Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Tell me this.  Are these guys are getting funded to play this? If it were the case would that not be the GAA breaking  its own rules?  Some of you international compromise rules aficionados might know better.  What could an international compromise ruler potentially earn if they were paid for their efforts?

J OGorman

Quote from: rrhf on October 17, 2013, 12:57:57 PM
Tell me this.  Are these guys are getting funded to play this? If it were the case would that not be the GAA breaking  its own rules?  Some of you international compromise rules aficionados might know better.  What could an international compromise ruler potentially earn if they were paid for their efforts?

ask yourself, you seem more interested in the series than anyone else on the board  ;)

Is it a GAA sport? More power to these guys if they get some mileage and a new pair of socks (and a cooked dinner after each training session and match) and hopefully no broken bones

rrhf

Do they really need new socks? 

;)
I think the bi annual "lets give the guys an insight into how a professional football career might look like only we are GAA and dont pay," could be really important for maintaining industrial relations later. 

Rossfan

Surprised we haven't had the oul chestnut - "It'll be the end of the GAA as we know it"
I believe each player is on €1,000 per game and Paul Earley told me he's retiring to a sunny Country when his stint is over.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rrhf

tommysmith

They are lying in Radisson the next 3 night's I'm sure they are getting well looked after.

Jinxy

"Some people don't agree with the series and don't agree with the rules, but for me, it's the highest I can go in terms of my football..."

Taken from an interview with Sean Cavanagh in todays Indo.
Do these lads realise they're not actually playing football?
It bugs me that some of our top gaelic footballers equate playing in this nonsense with winning an All Ireland.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Agreed,  I enjoyed my football but when I got the chance to represent my country at kabaddibingoballey It was a great honour.  I remember standing on the steps of the Turkish beach crying as I had pulverised all options in front of me and could take pints in the knowledge that I had brought great honour back to my people and their fleg. To go from a simple club like my own to such heights was unheard of

Jinxy

The normally excellent Dermot Earley described playing in the IR series as the 'pinnacle' of a footballers career the other day.

rodney trotter

Why does it bug you so much that they like they for Ireland? So what if it not Gaelic football , how would it be, its a mix of both codes.
It offers the best players in the Country to play together on the one side.

stephenite

Jesus, if lads are proud to represent their country playing International Rules they shouldn't have to justify it to anyone.

For every Sean Cavanagh there'll be another high profile player who couldn't give two hoots about it

wherefromreferee?

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1810131057-mckaigue-continues-a-rich-derry-tradition/

"I think it's just the general journey from playing U10 football with your club to the pinnacle of your career, playing with the best of the best, being coached by the best of the best"
In your Endo!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 10:44:08 AM
The normally excellent Dermot Earley described playing in the IR series as the 'pinnacle' of a footballers career the other day.

Cmon Jinx the top notch brigadier general even got lost coming out if his croke park dressing room at one stage .....................blamed the dubs on a pincer move

Will watch it put will pray that none of the lads get harpooned and suffer injuries

Jinxy

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2013, 10:56:30 AM
Why does it bug you so much that they like they for Ireland? So what if it not Gaelic football , how would it be, its a mix of both codes.

It's not that they enjoy playing in the IR series that bugs me.
The best of luck to them.
It's the whole 'pinnacle of your career' stuff that I hate.
The pinnacle of your career as an intercounty footballer is winning an All Ireland, an Allstar, footballer of the year etc. while playing for your county.
Not togging out in a novelty exhibition game.
Some players have built this up into something it isn't in order to further inflate their own egos basically.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 12:45:20 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2013, 10:56:30 AM

It's not that they enjoy playing in the IR series that bugs me.
The best of luck to them.
It's the whole 'pinnacle of your career' stuff that I hate.
The pinnacle of your career as an intercounty footballer is winning an All Ireland, an Allstar, footballer of the year etc. while playing for your county.
Not togging out in a novelty exhibition game.
Some players have built this up into something it isn't in order to further inflate their own egos basically.

Why do you pick what's the pinnacle of their career? Is it not down to them as individuals to decide that?
Exhibition game or not, they are representation Ireland against another country in what is a competitive game. And they are measuring themselves against professional sports people. Personally I can see why they have pride in that and I don't see why people would begrudge them that!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit