Latest Scores - Soccer

Started by Redgreenery, April 06, 2007, 08:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 17, 2007, 09:51:18 PM
In other words, no hope!

From where Northern Ireland have come, this is riches beyond their wildest dreams.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2007, 09:44:14 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 17, 2007, 09:39:40 PM
I personally don't think it matters how a country done at previous tournaments that were 2,4 or even 8 years ago..
I also don't think getting to the last two World Cup 1/4 finals and the 1/4 finals of the last Euro Cup is exactly a utterly cat record..
Anyway they haven't qualified yet so here's hoping they don't!

So you think when English players are lining up penalties they're not dwelling on the record of their predecessors? You only had to look at the way the Italians bust a gut to try and win the 2006 World Cup semi-final in extra-time rather than let it go to penalties to know that history matters. You only have to look at Waterford's implosion this year against Limerick to know that history matters (ouch, that hurt).

Don't agree with you at all too be honest i don't think it would bother Lampard,Rooney,Gerrard,Owen that Pearce,Waddle or Southgate missed a penalty in tournaments in the past.
Its all on the day if you ask me and for your Waterford reference well they just aren't good enough nothing to do with their past history so don't be using that as an excuse  ;)
Night now im off to da pub for pints of Smithwicks
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2007, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 17, 2007, 09:51:18 PM
In other words, no hope!

From where Northern Ireland have come, this is riches beyond their wildest dreams.
Oh I'm not slating them at all, but they appear to be relying on a lot of circumstances - and strange ones at that. Spain are 2 up in any event.

Can't remember the last time ROI beat a big (reasonably big) team in a qualifier, Holland in 2001 possibly the last one, and NI have beaten Spain, England, Sweden and Denmark in the last two years. And on meagre playing resources too, they may be a grating shower to listen to/read here, but you have to admire their performances over the last 2 and a bit years, while we stumble from shambles to shambles.

Some goal by Healy too.

deiseach

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 17, 2007, 09:53:26 PM
Don't agree with you at all too be honest i don't think it would bother Lampard,Rooney,Gerrard,Owen that Pearce,Waddle or Southgate missed a penalty in tournaments in the past.

The empirical evidence suggests you are wrong. As a Liverpool fan, don't tell me you don't find Liverpool's record of only ever losing one penalty shoot-out - and that the least important they've ever played in, an early round League Cup tie against Wimbledon, compared to success in two European Cup finals, a European Cup semi-final, an FA Cup final, a League Cup final and an FA cup semi-final - to be a source of reassurance. Jamie Carragher has netted his two penalty shoot out kicks for Liverpool like bleedin' Stuart Gauld, in his one effort for England he thought you didn't have to wait for the ref's whistle to take it!

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 17, 2007, 09:53:26 PMIts all on the day if you ask me and for your Waterford reference well they just aren't good enough nothing to do with their past history so don't be using that as an excuse  ;)

What, not good enough to beat Limerick? Ahem . . .

Owenmoresider

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2007, 10:04:18 PM

The empirical evidence suggests you are wrong. As a Liverpool fan, don't tell me you don't find Liverpool's record of only ever losing one penalty shoot-out - and that the least important they've ever played in, an early round League Cup tie against Wimbledon, compared to success in two European Cup finals, a European Cup semi-final, an FA Cup final, a League Cup final and an FA cup semi-final - to be a source of reassurance.
i suppose another nod to past history is Liverpool's record in European semi-finals itself, as alluded to here a few weeks back. Only one loss IIRC? Compared to United's poor semi record.

deiseach

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 17, 2007, 10:00:48 PM
Can't remember the last time ROI beat a big (reasonably big) team in a qualifier, Holland in 2001 possibly the last one, and NI have beaten Spain, England, Sweden and Denmark in the last two years. And on meagre playing resources too, they may be a grating shower to listen to/read here, but you have to admire their performances over the last 2 and a bit years, while we stumble from shambles to shambles.

