create headlines during the inter county offf season is a good thing if done right. The place was full of children last night having a great time. It's great that their memories are being made in croke park watching our best players and being part of a big gaa event rather than being in the Aviva at soccer or rugby.

From a players point of view it's great that they're getting extra exposure and being able to challenge themselves against top athletes from a different country. It may not be Gaelic football but it does require many of the same skills. Shooting passing catching the layout of the team are all the same. It also gives them a chance to represent their country in a competitive game and play alongside other top players. Not to mention a trip to australia.

Even after a poor game last week, an understrength Aussie team and negative coverage over 28000 still showed up last week which will be the last decent crowd in croke for the year. Looking at last weeks viewing figures it was tg4's top show by a mile and was well ahead of the county finals and rugby. So for all the so called lack of interest people are still watching.

For me effort should be made to get the top Australian players back involved and create a highly competitive test series again. Why people would want the gaa not to fight for the exposure this gives I've no idea. One thing they could do is move it to the sunday and insist any club games be played on a Saturday for the 2 weekends to ensure no rows over clashes.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 27, 2013, 04:21:44 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2013, 01:28:10 PM

It's been a success in previous years within the narrow parameters of existence. It's a game that allows players represent their country, it has attracted big attendances and keeps the GAA in the media. I don't think there is any real goal beyond that and if it was stopped I wouldn't lose any sleep but while it's being played I see no reason for the constant moaning of some. I never hear complaining about the shinty which doesn't even tick most of the boxes I mentioned.

Sweeney was 100% right in todays Indo, it's an ego trip for the players and a plane trip for the officials.
The shinty/hurling crossover gets almost zero coverage despite being a far superior game and is played against our near neighbours from Scotland.
It also actively selects players from counties with a lower profile, particularly from the North.
It's played in a great spirit, with lots of skill and everyone seems to enjoy themselves.
And yet we don't have our top hurlers elbowing each other out of the way to play in it.
Why is that?
Do they not want to 'represent' their country or do they see it for what it is, which is basically an exhibition game.
Look at any of the aussie rules boards to see what they think about the IR series.
Half of them didn't know it was on, 75% of them think the game they are watching is Gaelic football and 90% of them think the Irish are whingers who have had all the physicality removed from the game.
As I said before, it diminishes both games.
To see our side making out like winning it is a big deal while their side sends a rubbish team and the fans don't even know it's on, is frankly a bit embarrassing.

rodney trotter

Jinxy you do know Shinty isn't as taken as serious in Scotland as Hurling is in Ireland, and the main reason the Irish side is mainly made up of players from weaker Counties, is to make it more of a level playing field for the Scots, otherwise they would be hammered.

Jinxy

rrhf

Zulu

QuoteI do know that, I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

Because you asked this....

QuoteAnd yet we don't have our top hurlers elbowing each other out of the way to play in it.
Why is that?

QuoteThe shinty/hurling crossover gets almost zero coverage despite being a far superior game and is played against our near neighbours from Scotland.

I think shinty/hurling thing is rubbish but I have no issue with it continuing and it certainly does nothing for the development of hurling.

QuoteLook at any of the aussie rules boards to see what they think about the IR series.
Half of them didn't know it was on, 75% of them think the game they are watching is Gaelic football and 90% of them think the Irish are whingers who have had all the physicality removed from the game.
As I said before, it diminishes both games.

How many Scots knew about the shinty/hurling game do you think?

GAA players play two 'compromise' games, one you can't stop giving out about the other you have no issue with? That shows you've no good reason for your anti-IR stance bar not liking the game (which is fair enough) but just ignore it if that's the case. That's what I do with sports I don't like.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 27, 2013, 09:31:47 PM
QuoteI do know that, I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

Because you asked this....

QuoteAnd yet we don't have our top hurlers elbowing each other out of the way to play in it.
Why is that?

Richie Hogan, Paraic Maher, Brendan Maher & Shane O'Neill are all on this years panel.
Tommy Walsh has played in it before too.
I don't remember him ranking it up there with winning an All-Ireland though.