Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

some of the best smaller players in Gaelic football are simply not suited to this game and would not stand out the way they would in the gaelic

rodney trotter

McCaffrey was picked for speed, how many times did he break through into the Australian half.

J OGorman

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 19, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
Nonsense of a game, complete and utter shite to watch.
Most of Ireland's best players not playing - Cooper, Brogan etc. Australia not interested as their best players are at home.

If I was involved with Murphys club I would be rightly pissed off.

be thankful you only have to put up with it every two years, the rest of us have to put up with what Tyrone serve up every year !

Flynn, super player

I enjoy it, but for me, the Australian's, in the past, would come into it in the 2nd 2 quarters as their greater fitness levels would shine through and mask the obvious gulf in skills (with a round football), but our boys fitness levels are incredible at the minute. I cannot see the boys from down under winning another series. Could be close in Australia due to travel lag etc, but that's maybe as close as it will come. Good to see a great crowd in Breffni cheering the men on

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 19, 2013, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on October 19, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
What a load of shit of a game!
Michael Murphy chose to play in that nonsense on the eve of a county final!

Fk me!!

These boys are selected because they are among the best footballers in Ireland and have a chance to be acknowledged as such and you can't understand why they might want to play?

Murphy plays for Donegal, if he can do what he is asked to do in that system then the IC must be a dream.

If he got injured like Walsh did participating in this absolute abomination of an event, and his club lost the county final as a result would you shrug your shoulders and say "Ah well, them's the breaks".
Do the players actually enjoy playing in this thing or is it just a means to an end, i.e. they get to say they represented their country?
Lord knows it's nigh on impossible to watch.
Thank god this will be the last year of it anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J OGorman

Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2013, 09:45:12 PM

Fk me!!

These boys are selected because they are among the best footballers in Ireland and have a chance to be acknowledged as such and you can't understand why they might want to play?

Murphy plays for Donegal, if he can do what he is asked to do in that system then the IC must be a dream.

If he got injured like Walsh did participating in this absolute abomination of an event, and his club lost the county final as a result would you shrug your shoulders and say "Ah well, them's the breaks".
Do the players actually enjoy playing in this thing or is it just a means to an end, i.e. they get to say they represented their country?

Why watch it? Or for that matter continuously harp on about it?...I wouldn't dream of watching the Nolan Show or X Factor for example

sam03/05

Why anyone would pay to go watch this at Croke Park next week is beyond me!
Lucky to get 20k at it I'd say.

rodney trotter

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 19, 2013, 09:52:44 PM

Because people actually like it, not dry shites like yourself and others on here.

Zulu

Fk me!!

I presume they do as they actually play it and as Walsh pointed out he's been travelling up from Cork for the past seven weeks to train for it. It isn't a great watch anymore but if you don't like it don't watch it, me? I'll be viewing the next game for sure.

J OGorman

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 19, 2013, 09:52:44 PM

what would the average attendance of a county football match be? I wouldnt have minded playing in front of 20k  ;)

BennyCake

That was dire stuff tonight. People moan about the Railway Cup but they had cracking games this last couple of years, yet nobody goes to it, while the Rules is always packed. Baffling!

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 19, 2013, 10:02:09 PM

Fk me!!

I presume they do as they actually play it and as Walsh pointed out he's been travelling up from Cork for the past seven weeks to train for it. It isn't a great watch anymore but if you don't like it don't watch it, me? I'll be viewing the next game for sure.

Whether people watch it or don't watch is neither here nor there.
Murphy has a county final to play in.
TOMORROW.
Does that mean anything?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sea The Stars

I would always have been a fan of this series but today I realised how poor a spectacle it really is. I don't know if the referees were sure of the rules, the Australian players certainly weren't. Must be the only game in the world where the people playing it don't know the rules.

In saying that, I can see why people might enjoy it. In the past the physicality would have appealed. Also in the early days of the series - around '98 - '01, the Irish probably weren't as organised defensively. Tonight the kicking from the Australia was terrible probably because they got so little time to steady themselves down. It did open open up a bit in the third and fourth quarters.

And the most important thing for me in retaining the series is the appeal it has to young people. Juveniles like to watch the best players and their favourite players.  This is probably the best opportunity for them to do this.

For me though, I won't be going out of my way to watch next week's game.

rodney trotter

Murphy didn't pick up any Injury and yes, it does mean something, He should never have been in that ridiculous situation, Donegal had plenty of time to wrap up the Club Championship.

Rossfan

Just back from Breffni.
Good win by our lads and fair play to them. Aussies were awful for most of the game and it must be the first time ever at a game I was glad to see the opposition scoring a goal. Hopefully a week together in this country will get the Aussies more in tune with things and at least make a game of it next week.
Looking throught the posts above -  the backwoodsmen are really out on force tonight expressing their usual negative opinions about something " they have no interst in".
As for that Jinxy ( probably with Sam 0305 the worst of them  :-[)  - What business is it of yours what Michael Murphy does?   
Pathetic whingin effin moaners - sicken yer arse.
Anyway I'll be in Croker next week too  :D.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

say it before, its the 19th of october, all club football should be over by September, Donegal didst go overly far this year so why the championship not played off/ Only Donegal can answer that, and that is where the problem lies