There was an utterly jaw-dropping piece of trivia on the FAI thread to the effect that the Republic have defeated a country that had previously qualified for a major tournament away from home on three occasions - Scotland in 1987, Turkey in 1991 and Northern Ireland in 1994 (it's on Wikipedia). The sooner people realise that the 1990's were freakish and we are reverting to the mean, the better for everyone's sanity.

5 Sams

In fairness lads that was some result for OWC tonight......having said that there will be a bit of embarrassment about the fact that the UTV cameras managed to pick out everyone in the crowd with a Union Jack, Rangers hat or scarf on them...amazing coincidence.
The Aristocrat Years

deiseach

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 17, 2007, 10:08:31 PM
i suppose another nod to past history is Liverpool's record in European semi-finals itself, as alluded to here a few weeks back. Only one loss IIRC? Compared to United's poor semi record.

*Liverpool geek mentally sorts through history* I can think of three defeats in a semi-final, Inter in 1965 (the Eyeties bought off the ref! :D), Leeds in 1971 in the Fairs Cup and PSG in 1997 in the Cup Winners Cup.

I need help.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2007, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 17, 2007, 10:08:31 PM

*Liverpool geek mentally sorts through history* I can think of three defeats in a semi-final, Inter in 1965 (the Eyeties bought off the ref! :D), Leeds in 1971 in the Fairs Cup and PSG in 1997 in the Cup Winners Cup.

I need help.
Must have been just the European Cup semis then, thus 1965 being the lone defeat. Easy enough to recall Tottenham's EC semi record unfortunately. :-[

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 17, 2007, 10:13:07 PM
In fairness lads that was some result for OWC tonight......having said that there will be a bit of embarrassment about the fact that the UTV cameras managed to pick out everyone in the crowd with a Union Jack, Rangers hat or scarf on them...amazing coincidence.

Good result alright but hardly an amazing one. Even our shower humped the Danes 4-0 over in Denmark this year albeit in a friendly.

They must have been cringing though when the beeb seemed to find every Rangers jersey and scarf during the celebrations afterwards.

That said a very good campaign for NI.

deiseach

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 17, 2007, 10:34:23 PM
They must have been cringing though when the beeb seemed to find every Rangers jersey and scarf during the celebrations afterwards.

Were there that many? I haven't seen any in the few NI games I've watched recently.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2007, 10:42:40 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 17, 2007, 10:34:23 PM

Were there that many? I haven't seen any in the few NI games I've watched recently.

Seemed to be a fair few scarfs around alright and one or two jersies but hard to tell if they weren't just showing the same ones over and over.

pintsofguinness

Noticed a few Ranger's things myself and several of the NI Flags had the union jacks in the corner, the NI flag is a divisive enough symbol IMHO without the rest.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2007, 10:04:18 PM

The empirical evidence suggests you are wrong. As a Liverpool fan, don't tell me you don't find Liverpool's record of only ever losing one penalty shoot-out - and that the least important they've ever played in, an early round League Cup tie against Wimbledon, compared to success in two European Cup finals, a European Cup semi-final, an FA Cup final, a League Cup final and an FA cup semi-final - to be a source of reassurance. Jamie Carragher has netted his two penalty shoot out kicks for Liverpool like bleedin' Stuart Gauld, in his one effort for England he thought you didn't have to wait for the ref's whistle to take it!

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 17, 2007, 09:53:26 PMIts all on the day if you ask me and for your Waterford reference well they just aren't good enough nothing to do with their past history so don't be using that as an excuse  ;)

What, not good enough to beat Limerick? Ahem . . .

How can i be wrong it's my opinion just because you don't agree with me doesn't make me wrong and you right or vice versa for that matter..For every bit of evidence you give for you opinion i could counter act it with examples where history has nothing to do with how a team preforms in any given situation or match or tournament so ya know what ya can do with your empirical evidence..  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Not outside the realms of possibility to see NI qualify. Spain have already qualified so will not be as motivated. Sweden are shite at the minute (lost 3-0 today) and Latvia had a 4-1 win.

Fullerton will end up in the Royal again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.